HP 15 laptop after BIOS update shows only black screen, no display

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by apologist, Oct 29, 2017.

1. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    This is a new HP 15 BS576TX Intel laptop with Insyde F.22 (version) BIOS-UEFI provided by HP. The laptop has hybrid graphics - Integrated Intel HD620 and AMD 520 radeon 2GB dedicated card. So, HP Support Assistant showed a BIOS update to F.24 and I clicked download and install. Installation menu showed flashing went 100% as well as verification. However, there is only a black screen now if I press the power button ON. I tried these steps and none of them worked:

1. Win Key+B + Power button

2. Win Key+B + Power button with USB recovery BIOS

3. Removed battery and AC power. Pressed the power button for 30seconds, 1 minute and 2 minute.

4. Win Key+V - and does the same thing. Pretty much nothing is shown.

During all these steps, laptop switched on and hard drive led is blinking once in a while (I imagine it is in a gap of 4-5 seconds). I remember BIOS flashing showed 100% and verification also confirmed.

2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Well if it is brand new... Contact HP and get a Return Merchandise Authorization. You'll probably get another replacement laptop

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Don't talk about the bios update
    It's new , it died, It's expected to work

...T

4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    U best call HP while u have warranty , u need a new computer that mobo is dead.

5. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    very good idea...do not mention that you attempted to flash your bios

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    Since it is 14 days over, HP is telling only repair service. :(

7. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    I have removed the battery and plans to keep the laptop this way for few hours and going to try again. If CMOS battery voltage gets lowered, is there any hope the BIOS will restore? //Sorry, I'm not that knowledgeable regarding BIOS-UEFI. Is this a sure case of Motherboard replacement? :eek:

As regarding warranty, HP chat support has assigned a case number and technician may come for repair. I'm thinking of taking the laptop to the reseller from where I bought

8. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    14 days over what? warranty?

9. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    Think Monty Python's parrot , keep focusing on "It's dead"

10. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    HP has DoA policy of only 14 days here. After that they offer only motherboard replacement in case of BIOS corruption.

11. Tiger-1

Tiger-1 MDL Guru

Oct 18, 2014
    ^^
    if so then go to reseller and make replacement of mobo simple and finish history ;)

12. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Back up any data you have on your hard drive. They'll probably come out to look at it and determine you need a new board and take it with them. There's a very high chance that you will lose anything currently on your hard drive so if you need anything, connect it to another pc and back up what data you need

13. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    #13 apologist, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
    (OP)
    Gave it to HP service. So, they are replacing mainboard/motherboard as the guy said something similar to bad flashing problem common with hp laptops with dedicated graphics card. So, it is a week's time for replacement of the board. I see that there's some chances for replacement laptop too. Learnt the lesson the hard way, still : if it ain't broken, don't mess with it. Truly! No more BIOS updating from my part.

Actually I've most of the data in my desktop pc and still some personal datas are left in the laptop. HP service said, if you want, you can take the laptop any laptop repair service and do manual backup from hard drive, if it's critical data. I think they may not do a DoA replacement now. Will update once I get back the laptop.

14. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Even if they just replace your board, it's not unusual that they will wipe your drive and put in a fresh install of HP bloated Windows

15. apologist

apologist MDL Novice

Jul 14, 2011
    The laptop came with FreeDOS only. But, I got a legal copy of Windows 10 and Ubuntu Linux installed..took time to install and configure all these. Let's see. Will update.

16. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    wow that is a horrible policy....only 14 days...hell no i want a new computer.