HP Compaq 6510b bios problems, help needed!

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by paulrossi, Oct 20, 2013.

1. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    #1 paulrossi, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013
    Hi, and thanks God that i found this forum!

I'm in trouble with a Compaq 6510b and I don't know what to do :(

in short:
    i got this machine, old but somehow working, but showing a warning/error after the post that the bios update was unsuccessful and the procedure should have been redone.
    nevertheless the machine was working fine. bios version was F.15

So just to remove the disclaimer i tried to download the updated version from HP website, F.16, together with a DOS based utility for updating, and fix it.
    However, this procedure could not complete (IIRC because the checksum of the current bios was not correct), and the bios was not updated.

Then, stupidly, i wanted to try with the latest version, F.20, and the windows based flasher.
    After this procedure, the warning was still there, but the machine was not completing the boot anymore, but rather bootlooping.

At this point i was unsure what to do, but in the end i decided to try to replace the bios chip, that i thought f**ked up (only today i learnt that there is a procedure to salvage such a situation with a usb diskette drive)

So i ordered a replacement on ebay, from a seller who claimed to put the "latest version" on the chip.
    i also got myself a hot air workstation to do the replacement, and did it.
    It was my first time so i probably haven't done a great job.

Nevertheless the machine is now booting fine, and i could also enter the bios correctly.
    The only problem now is that the audio is gone. Instead of it i get some weird few clicking noises when some audio should happen.
    I also tried to boot a live linux (ubuntu), with the same problem, and the addition that i get a lot of warnings/errors with dmesg, like:
    WARNING: CPU: 0 PID: 1 at drivers/gpu/drm/i915/intel_display.c:....
    pipe state doesn't match!

many of these errors have snd modules linked in, so i guess it could have something to do with missing audio
    (in addition, it takes forever to boot ubuntu, due to these errors)

Now i am very unsure what the problem could be.
    At first i thought i incorrectly replugged the internal speaker connector, but that was not the case.
    so my guesses are

a) i did a bad job, i fried some component with the hot air (even though i kept it on for about half minute / a minute, and the bios works fine)
    b) i messed up the audio board connector with the hot air, that is very close, even though all the pins of this connector look fine
    c) i shorted some tracks with the temperature (possible?)
    d) the bios in the chip is not correct/is for some other machine

My questions would be:
    has anybody had a similar problem?
    and what would you suggest to try at this point? flash a newer/modded bios?

Thanks in advance and please forgive me for the inexperience :(
    Paul

2. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    I just tried to update the bios with the modded F.16 version that i found here in the forum, using HPQFlash.exe.
    The flashing worked fine. However the problem persists.. instead of audio i get some weird clicks. I wonder if there's some way to make it speak from bios, to rule out possible driver problems?

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    fried component

4. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    I see :( well, i guess thanks for the diagnosis, at least now i can sleep better...
    It's a pity that it is so.. maybe now i can just buy a replacement system board, or something like that, and change it

However, just for the next time, how could i fry some component, but not the bios itself that was the component most time under the hot air?

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    smaller more sensitive component might have been on way out.. usually its a surface mount capacitor

6. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    Thanks for the diagnosis. May i also ask, as a last question, what procedure would be adviceable to follow when doing such interventions? maybe shielding the rest of the components from the heat? but how?

Also, from just guessing, would you think that it's a component on the audio/pcmcia board (which would be fixed by replacing it), or on the main board in the nearby of the bios chip?

7. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    aluminum foil

8. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    So today i got a system board replacement, and replaced it. Same problem.
    I take that the last possibility is a faulty audio board?

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    hmm so both do same.. hardware fault of speaker or wire ?
    makes no sense both boards do same thing.

external speaker plugged in has a bad wire ??

i rather buy something newer like Lenovo T410 or T420 cheap.

10. paulrossi

paulrossi MDL Novice

Oct 20, 2013
    #10 paulrossi, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Yes they do the same, but i used the same audio board. you can see in here:
    Code:
    www   computerrecyclingllc   com   /eBay_Inventory/images/20130429/5759-8905-20130429-2294.JPG
    the audio board is the one containing the PCMCia slot, next to the speakers, on the bottom left of the picture.

I bought a system board replacement, and replugged the old audio board. I would exclude bad wires or connector, because i get the same problem with headphones connected to the jack. what do you think?