Microsoft Games Patcher: Use Microsoft Games from Windows 7 in Windows 8.x/10

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Tito, Apr 10, 2012.

1. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks works great :worthy:

2. MikeMoss

MikeMoss MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi

Well I've worked at this for several days and I can't get it to work on my computer.

I copied the Microsoft Games Folder to my Windows 8 Program Files folder, which is not on C: but on my D:\ drive.
    It's where I have all my Windows 8 software installed.

I copied Cardgames.dll from my Windows 7 System32 folder to each of the game folders i.e. the Freecell folder which contains the Freecell.exe file.

I even copied the patcher to the same folder.

I ran the patcher, it said Cannot find the file search for the file"

I clicked yes, and found the Chess.exe file.

I clicked Open.

I get the Cannot find the file search for the file? Again.

This time it's looking for the Freecell.exe file.

I click yes, located the Freecell.exe file.

Same message cannot find the file now it's looking for the next game etc.

Go through the whole list.

Went back and tried to run Freecell.exe nothing happens?

Here's a screen shot...

Ok it won't let me paste in the link.
    Won't let me post it actual size this is pretty hard to see, but here it is.

View attachment 14886

Anyone see what I'm doing wrong?
    I really miss my FreeCell!!!

Mike

3. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Tito,

I have some very good news. I tried installing Purple Place from my Windows 7 again on Windows 8. And I tried the patch and this time it worked. I now have Purple Place running on both my Windows 8 netbooks.The game is called Purple Place not Purple Palace I made a mistake about that.

But what I did wrong the first time was that I just copied the Purple Place program file only onto Windows 8. And just put it in the Programs file as Purple Place. But you cannot do that. You must copy the whole program file Microsoft Games with the games you want inside it. And you cannot rename it. Or Windows won't recognise the program.Also you must paste the Microsoft Games program file with the games you want in it in Programs on C drive.

So Microsoft Games is the program file and the games you want to use are inside the file. And if you want to add more games from Windows 7 later.For example if I wanted to add Heats to Windows 8. I must copy the Hearts program file from the Microsoft Games folder on Windows 7. And then paste it INSIDE the Microsoft Games folder on Windows 8.Where purple Place is, and then run the patch again.

But you only have to run the patch once. The first time you install the game. After that, the games work the same way they do on Windows 7.

So I just want to thank you Tito,for creating this very useful patch. Because without it I and other people would not be able to run any Windows 7 or Windows Vista games on Windows 8. But thanks to you now we can.

By the way as well as installing all of the Windows XP games on Windows 8. I have also installed Microsoft Entertainment Pack,puzzle pack. This is made for Windows 95 or 98 but it works on Windows 8. And you get 3 puzzle games. I downloaded it from the Microsoft website. And all of the games work on Windows 8. Check it out the old games are quite interesting. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MikeMoss

MikeMoss MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi Andrea!

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    @Andrea
    Thanks for the confirmation... actually you made the mistake again; its "Purble Place" :D

@MikeMoss
    The patch queries registry & tries to find the Program Files folder & then Microsoft Games & so on. If not, then it prompts you to choose the correct file. Also make sure that you have copied cardgames.dll for the card games as instructed.

6. MikeMoss

MikeMoss MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    Hi Tito

Apparently the problem was that it wanted my to put the Microsoft Games folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games.
    Once I did that it worked.

Because I have Windows 8 on a small partition I have all my other software installed in a folder at D:\Windows 8 Program Files.
    Even though I kept directing it to the .exe file it didn't work until I placed it in the default location.

Everything is up and running now, it did it with one click.

Thanks a lot!!!

Mike

7. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well what ever they call the game Purble Place is it? it is a very nice game and it looks good on Windows 8. And thanks to you it works on Windows 8.

And yes A did copy the dill file Card Games.dill from Windows 7 and put it in the Windows System 32 folder on Windows 8. just in case I change my mind and want to install more Windows 7 games. T also had to copy the dill file Cards.dill from Windows XP . And I also put that in the System 32 folder.To get the Windows XP games to work.

There are Metro games on Windows 8. But because I am running it on a netbook,the Metro apps don't work.But that does not matter because you can just use the non Metro software. And you still have access to all of the Control Panel and computer settings.

But as well as having all of the Windows XP games and one Windows 7 game on Windows 8.I also have Microsoft Entertainment pack,puzzle pack. Which is 3 Windows 95 games. I downloaded this from the Microsoft website and it works on both Windows 8 and Windows 7.

It is a trial version from 1997 of 3 puzzle games made for Windows NT and 95 but works on Windows 8 and Windows 7. As well as on Windows XP and Windows Vista. But of course they are old games and so no longer supported. But you can still use them.

What do you think about those games for Windows 8? Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    i've upgraded Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x86 to windows 8 CP x86 using (Windows 8 ESD), however after upgrading i found Microsoft Games Folder in Windows 8 Program files by it self:
    View attachment 14895 >>> View attachment 14896

can i use this? or what should i do?

9. woot332

woot332 MDL Senior Member

Feb 18, 2011
    try to start a game, if doesn't work patch it and try again:)

10. MikeMoss

MikeMoss MDL Novice

Apr 19, 2012
    I too only had the games folder in Windows 7s C:\Program files.
    I used it and it worked fine, but I did have to put it in Windows 8s C:\Program Files, when I tried to run it in a different location I couldn't get it to work.

11. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    it is games shortcuts and empty folders o_O, should i remove it and follow the trick?

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Leave it as it is.... just follow the procedure.

13. Flannel

Flannel MDL Novice

Apr 26, 2012
    Hi, your patch and instructions worked. Norton virus checker objected so had to remove patch from quarantine. Many thanks Flannel/DaveY.

14. Cleric

Cleric MDL Member

Aug 14, 2009
    sorry for late, i remove the whole folder and bring it back from a working Win.7.Ult.sp1 and it works 100% without any errors or bugs and im play chess titans right now.

thx for help :biggrin:

15. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Thanks for the link :)

16. Nawzil

Nawzil MDL Guru

Jun 18, 2011
    Thanks.
    At least that is what I can do to help.

Contact me if you want to host anything else, I have 100 GB space on my webserver.

Btw why didn't you post that download link on the first post yet?

17. maya77

maya77 MDL Member

Aug 30, 2009
    #58 maya77, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  18. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    #59 Andrea Borman, May 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  19. _spinner_

_spinner_ MDL Addicted

Apr 3, 2011