HP/Compaq Mini 110 has a SLIC 2.1, but how to make it active?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by slimd, Jun 29, 2010.

1. slimd

slimd MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2010
    I did some research into this tonight, and found, through the AMI Mod Tool, that the current version of the BIOS (F.19) for my Compaq Mini 110c does contain a SLIC 2.1 table (HPQOEM-MPC). Only thing is, SLIC Dump Toolkit can't see this SLIC, and nor can Windows 7.

I've read that this is because an SLP marker in the DMI table is not enabled, and that a tool called HPBI103.exe can be used to switch this marker. But it can't even read the marker on my system (READ Failed). Another option I found on this forum was DMICFG.exe (the most recent copy I found was from 2002). However, this tool has a lot of information in it and I couldn't find an SLP flag anywhere.

So my question is: what tool do I use to switch this flag on a HP or Compaq Mini 110, and where do I find it, and what do I do with it to enable the SLP/SLIC?

(Oh, SLIC Dump Toolkit sees the SLP 1.0 table just fine, though, but that doesn't help me much).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. wuhoatu

wuhoatu MDL Member

Apr 24, 2009
    #2 wuhoatu, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. slimd

slimd MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2010
    #4 slimd, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    (OP)
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys. HPBI103, used according to TTAV134's howto, gives a READ Failed Error Code=0x86 (in fact it gives this error on all read operations, not just SLP - my guess is that this is because HPBI103 is used with Insyde BIOS models, while the 110c has an AMI BIOS.). HPBI108.EXE reports "This platform is NOT supported!!". I've gone through all the tools in the HP DMI Tools pack, all of them give errors or else say the platform is not supported. There must be another tool for these. I know the machine is manufactured by Inventec, so HPBI108.EXE should be the right tool for the job, but it doesn't seem to work. Also, the Mini 110 is not listed in the PDF that accompanies the tools, so I'm guessing it's newer (the Mini 1000 is listed, but that's an older model which uses an Insyde BIOS, right?).

So in summary, still looking for a solution for this one (it could be possible to mod the BIOS and insert another SLIC, but it would be so much neater to just activate the one provided by HP). Any suggestions are welcome, and I'm sure more people are looking for a solution for this one.

EDIT: Modding the BIOS with AMI Mod Tool did nothing, as it only replaced the existing SLIC so it is still hidden. So I still need a tool to unhide the SLIC by way of setting the OS SKU (SLP) flag, but such a tool isn't in the existing HP DMI Tools package. Any hints?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. TTAV134

TTAV134 MDL Expert

Mar 1, 2009
    hello,

Try HPBQ189.exe and press "G"

Attached Files:

5. slimd

slimd MDL Novice

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks, but that's probably not a good idea. HPBQxxx.EXE are made for Quanta models, and the Mini 110 is made by Inventec, however neither of the currently leaked HPBIxxx.EXE tools will recognize the platform. HPBQxxx.EXE tools just give me junk when trying to read the current information, and says that the system did ship with a Vista OS, giving a "1" for the SLP value, but that's just because it reads (and would write) the wrong address.

DMICFG gives me the following information:
    Base board manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
    Enclosure manufacturer: Inventec

Most likely, when I run V10B.BAT, the IDEN.EXE sees "Hewlett-Packard" and decides there is no tool for that configuration in the pack. There has to be newer tools somewhere..

The search continues...

6. nugzo

nugzo MDL Novice

Oct 14, 2010
    What is the fix for this issue? I saw a HPmini utility at TTAV134 thread concerning HP but the link is dead.

7. Statts

Statts MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Im having the same problem with my HP Mini 110-3526TU. Each util I try says that my platform is not supported. This was purchased without Windows.

Bios is F.24 from HP website.

Here is SLIC Tool results if that helps:

ht tp://i.imgur.com/7Vn4J.jpg (sorry I can't post links yet)

Note screencap says F.12 BIOS but have since updated and same results returned.

Any help greatly appreciated.

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  9. snoop1979

snoop1979 MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2011
    HPBI124.exe /s /O 2
    is the right answer, also worked on Compaq Mini CQ10

10. DiYei

DiYei MDL Novice

Oct 13, 2009
    snoop1979 thank you man, I tried every version of hpbi that I could find, all of them did not show the Advance menu, "/s /O 2" was the answer ;)

11. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    SHIFT F1 ADV usualy brings advanced menu out

12. maxmorales

maxmorales MDL Novice

Oct 6, 2008
    Thank you all for your comments and contributions of their knowledge.

I say that because it could enable one to W7 Compaq CQ10-120LA

13. deearhunter

deearhunter MDL Novice

Aug 20, 2015
    #16 deearhunter, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
    Thanks!!
    Works for a HP Compaq Mini 110c-1100SO as well (with a 240GB ssd) W7 less than 30 sec boot!
    3 frustrating days of bios modding reinstalling etc. and it was so simple....