Microsoft Games Patcher: Use Microsoft Games from Windows 7 in Windows 8.x/10

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Tito, Apr 10, 2012.

1. SOJ

SOJ MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2015
    It is not working for me either. Win 8.1 The program seems to just sit there and play that funny music. I assume you need to direct it where to find the Microsoft Games folder but there doesn't seem to be any way to do that. I have downloaded several time to no avail.

2. LWS

LWS MDL Novice

Feb 19, 2015
    After almost 3 yrs. there still seems to be quite an interest in this subject, but there doesn’t seem to be a universal process and apparently, less than universal success. I am using post #235 to be my approach (since this has been around since post #1). But as post #235 shows, it doesn’t always work.
    My Experience (which hasn’t worked):

1. Copied Spider Solitaire & CardGames.dll from Program Files on a Machine running Win 7 (in a 32bit mode) onto a USB Drive.
    2. Downloaded (microsoft.games.patcher.1.2-patch.exe) from MediaFire (also onto the USB Drive). RGhost site doesn’t seem to have the patch, it downloads a browser called Torch.
    3. Plugged USB Drive into my Laptop running Win 8.1. I get the same message as post #235, "This app can't run on your PC. To find a version..."
    4. Plugged USB Drive into a Desktop running Win 7 (w/o MS Games) running in 64 bit mode. I get the message “microsoft.games.patcher.1.2-patch.exe is not a valid Win 32 App”.

Questions:
    1. Does the Tito response in post #236 apply? I pulled the game from a 32 bit machine.
    2. Am I trying to run the patch to make changes to the game.exe file? Can I do that while it is still on the USB drive?
    3. If they must be copied to the 64 bit machine before running do I load them into Program Files (64bit) or Program Files (x86)?
    4. Do I need additional .dll files?

3. shahidul01717

shahidul01717 MDL Novice

Mar 17, 2015
    this post can be very successful. i think most people want it but they dont even know whether it is possible to play win 7 games in win 8

4. ugftbvufydd

ugftbvufydd MDL Novice

Mar 18, 2015
    Been lookin for a way to play those games again, thanks/

5. jamiejolang

jamiejolang MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    Thanks for posting this solution. Going to try it now.

6. timdb89

timdb89 MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    thanks for this

7. POxullate

POxullate MDL Novice

Mar 21, 2015
    Cheers! Thank you for this :))

8. ggafni

ggafni MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    This is great! Thanks.:clap:

9. andybamh

andybamh MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Amazing! Thank you.

10. vapor26

vapor26 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks

Your instructions on how to use Windows 7 games on Windows 8 are exactly what I was looking for. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks so much.

11. anon758

anon758 MDL Novice

Mar 22, 2015
    Thanks! No idea why microsoft now thinks I need a full screen to play minesweeper.

12. Could someone please make a mirror of this patch somewhere? The download links don't work anymore.

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    First post updated.

14. Jake20

Jake20 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2018
    I know this is a super old thread but I really want to get these games working on 10 for my 90 YO uncle. I edited the games with HexEdit and copied them to 10. Same folder. But, I cannot get them to run. Nothing happens when I click on the exe file. I tried setting Windows 7 compatibility and no luck.

Has anyone gotten these to work on Windows 10?

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Jake20

It would be better if you opt for this.

For newer Windows 10 builds, you need to supply slc.dll too.

16. puterpro

puterpro MDL Novice

Sep 24, 2007
    Just a heads up for the latest update of Windows 10. (For me, 4/2019) Apparently MS in it's infinite stupidity has killed any installations of this workaround.

However the fix is simple. they didn't REMOVE it they just DISABLED it.

1. Go to the location of the game you want to fix (EX: for Freecell C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\FreeCell)
    2, Find the Freecell executable (Freecell.exe). You will find they changed the name to FreeCell.exe.BAK. Remove the .BAK (be sure to get the "dot")
    3. Say YES to the warning message.
    4. You'll have to recreate any shortcuts. For the Desktop - RIGHT click and drag the freecell,exe to the desktop and click "Create Shortcuts here"
    for the Taskbar, just left click and drag it down to the position you want.
    5 Repeat for any other games you like to play.
    Done.

Hope this helps some of us who like the older games!

My current Freecell Stats (I never cheat, if I lose I take the loss)-
    9750 Games Played
    9458 Games Won
    Win % - 97%

Yesterday I won one of the few games I could never beat #2552. Took 7 losses but I finally got that one! Woot.
    One reason I like FreeCell is you can win EVERY game.

Have fun folks!