HP/Compaq 6820s - loooong BIOS post with SSD

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by johnye_pt, Sep 12, 2014.

1. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    #1 johnye_pt, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2015
    [HELP] HP/Compaq 6820s - loooong BIOS post with SSD

I decided to add a Samsung 840 EVO 120GB SSD to my HP/Compaq 6820s.

1st problem: SDD wasn't detected with the DVD Caddy I bought.
    Solution: I placed it in the HDD's bay, and the HDD is now in the DVD Caddy. DVD Caddy is detected has 1st HDD, so I've set BIOS to boot from HDD (which is the SSD) instead of DVD (which is the HDD in the caddy).

2nd problem: HDD was working at MDMA2 (about 13MB/s) because BIOS is limited to this speed for DVD drives.
    Solution: I replaced the MBR for a patched one (found it at techinferno) that switches it to UDMA5 at boot. A simpler solution was running a UDMA_fix batch at windows startup, but sometimes windows would freeze randomly during startup if the HDD was in use when being "patched". I also noted that using standby makes the computer freeze for a few minutes when resuming, so I set it to hibernate when I close the lid.

3rd Problem: BIOS takes 20 seconds to POST. The purpose of adding an SSD was to boot faster. Well, it now takes about 10 seconds to get to the desktop with Windows 8.1 Update x64 Pro without Hybrid shutdown and all usual software installed... plus 20 seconds to POST. I tried all possible combinations with available settings inside BIOS (which are not that many), tried disabling all extra hardware and removed the DVD Caddy with the extra HDD, but BIOS always takes 20 seconds to POST. I also had the chance to try it with a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" (SH103S3/120G) and a Samsumg Thin Caseless 256GB FDE MLC uSATA 1.8" (MMDPE56GTDXP-MVBD7) with a 1.8" to 2.5" case adapter but the 20 seconds delay is still there. This delay doesn't happen with the original 320GB sATA HDD nor the 1TB HDD that now replaced the old HDD, with one of these two in the HDD bay it takes about 2~3 seconds to POST.

Could the BIOS be getting stuck for 20 seconds because of how the SSDs comunicate with it? Is it possible to check if there are disabled menus inside the BIOS that I could mess with to try and make it boot faster?

Compaq page has 3 F.0D BIOS (the 4th is for Intel Video Controller, I have ATI), I'm not sure which one is the correct:
    - (sp41876.exe) HPQFlash for HP Notebook System BIOS (68MDU) - Microsoft Windows/Vista-Based, F.0D N 4 Nov 2008
    - (sp41874.exe) ROM Image for HP Notebook System BIOS (ATI Video Controller) Remote ROM Flash - SSM Compliant (International, American) system software Manager Icon, F.0D N 4 Nov 2008
    - (sp41877.exe) ROMPaq for HP Notebook System BIOS (68MDU) - FreeDOS Bootable Media (International, American), F.0D 4 Nov 2008

Any help is most welcome.

EDIT1: Forgot to mention that I have a password on BIOS boot to avoid my kids going to Windows by "accident". That way is either the password or no boot at all. The Windows account still has a password but its set to login automatically and I only use it when I move away from the laptop and lock it with WIN+L. Before the SSD it was "turn it on, type password, wait for desktop" but now is "turn it on, wait 20 seconds, type password, wait for desktop".

EDIT2: Have now tried with 2 more SSDs and a 1TB HDD, post is updated with relevant info.

2. johnye_pt

johnye_pt MDL Addicted

Aug 26, 2010
    Bump! Have now added some more info to the 1st post, I hope someone can take a keep under the hood ;)