HP AIO Disk partition...help!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by elementinsane, Feb 23, 2013.

1. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Hi..

I purchased a Desktop AIO of HP. Now, the thing is, I need a partition. The OS is 500GB. The whole of one hard disk is given to the OS. Stupidest thing I have ever seen a OEM do.

WHen I was at the store buying it, the HP guy said I am not allowed to partition it. I WAS LIKE WHAT??? By that time, I had already signed the deal...The guy said, it will void my warranty. This is utter nonsense.

I dont know what kind of rule is this. I dont know what has my hard disk partitioning got to do with my warranty.

Now, I know what I have to do. I just have to mail HP. But here is the question I want to ask. Should I Ask them? Or should I just partition it. If I do, and they say no, but I still do, will they keep an eye on me?

Can someone plz help...I have files that need to be copied on the comp and all I see is the C Drive.

2. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    #2 BTOR, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    First take a back up of your entire hard disk [if you are scared, you may opt for a sector by sector back up].then you may play, what ever you want,if something goes wrong you can bring back to the initial state with your backup.

3. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    HI..thanks for your reply.

I have already made the physical back/reovery disks asked by them. ALso, I have two partitions as I look at My Computer. One is OS (C Drive) and the other is D drive called Recovery Image of about 20 GB. Now what is the safest way around this voiding warranty BS that HP is giving me. ANyway I can still have my warranty and a partition?

Also, I have never actually partitioned a hard disk, and definitely never a hard disk with the OS on it. Is it dangerous to partition a hard drive with the OS on it? Is it advisable?

4. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    Not dangerous until you stick to basic,and definitely not if you partition within windows. usually recovery partition are hidden by OEM but you say it has a drive letter D assigned to it . Strange. can you post a SS of disk management console. [ press winkey + x hit then k button in keyboard]

5. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    There you go...

SYS1.jpg

6. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
  7. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Ideally it shouldnt...but This One Mr HP was adamant that I will void it even if I try. He had some sort of wicked smirk as he said that. As if he had some sort of super power.

Freaking hate that guy...

8. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    #9 elementinsane, Feb 23, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    (OP)
    Of course I want to make a partition. LIke I mentioned, I have some important files to be added to the desktop. ALso, where do I shrink the volume? In disk management right? It says it can give me 214GB. I thnk it's enough for now. And will I need a reboot to see it? My C drive wont corrupt or something right?

SYS2.jpg

9. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    elementinsane you do know that your unit came with a booklet that tells you what will void warranty right???? it probably wouldn't take very long to review that and than make a choice instead of listening to some pimple faced weirdo at the store.

10. BTOR

BTOR MDL Addicted

Nov 18, 2009
    yes just shrink your c partition and create a new volume, you wont need even a reboot for the changes to realise.dont worry nothing will happen, and also you have the recovery DVD so be brave.

11. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Cool...just wanted to know if it is safe to partition the OS drive or not. I got my answer. Thanks for your reply....

Sounds like a good idea. I think I will do just that.

12. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Do I need to logged in from the admin account for this?

13. im bored

im bored MDL Member

Aug 17, 2009
    Try it. it will tell you if you need to be or not but in most cases the user needs administrative privileges.

14. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Only one way to find out try it see what happens :biggrin:

15. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    SYS3.jpg

party!!!

Thanks all u guys!!!

EDIT: Just one last question...if I have to merge it back into the main C drive is it possible?

16. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    sorry for using the wrong term.. for me, I have taken a part out of the C partition. So, what I meant was can I put it back? but after deleting the new partition and extending C, means the C drive becoming again 444GB right?

Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it..