HP Compaq 610 (ATI version) help please

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by MatthewKane, Jun 21, 2013.

1. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    Hi all,

I have a old HP Compaq 610 that was passed on to me. Little did I know about it being the ATI version I installed a 4965n Intel wireless card and it gave me the famous 104 - Not supported error on boot. So I searched for solutions and it lead to me to TTAV134's HP Request Whitelist thread.

I ended up downloading the Intel version and flashed my BIOS. All went well and my wireless card did work but as I then found out that I had the version with the ATi graphics card I could not install ATi drivers as it would fail me and the CPU speed kept throttling from 6-10 multiplier (instead of 7-11) in CPU-Z.

I tried flashing the normal BIOS for my 68PVD motherboard but the HP flash bios tool keeps telling incorrect compatiblity blah blah because I flashed the Intel version 68PVU whitelist bios.

I've searched numerous ways of restoring my BIOS by brute flashing (WIN + B/4 arrows) all this did not work, not even comes up and my USB is formatted with the right files following the HP_TOOLS instructions.

So it's come down this, unfortunately the download for my laptop is down and I've posted in that thread as well as sent TTAV134 a PM to see if he can upload a mirror but judging from his profile he is not online much anymore.

See there are two versions:

HP Compaq 510/610 (intel) Notebook PC (version F.0B 20-nov-2009)
    HP Compaq 511/610 (ATI) Notebook PC (version F.0C 24-nov-2009) < DEAD LINK

So does anyone have the file still that can upload or maybe help me bypass this installer so it doesn't give me incompatible error message.

Sorry I had to remove LINKS because I don't have more than 20 posts due to possible spammers.

The laptop still works fine, but I want to restore the correct BIOS so I can use the ATI graphics and have my CPU speed restored to normal.

If anyone here can help me I'am forever in your debt.

Thanks

2. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    I'am really surprised that no one has a mirror of the bios or can help me with this one or correct direction to point me to look for. :(

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    helps if u post the desired sp####.exe of bios

4. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    Hi latin,

Says I can't post direct links as I don't have more than 20 posts.

Here is a copy and paste link to my BIOS spXXXXX.exe download location.

HP Notebook System BIOS (ATI Video Controller - 68PVD)

h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=0&prodSeriesId=3958407&prodNameId=3958408&swEnvOID=1093&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=ob-78863-1

Also to add I've somehow bricked the laptop now. I tried TTAV134's flashed HPQFlash utility, repacked a new ROM.Cab file using the original correct BIOS files for my laptop without ROM.sig. It flashed, but after restart a black screen.

I don't know how to do the recovery but I think my laptop uses Insyde H2O bios. If I press 4 arrows or Win + B key on powerup, the cap-lock light flashes slowly but I've tried everything with the USB HP_Tools method but it doesn't work. If anyone helps me get this working I'll donate/send them a beer. :worthy:

Thanks

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  6. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    I don't have a USB diskette floppy drive to connect up to my laptop, but I did format a spare USB flash drive I had lying around, formatted it to floppy diskette format 1.44MB using a WIN98SE image with no luck.

I've also read on the HP website that if the cap locks light is continously blinking this mean's the BIOS recovery has stalled and the right BIOS is not on the drive.

I'am really lost. What is confusing is that, I downloaded the UEFI Bios recovery tool for my model via SoftPaq Download Manager. The tool successfully formatted my USB to HP_TOOLS with the correct folders etc. A person on youtube with the laptop model one up from mine (he had 620) and it looks identical to mine, his successful recovery meant that he put the efibios.sig file onto the USB drive. I've extracted my BIOS files and there is no such file, only ROM.bin, ROM.sig, Ver.sig and Ver.txt.

Why is HP so damn useless with no absolute documentation on such procedures???

Hope somebody else can chime in.

7. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    OK so my USB floppy drive finally came. Copied the rom.bin file onto a non-bootable floppy disk. 4 arrows + power button. Floppy disk seems to be read after 2 minutes or so, the laptop shuts itself down. Powers up again, no display nothing.

Gosh I hate pos HP laptops.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    usualy the rompaqs have a .cab which has the .sig inside

9. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    Where does one obtain the Rompaq cab? The supplied BIOS cab extracts a rom.bin, rom.sig, ver.txt and ver.sig file(s). These are extracted from the HP autoinstaller/extractor file when you download the BIOS firmwares off the internet. But I will try it again.

10. MatthewKane

MatthewKane MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2013
    Nope no luck.

Renamed all the files to 68PVD with it's own file extension and tried multiple combinations of the files on the floppy disk. Same thing, floppy disk gets read for 5 seconds then light just blinks until laptop shut's itself down then powers on itself again with no display, CPU fan's going 100% rpm. Any bios protection jumpers on this laptop?

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    try reset cmos by battery short

use 7-zip to extract files to find the .cab or at their download page other rompaqs might have it