how upgrade windows 10 to other windows version

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by christian666, Jul 31, 2019.

1. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    Hi Everyone,

Here is my questions,

How do I go about upgrading windows 10 home s to windows 10 pro, or any other that lets me use other application/software out side the Microsoft store.

A while ago I remember that there ways to upgrade any windows to other windows using a code. All you needed was the manufacturer of the computer and to what windows version you wanted to upgrade to.

Is a similar method available for windows 10 home s ?

2. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    AFAIK, it would depend on what Activation you used while installed and activated the Home S you use. With a normal Activation, you'll need a Product Key for the new Version. If you used to activate via KMS you could just update and reactivate. For both, you'll need to stay to either 32bit or 64bit as the Home S. All you need to do for the Upgrade Process is to start the Setup from within the running old Home S, which will need a bit of time.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    What @Carlos Detweiller posted works for going back from manufacturer mode.

But when msft deprecated s (meaning the old cloud edition), pre-installed on specific hardware, they offered a free upgrade to Pro, via the store.

When we entered the pro key in a s install on other hardware it didn't 100% unlock, but on the specific hardware it should.

Don't know what specific s editon you meant.

4. christian666

christian666 MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
    i did remember hearing that we could upgrade to windows pro for free, but at this time that option is no longer free.(unless this is not true)

Let say hp computer with windows 10 s and I want to go to windows 10 pro.(hope this helps to understand what I'm trying to do) [will this count as a specific hardware?]

I will try the what @Carlos Detweiller mention on the post above. this will place me on a " regular windows 10 " - not lock on Microsoft store

5. whatever127

whatever127 MDL PHP Wizard

Nov 9, 2012
    #6 whatever127, Jul 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    If your computer runs Windows 10 S, version 1703 and you upgrade it to 1803 or later, then you get Windows 10 Pro in S mode which can be converted to Windows 10 Pro by switching off the S mode.

If your computer runs Windows 10 Home in S mode, version 1803 or later then you can switch off the S mode permanently and have Windows 10 Home. To upgrade to Windows 10 Pro you have to buy a proper license after switching off the S mode for Home.

If your computer runs Windows 10 Pro in S mode, version 1803 or later then you can switch off the S mode permanently and have Windows 10 Pro. The same applies to Education in S mode and Enterprise in S mode (you get normal Education for Education in S mode and normal Enterprise for Enterprise in S mode).

Computer licensed with Windows 10 Home in S mode has key for normal Windows 10 Home, since S mode is not separate SKU.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...