How to Use New Phoenix Bios Mod Tool to Modify Phoenix/Dell/Insyde/EFI Bios Files

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Busykid508, Nov 30, 2009.

1. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    #1 Busykid508, Nov 30, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    How to Use the Phoenix Mod Tool​

Before delving into how to use the Phoenix Mod Tool, we must understand the three type of bios files by which the tool can modify.

The first bios file is a regular Phoenix Bios. This type of bios usually has a .WPH or .ROM extension.

The second bios file is an Insyde Bios. This has the extension of .FD or .ROM (occasionally, you will find one with the .BIN extension).

The third type of bios file is Dell Phoenix Bios which has the .ROM extension. You can modify this type of bios with the tool only if the DELL Phoenix Bios has an existing SLIC 2.0. Otherwise, the tool will not modify it. You will be able to modify it in its executable form. Any other Dell bios file which the tool rejects is most likely a Phoenix, Award or Ami bios file and you will need to know how to extract the files from its executable form.

NUMBER 1 RULE: You must have a fresh and untouched bios file to modify. You cannot modify a backup of your bios for you cannot backup the platform elements of the bios which allow the bios to be flashed.

You will need the follow items in order to modify your bios. Download them from the links below and Check Back Weekly for Updated Versions of Phoenix Mod Tool and Slics and Certificates:

For those who have regular Phoenix Bios, download your bios from the recommended manufacturer motherboard’s website and unrar the file using Winrar, Universal Extractor or 7ZIP. Most likely the bios will be .WPH or Rom.

For those who have DELL Phoenix Bios, download the dell executable file from Dell’s Support Page Website (www.dell.com).

For those who have Insyde Bios, download the file from the manufacturer’s motherboard website. Most likely the file will be .FD or ROM (Sometimes it is .BIN). If it is in .ROM or .BIN, make of copy of these Insyde bios files and leave the .ROM and .BIN alone and rename the extension to .FD of the copy. So, if I have an Insyde Bios file which is 987B34.ROM or 987B34.BIN, for example, I will leave either one of these files alone and make a copy and change the extension from .ROM or .BIN to .FD of the copy and so I will have 2 files which look like this using our example: 987B34.ROM and 987B34.FD or 987B34.BIN and 987B34.FD. We will modify both files.

NUMBER 2 RULE: If You have a LOADER, CRACK, PATCH or BIOS EMULATOR which was used to activate Windows in the past, YOU MUST UNINSTALL THESE GIMMICKS before proceeding to the next step. A tool which will uninstall these problems is VOATK. Download and install VOATK from one of the following links and follow on-screen instructions: http://www.box.net/shared/ga4588s5lf OR http://box.net/rssdownload/322772086...tand_Alone.rar OR http://www.mediafire.com/?2fkigdmiwlx OR http://www.mediafire.com/file/2fkigd...tand_Alone.rar OR http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ET9PC779

I Assume you have downloaded your bios file and extracted it.

Place all original bios files in a new folder and place this folder and its contents inside Phoenix Mod Tool folder.

Click on PhoenixTool.exe to open. When opened it will look like this illustration below:

[​IMG]

In the Phoenix Mod Tool, find ORIGINAL BIOS. Load your original bios in this field by clicking the button to the right of the field.

After loading the bios, it will parse the bios file to see where all the headers, markers, slics and pubkeys are located and give you a popup of where these files are located in the bios.

Next, we need to choose the Manufacturer of your bios. Presently there are only 3 manufacturers in this field. If your bios is Lenovo or Sony, please choose that field from the drop down menu that is in the button to the right of this field. If you bios is NOT SONY or NOT LENOVO, then choose OTHER.

Next, we need to load the SLIC which we want to use to modify our bios. Click on the button to the right of the SLIC field and choose your SLIC from the different slic folders which are in the SLIC field. It is recommended to choose a SLIC which matches your bios. For example, if you have a SAMSUNG bios, choose a SAMSUNG SLIC and do not choose a NON-SAMSUNG SLIC.

The next step is to load the RW Everything Report if your bios file is PHOENIX. To properly make an RW Everything Report, open RW Everything Report and click on ACCESS – ACPI TABLES and the ACPI Tables will load and open. When ACPI Tables open, click anywhere within the ACPI Table and then click on CONTROL + F2 Keys to save the file. DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME but leave it at is default name: AcpiTbls – You do not need this file for INSYDE BIOS FILES unless you cannot activate windows. Then create a report and load it with your INSYDE bios to correct any problems with your first modified inside bios. You do not need an RW Everything Report for DELL PHOENIX BIOS FILES.

You do not need to choose a Certificate unless you want to make sure the certificate matches the slic which was chosen by you to modify the bios. Note: Matching Certificates for SLIC 2.1 are in the same folder where SLICS 2.1 are located (Located in SLIC21 Folder).

Now you are ready to modify your bios. Don’t worry about the ADVANCED BUTTON (Leave at Default Settings) but click GO BUTTON and this will begin the process of modifying your bios. When finished go to the next bios file, if there is more than one, and modify each one in the same manner by which you modified the first one.

For those who have Phoenix Bios but are not Lenovo or Sony bios files, it is best to flash your bios in DOS, using Phlash17 on a bootable USB flash drive along with modified bios file. Download Phlash17 from here: http://slics.myftp.org/Tools/Phlash 17/Phlash17.rar OR http://www.sendspace.com/file/n4j3uz. To use phlash17 in DOS, type: ph161700 /x /FORCE /O /C /S <NAME OF BIOS FILE> <ENTER>

For those who have Phoenix Bios and are Lenovo and Sony bios files, flash bios with the flash tools that come with it.

For those who have INSYDE bios files, it is best to flash in Windows with the INSYDEFLASH.EXE file that comes with it, if any. If you cannot flash in Windows using INSYDEFLASH.EXE, flash from DOS using FLAs**t.EXE. Download flas**t.exe from here: http://slics.myftp.org/Tools/Flas**t.rar OR http://www.sendspace.com/file/51gt8b. To use flas**t.exe in DOS, type: flas**t <Name Of Bios File> /all <ENTER>​

For those who want Windows Activation and XTRAS:

2. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Link is incomplete for the official website for slics and certs, thanks for a great post tho

3. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    Thank you for letting me know and it has been corrected.:)

4. KotaXor

KotaXor MDL Senior Member

Aug 3, 2009
    This is great, been waiting for phoenix modding.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ratdig

ratdig MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2009
    Works perfect (Samsung) !!! Thank you very very much for this tool and the steps how to do it.

6. ralphb

ralphb MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2009
    Thank you. Works great. HP DV2313CL.:)

7. griffo1000

griffo1000 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    cant get it to work with a Sony VAIO VGN-FS38GP

8. Allo

Allo MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Thanks to all behind this great tool! Glad that it is finally make available to all...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    #9 Busykid508, Dec 2, 2009
    (OP)
  10. catdog215

catdog215 MDL Senior Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Does the New Phoenix Bios Mod tool work with HP dv6646us laptop? when i extract the xxx.exe, i saw two xxx.wph (30CFF32A.WPH, and 30CFF32B.WPH). Which one do i select to mod bios or mod both? thx

11. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    You mod both of them but I am almost certain this bios has been modified and tested and proven to work.....

After modification, rename the files back to their original names.

12. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    #12 catdog215, Dec 2, 2009
  13. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    #13 Busykid508, Dec 2, 2009
    (OP)
    I am uploading the file to the server again....give it about 10 - 12 minutes to finish uploading before downloading it...if you get an 404 error then it has not finished uploading to the server

-Manufacturer: HP
    -Motherboard Model: Pavilion dv6610eg Entertainment Notebook PC (WinFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS - for Notebooks with AMD Processors and Microsoft Windows Vista Based)
    -Bios revision: F.32 (sp42853.exe)
    -Bios Type: Phoenix BIOS
    -Bios Download Link: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp42501-43000/sp42853.exe
    -Source of Bios Download Link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3643790&os=2100&lang=en
    -Winflash Bios Update Tool Included. Determine if your machine is 32 bit or 64 bit and use the modified bios file for that machine - flash bios in DOS using PHLASH17 (PH161700) on bootable usb flash drive - Rename modified bios file 30B5F3D.WPH to bios.wph and at command prompt in DOS, type: ph161700 /x /FORCE /O /C /S bios.wph <ENTER>
    -SLIC: HP 2.1
    -SLP: HP
    -HP Certificate Included
    -Tool: Phoenix Mod Tool v0.041
    -Method: Dynamic - Default Settings
    -Modifier: Busykid508
    -Please provide feedback

CRISDISK BIOS Recovery Files Included

HP_Pavilion_dv6610eg_Entertainment_Notebook_PC_WinFlash_for_HP_Notebook_System_BIOS_for_Notebooks_with_AMD_Processors_and_Microsoft_Windows_Vista_Based-HP-F.32_sp42853.exe-HP_SLIC21_HP_SLP
    http://slics.myftp.org/Hewlett Packard/HP_Pavilion_dv6610eg_Entertainment_Notebook_PC.rar

14. catdog215

Oct 21, 2009
    Thanks alot. I guess this is also work for dv6646us right since it say dv6610eg?

I would like to use usb flash drive as a bootable. from your instruction:
    Step:
    9. Click Start and it will turn the USB Flash Drive into a Bootable USB Flash Drive. Leave your USB Flash Drive in the USB Port - DO NOT REMOVE THE FLASH DRIVE AT THIS POINT.

10. Now, since I do not know what you have for a flash utility from your motherboard website, I can only guess. But if you have a DOS flash Utility, the Modified Bios File and a Autoexc.bat file (this may be missing and is not necessary for all bios), then highlight all 2 - 3 files and right click on it and choose WINRAR - ADD TO ARCHIVE. Give the archive a name and then save the winrar file.

in step #10 (bolded), i do not see an Autoexc.bat.
    to flash bios, is this all i need? hightlight moded 30CFF32A.WPH, 30CFF32B.WPH, and FLASH32 then WINRAR - ADD TO ARCHIVE
    then WINRAR - EXTRACT FILES to bootable usb?

thx

15. griffo1000

griffo1000 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    #15 griffo1000, Dec 2, 2009
    Hi Busykid.

The link in the other post 404's.

Like I said in the other post, I created one and it says that it is OK, but when I go to install it (running Winplash from extracted folder) it tells me that the new and old are the same and stops.

Is there another method I should try??

16. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    #16 Busykid508, Dec 3, 2009
    (OP)
    try the link once again...I just reupped the file for a 3rd time...the server is screwing up badly....use the same link as before:
    http://forums.mydigitallife.net/threads/5864?highlight=phoenix&page=1035

17. griffo1000

griffo1000 MDL Novice

Dec 2, 2009
    Got it this time. Thanks. As soon as I get a chance I'll give it a go.

One last question. Obviously I try and flash with the BIOS in the modified BIOS folder, but do I use the BIOS.WPH or the R0084J1.WPH.

Sorry for all the questions. Just don't want to brick it.

18. Busykid508

Busykid508 MDL Guru

Jun 4, 2009
    Follow the direction of which I gave and the rest will follow without problems.

19. ziphead

ziphead MDL Novice

Dec 3, 2009
    Toshiba M305-S4910

I did the bios mod on Toshiba, but there are no Toshiba ultimate slp keys yet.

I tried the other keys for ultimate, but they come back invalid for activation.

I tried the toshiba home premium key and it recognized it as valid if I re-load to home premium.

Do I have to re-doo the bios mod under a key that exists like Dell or Lenova? I tried to do that and got "unable to integrate" error.

Any help offered appreciated.

20. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    You also need certificate