How to use Windows Refresh feature?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by free1975yuly, Feb 12, 2013.

1. free1975yuly

free1975yuly MDL Expert

Aug 24, 2011
    I used refresh Windows feature from control panel but after process is complete I see that refreshed Windows is not work like I expected I mean is not working like new fresh installed Windows.I then used ccleaner and other type of software to clean-up my registry and I deleted windows.old folder too.After run Widows disk cleaner and disk defragmenter Windows is still bugy,I mean Windows freezing sometime or does not respond.What is to do with?This is the reason for I decided to start a new thread: To ask at MDL how to use this Windows feature to be like clean install. I read elsewhere that still remain Windows registry key and other garbage from previous Windows installation.:(

2. bk109

bk109 MDL Senior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    If you want,you can make yourself a custom refresh image the next time you finish setting up your system ,which can be used without the need for external media (usb/dvd alike). The added bonus is that it restores most installed apps and drivers,so it can be a one stop shop to recover your system to a known good configuration
    just enter these commands in an administrative cmd prompt

recimg.exe /createimage C:\Backup\CurrentSetup\ <<<that's my personal path for the custom refresh image,but you can use something else.. just follow the same syntax). This will make the image(yes,it takes awhile,but the file itself is surprisingly small - my latest one is 8 gigabyte for a 100 gig C:\ partition

recimg.exe /setcurrent <folder you created earlier> <<<this sets the image you created as the default one (though you can have as many as you please).. with the example setup,the command should look like recimg.exe /setcurrent C:\Backup\CurrentSetup\

..and that's it - you have a custom refresh image that'll restore even more of your stuff than the default implementation AND doesn't need a CD/USB to run