[HOW TO] Windows 8 Consumer Preview Build 8250

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Niekess, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
  2. FaiKee

FaiKee Misinformation spreader

Jul 24, 2009
  3. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    #5 greyaburton, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
    got it to work the second time.i was confused as to where the gap he talked about was.when you drag the place holder,make sure to get it past the icons to the orb.then the icons(ie internet explorer etc.)will move over to the right.the space between the orb and now the icons on the right is the gap you have to right click on to get the options to click on the show text and show title.then just have to follow the other steps as described.i think this is what a lot of people have been looking for according to the replys ive been reading.have a good one.(update) one flaw I found is that you don't get any options when you right click on something in the start menu.

4. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
  5. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    #7 naseap, Mar 3, 2012
    Found some good reg tweaks over on another forum posted by a member there.
    This made my Win8 experience more enjoyable:
    Open regedit, go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Desktop and change the value for "MenuShowDelay" to 0-20 (from 400). Dialogs and such opens up faster.

This next one made it more smooth (especially hovering the mouse over corners for menus):
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Control Panel>Mouse
    There change "MouseHoverTime" to 0-20 (from 400)

I have to say that the more time I spend using Win8 the more I am liking it. There are countless new features that I have found that are very productive. It really takes many days and hours to learn the new UI of the OS. Revamping the UI does not mean it is a bad OS, there is just a big learning curve. Spend the time and you will find out it is worth it. Change is good, embrace change.

Anyone know how to get flip 3d to work.

Update and observation. That reg change also effected how other items popup i.e. when on the main page here the popup to the threads that shows the preview to the original OP comment comes up way too fast and is very annoying. I am backing down the speed a bit.

6. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    did those tweaks so will see if I notice the same increased performance.thanks(yep seems to be faster.thanks.)

7. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    I don't use it,(flip 3d)however i read that all the hot keys that worked in windows 7 is supposed to work in this one,so if there is one you used before,it should work now.hope that helps.have a good one.

8. Jaycee13

Jaycee13 MDL Senior Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Win key + Tab: opens the selection bar for all open apps. Best for those who have too many open metro apps.

9. jcgo16

jcgo16 MDL Junior Member

Sep 16, 2010
    @cego thanks, i couldnt find any of that in google, until now

10. naseap

naseap MDL Senior Member

Jul 25, 2009
    Yeah I have been using that but that is not flip 3d it is flip 2d. I just liked the look and feel of the 3d and the way it would scroll the windows. I posted a question on the above linked MS Q&A site for the Win8 CP and her is their response.

Yes it was removed, but you can still use the feature in Windows 8 Consumer Preview.
    Although it is no longer Flip 3D. It's now Flip 2D.

Browse to a Windows 7 machine, or to your Windows 7 partition if it's on the same machine
    and copy the Window Switcher shortcut to your desktop or an enabled Quick Launch Toolbar.
    Here's the path in my Windows 7 machine/partition:
    g:\Users\{User}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Window Switcher.lnk

It works with a double click on the Desktop, or single click on a Quick Launch Toolbar.

Unfortunately you cannot Pin it to the Taskbar, nor the Start Screen.
    If that's possible let me know asap!!!

11. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    if anyone has used their windows live id option to sync everything with and sign in with and want to change it to the regular way heres how. in control panel click user accounts.will see option make changes to my account in pc settings.click that.in next window select switch to a local account.i did that as i didn't want to have to type in my live password everytime i start windows 8.however i have been trying out the skydrive and when i changed it i could no longer sync with it,so i changed it back.

12. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    #17 greyaburton, Mar 3, 2012
    has anyone else been trying out skydrive and have any tips.when i tried it in order to play the songs i have there i had to install a player plugin.it works,but it keeps saying i have no songs added to playlists etc.in the player,but i don't know how to put them in.also the player has no stop button.duh.when I start playing a song then want to stop it and do something else cant find a way to stop it.also would like to be able to close it.i see no option to do that either.

13. stass

stass MDL Junior Member

Mar 6, 2008
    Whay are some apps on German?

14. greyaburton

greyaburton MDL Addicted

Mar 8, 2009
    maybe this would help: This is an issue caused by the apps not being available in the language you chose as your preferred language (Spanish).

To ensure the apps are displayed in the language you prefer add your language of choice (e.g. English) as a secondary language in your Language list, the apps will then fallback to using that language instead of German when the primary one is not available.

To add a secondary language follow these steps:
    1.Seach for add a language in the Start screen
    2.Change the scope to be Settings (instead of Apps) on the search pane
    3.Click on Add a language
    4.Click on Add a language
    5.Search for the language of your choice and select Add
    6.Use the Move up and Move down options (if needed) to ensure the languages are ordered based on your preference.

Note: The apps you refer to (People, Messaging, Calendar) are only available in English, German, Japanese, French and Chinese (Simplified) currently and you'll need to close them and open them again to see the changes.

15. MaDMaxiBo

MaDMaxiBo MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Hint : the way to close an app while quit is that : just hold the app from top of the screen and get it bottom of the screen then release.

it closes the application.

anyone knows how to use dvd rom :D