Microsoft Games Patcher: Use Microsoft Games from Windows 7 in Windows 8.x/10

Discussion in 'MDL Projects and Applications' started by Tito, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Pikey

Pikey MDL Junior Member

Aug 1, 2009
    Working good here , thanks Tito and woot332!!
    Missing hearts would have bothered much more than anything else!!

2. Star

Star MDL Junior Member

May 4, 2011
    Good Jobs!If can increase the MineSweeper.exe will be better:p

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  4. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview on 2 of my netbooks and they are both running Windows 8 as the only operating system. I just want to say that I too have tried installing Windows 7 games on Windows 8. I did this by transferring the Microsoft Games program files from my Windows 7 laptop to my windows 8 laptop. But I could not get them to run at all.

But however when I installed the Windows XP games from my Windows XP laptop the same way I did with Windows 7 games. I had no problems,all of the games from Windows XP work great on Windows 8.

So how about installing and using the games from Windows XP? As all of them work on Windows 8. You will find all of the exe files for Solitaire and the other games in the Windows system 32 folder on Windows XP. And you will also need to copy the dill file Cards.dill also found in system 32 on Windows XP.The program files for Pinball can be found in Programs folder in the Windows NT file.

So all of the Windows XP games are working great on my Windows 8. But as for the registry patch,I think that is risky. As when I tried such a patch on my Windows 7 Starter to enable Aero,Windows would not validate. So I had to uninstall the patch. So patches could cause the same problem on Windows 8. It would be much safer to find out what dill files you need to run the Windows 7 games. As many dill files for Windows Vista and Windows 7 programs are not included in Windows 8. But they are in Windows 7. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    1. Windows XP games are based on old graphics. Also you can't find Chess Titans.

2. It is not a registry patch; its a direct file patching.

6. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well the Windows XP games are the same as the Windows 7 ones. But I like Purple Palace, the Windows 7 game. But none of the Windows 7 games work on Windows 8. I don't know why.

But I am just worried that the patch might deactivate Windows.Or that it might affect the validation of Windows. That is what happened with the Aero patch on Windows 7 Starter. Andrea Borman.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    What about the graphics quality?? LOL :D

It only modifies the game exes, doesn't touch any other system files. If you are unsure, then read other users' feedback.

8. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    So there are some side effects to the patch like in the post above. But the games on Windows 7,Solitaire,Hearts,Freecell,Minesweeper do have a more modern appearance than the Windows XP versions.

But as I have already got the same games on Windows 8 except that they are all the Windows XP versions. There is no point in having two versions of the same game. But I like purple Palace,also Microsoft games, that would look good on Windows 8. But unfortunately it does not work on Windows 8.

But why is it that the Windows 7 games that are also the same games on Windows Vista,work on both versions of Windows, but not on Windows 8? What is the reason for that?

If it was just the case of missing dill files we could just copy those over from Windows 7 onto Windows 8. Andrea Borman.

9. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    See the next post:

Not just missing dll, there is a version checking which has to be removed to play these games under 8. The patch does exactly so. :smokecowboy:

10. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Well the only game I want is Purple Palace.Which is a very nice and colorful game that is on Windows Vista and Windows 7.Purple palace has 2 different games on it,Comfry Cakes and Purple Shop,which I play on my Windows 7.

But the question is will this file patch or whatever it is that gets the games working on Windows 8,effect the validation of Windows?

Remember I said in am earlier post that when I tried Personalization Panel Aero patch on Windows 7 Starter. Which is a patch that enables Aero on Windows 7 Starter. I kept getting pop ups from Windows Genuine Advantage, telling me my copy of Windows was not genuine when it was. And Windows would not validate while the patch was installed.

So I had to uninstall the Aero patch and Windows did validate and was back to normal.

But how do we know that this games patcher won't effect the activation or validation of Windows 8?

I think that is cause for concern because if Windows won't validate,you will not be able to use products such as Microsoft Office and other products that ask check for Windows validation.

So is it worth taking that chance just for one game,Purple Palace? Which is the only game I want.Andrea Borman.

11. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Update-

Well I went ahead and installed both Purple Palace the game from Microsoft games in Windows 7. I did this by copying the program files over from Windows 7 to Windows 8. Then I installed the games patch. I downloaded the patch from the link given here on this thread.But it did not work.

All it did was play this annoying music. And when I tried to patch all of the files from purple palace,I got an error message. So nothing was patched and so Purple Palace still won't work on Windows 8. So I guess that's it,it cannot run on Windows 8. I only installed the one game I did not copy the files of any of the others,because I already have those from Windows XP games. And all of the windows XP games are working on Windows 8.Andrea Borman.

12. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Read the instructions carefully... what is the architecture of your Windows 7 & Windows 8 CP??

13. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    About the Aero patch you discussed earlier.... it modifies core system files & slc.dll which controls Windows licensing & SKU related topics. Thus Windows becomes non-genuine after applying that patch.

Solution: Don't use Starter & Home Basic. :D

14. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    Thanks so much...works greaton my win 8 WDP

15. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    What do you mean by architecture? Well I have got Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit Service pack 1 on the netbook I copied the files from. And I have got Windows 8 Consumer Preview 32 bit on the other netbook.

Well when you first buy a 1GB ram netbook they all come with Windows 7 Starter like the one I got given to me as a present recently.

But what I do now is that I do a custom install,a clean install of Windows 7 from the full installation CD. I have bought a few Windows 7 Home Premium full installation CDs.

And now when I get a new netbook I do a clean install of Windows 7 from scratch. This gets rid of that useless Windows 7 Starter. And replaces it with Windows 7 Home Premium.And also by doing a clean install of Windows you don't get any of that unwanted HP or Dell software.Or the horrible IE9 that the makers put in. You just get a clean install of Windows 7,Home Premium, Professional or Ultimate.And of course IE8 which comes with Windows 7.

And the full installation CDs are bundled with Service Pack 1 which is handy as it saves time installing it yourself. You get a 32 bit and a 64 bit CD in the pack and of course it comes with the product key. But I just install the 32 bit Windows.

If you have several netbooks you have to have several Windows 7 CDs, because you can only use one product key per computer. You cannot use the same product key on a second computer, if you have used it to activate Windows on another computer.Because it won't activate.

So if for example you want to install Windows on 2 computers you must have 2 Windows CDs and each have a different product key. And there will come the time when Windows 8 CP will expire. So then I will have to reinstall Windows 7 if I don't upgrade to the final version of Windows 8. That's why I have got several Windows 7 full installation CDs.

And yes, you can run Windows 7 Home Premium or even Windows 7 Ultimate on a netbook. Despite what the shopkeepers tell you. Andrea Borman.

16. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
  17. Andrea Borman

Andrea Borman MDL Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Oh yes.I used Personalization Panel wallpaper changer. Which changes the desktop background in Windows 7 Starter. And that is not an Aero patch and does not affect Windows Activation or validation.There is also Oceanis but Personalization Panel is better.

But now that I have got my plug in USB external DVD drive.Which I plug into my netbook using the USB plug socket.I can play CDs and DVDs and also install Windows and download ISO files and burn them to a DVD. And back up my files on a DVD.

So now I don't have Windows 7 Starter any more. I have several Windows 7 installation CDs. And I have installed Windows 7 Home Premium as a clean install on all of my netbooks.

But when you buy a netbook it only comes with Windows 7 Starter. So you either have to upgrade using Windows Anytime Upgrade or do a clean install like I did.

But I find a clean install is better, as you don't get all of that unwanted HP or Dell software that the makers put on.

You can run Windows 7 Home Premium and even Windows 7 Ultimate on a netbook. It is just that the makers HP or Dell and others are too mean to put any higher edition than Windows 7 Starter on a netbook.

And also on the big laptops they come with 64 bit Windows 7 which I don't like. 32bit is better another reason for doing a clean install of Windows. Then you can install 32bit on a big laptop.

And if you need to reinstall Windows, which is not very often, as Windows is very stable. You can do that from the Windows 7 CD. So you don't need a recovery partition which is wiped out anyway,when you do a clean install of Windows.

So a clean install of Windows is better. Andrea Borman.

18. NCS

NCS MDL Member

Jun 24, 2010
    thanks it works great :worthy: