How to virtualize Microsoft Office 2010 with VMWare Thinapp

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by a_catalin, Aug 29, 2011.

1. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    #1 a_catalin, Aug 29, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. sushil1576

sushil1576 MDL Senior Member

Jul 3, 2009
    Good one..will try this out later..thanks

3. a_catalin

a_catalin MDL Member

Mar 4, 2011
    I made some small improvements to the guide...

4. poor dude

poor dude MDL Junior Member

Mar 21, 2010
  5. Soulfate

Soulfate MDL Member

Feb 14, 2011
    By using this "trick" to bypass the weakness of Thinapp (it's unable to recognize the %ALLUSERSPROFILE%), it will randomly fail if Office is already installed or has been installed on the computer.
    I think the source of this problem is the interpretation of the variable %Common AppData% by Thinapp.

Yesterday, I've found a way to perfectly workaround this weakness with a very good result:
    1. Move the "Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform" folder from "%drive_C%\Documents and Settings\All Users" to "%Profile%".
    2. Add the following text in HKEY_CURRENT_USER.txt:
    isolation_writecopy HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Environment
    Value=ALLUSERSPROFILE
    REG_EXPAND_SZ~#2325USERPROFILE#2325#2300
    Value=ProgramData
    REG_EXPAND_SZ~#2325USERPROFILE#2325#2300

3. (OPTIONALLY) Move all the "%Common AppData%" content into "%Profile%" and edit all the %Common AppData% entries in package.ini

In the virtual environment, %ALLUSERSPROFILE% and %ProgramData% will be equal to the %USERPROFILE% which means that the common profile will be the user profile and it's not to Thinapp to intrepret and convert the %USERPROFILE% variable but to the Windows environment (and I think it's why it works better).
    This operation is not a problem for a portable (or thinapped) application because "user files" or "all users files" have no sense.
    So, you can move all the "%Common AppData%" files and folder into "%Profile%".

Now, I can launch a Thinapped Office 2010 on a computer with an Office 2010 product installed (if the "real" OSPPSVC service is closed, of course).

I hope it will help you!

6. Corporal

Corporal MDL Novice

Jun 25, 2012
    thx for link.

7. Team 7U15

Team 7U15 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    was surfing the net and found this great forum. but I'm at a disadvantage because my language is Portuguese from Brazil and I have to translate. anyway, I liked it very much.

I managed to create here activated Office 2010 with ThinApp 4.7.2

and is functioning normally and activated

detail other than the method taught herein is as follows:

1 - clean computer only with the net framework 2.0 installed

2 - Do the ThinApp prescan

3 - Install Office 2010
    3.1-put an updated key, you can achieve this in the microsoft site
    3.2-uncheck the box [] Trying to activate online and proceed with the installation.
    3.3-Termidado installation NOT run the Office, just close the window installation

4 - Run the Activator to activate the office and close everything. (I used Office 2010 Toolkit and created AutoKMS.exe and Settings.ini Windir folder)

5 - Make postscan in ThinApp \ mark the launch \ USB mode \ choice dat file \ proceed.

6 - many files and folders contained in this tutorial will not be created because the office was not executed

The rest I think you already know what to do

but is an important detail that I would say:

for portable work is needed: .Net Framework 2.0, .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 e Visual C++ 2005 Redistributale

I do not know if I can put the link here for you to test it.
    If I can come back and put.

I hope I helped

8. Team 7U15

Team 7U15 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    I have a problem.

Office 2010 I created here, works normal on my computer and activated.

On other computers Xp, Vista and 7 is also running, but not enabled.

The window of the 30 day trial.

To solve the problem until I changed the serial number of HD from another computer with the same number of the computer where it was created Office.

But also not solved, the window keeps popping up of 30 days, only on my computer it runs on.

I reach the conclusion that he recorded the number of my IP, and is only activated by it.

Is there any solution to stop this problem?

9. Team 7U15

Team 7U15 MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2012
    Solved the problem of the 30 day trial as follows:

In Package.ini enable the following parameter (just delete the ";")

;-------- General Purpose Parameters ----------
    RemoveSandboxOnExit=1
    RemoveSandboxOnStart=1

There, that never ends 30 days