HP DM1 1010el Insyde Bios hacking

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Liknus, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi all!
    This is my first BIOS hacking ever, so I'm a newbie in this! I'm trying to understand and learn how to hack BIOSes.. Do not pretend to become as skilled as most of you are.. I'd like to acquire just some knowledge! :)

As the title says I have an old HP DM1 1010el! From the BIOS itself i see that it has an:
    Know.. I've read the first post of How to use New Phoenix Bios Mod Tool ... and it says that I need to download the BIOS from the motherboard manufacturer.. The problem is that I don't know who produced it! So I've downloaded it from HP's website: sp51139.exe
    Unpacked and found that in it there are two .fd files: 3663F150 and 3663F151.. I tried them both with InsyneFlash Utility once at a time and just the 3663F15.fd works. The other one gave me an error when launching InsyneFlash:
    I presume then that I need to modify just one of them: 3663F150.fd
    By following the guide of the user donovan6000 (the guide is hosted on his own website) I started the process of hacking my BIOS.
    Since my InsyneFlash is pretty old it doesn't check if the BIOS it is going to flash has been modified or not.
    I begin by trying to change the default splash screen that sees the HP logo with the one of GNU logo. But even though I both resize the GNU Logo to the exactly same number of pixels of the default image, and compress it to make it weight less then the default one, after trying to flash it - again with Insydeflash - I get another error:
    Any idea of why this is happening? I googled the error, but the only help I found was the it seems that I'm trying to flash a BIOS from another vendor/laptop model.

Thanks in advance for the reply,
    -please let me notice if my english has some problems-
    Best Regards,

L.
    ;)

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  3. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    #3 Liknus, Feb 22, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Thanks for the kind reply! I'm gonna do it again - for the third time ;)- but this one I'll do it on the laptop itself instead than on the main PC as I did for the previous two attempts!;)

I'll also edit this post with all the steps I'll do in order to discover an error in the procedure itself! ;)

EDIT
    Nothing!
    I've tried to do the same process as explained by donovan6000 on his website..
    I tried to mod it by selecting (in Phoenix Mod v_2.5) both the SLIC and the SLP file as well as only the SLIC file! But still the same error!

I've even tried to "mod" it without really change the splash screen image -> Basically, once the:
    I've just pressed OK and then ok another time.
    Launch InsydeFlash utility.. and... bump.. ERROR.. the same one!
    (I select HP's SLIC 2.1 and HP's SLP files).

So, I think that the problem can only be in the process itself, or better, in the way I undertake it! Or in the utilities I use that are somehow too updated for me and my laptop (less likely)..

Hence.. The only thing I can do is to describe step-by-step the process:
    I'm doing all this in the HP DM1 1010el laptop with a bare new installation of W7!!!

4. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    What an honour!=) I've been looking to your own website to mod my BIOS! I would even say that I started it out thanks to your website! ;)
    Thanks! ;)
    End-OffTopic

I'll try the tool from CodeRush for sure!;) Thanks for the advice!=)

L.
    ;)

5. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    Hi all!
    ;)
    I tried CodeRush's tool but it's completely different from Phoenix! I have to read his two pages on how to use it.. It will take more time than what I was expecting! :)

Byez
    L.
    ;)

6. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    #7 Liknus, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
    (OP)
    I started to be disappointed of myself for my inability to do such things! =( Lol.. that's pretty funny.. BTW! I started reading the guide of donovan6000 about unlocking Setup Utility's tabs.. But when I have to search for the GUID of the Setup Utility I'm not able to find it out!
    I mean: I'm in the EFI structure tab of Phoenix tool. Inside the "tree list" of DXE Core. Looking at this image
    27.png
    [All credits go to donovan6000 - in the case I'm not allowed to post that image I'll delete it as soon as I'll be told to]
    you can see the name of the module after the GUID.. My instead look like this:
    EFI Structure-GUID.png
    In which you can note easily that.. there are no the names after the GUID's "codes".. So.. in order to identify the right GUID for the setup utility.. What should I do?

Again.. I apologize for this extremely noob questions..!
    Thanks to who'll be so kind to reply and thanks again to donovan6000 for his excellent work. If I can't follow smoothly it.. It's just my fault.. absolutely not his!
    Also, fell free to correct my english!=)

Cheers from Italy,
    L.
    ;)
    P.s.: Sorry for the double post..

7. CodeRush

CodeRush MDL Member

Jun 20, 2011
    Here is your SetupUtility module:
    SU.png

8. Liknus

Liknus MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2014
    #9 Liknus, Feb 26, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
    (OP)
    :eek:
    Thanks very much! May I ask you how you've done/where I've mistaken?

L.
    ;)

EDIT
    I've seen only now that you've found the SetupUtility module of the 3663F151.fd BIOS. Unfortunately my laptop uses 3663F150.fd.
    May I still ask you where I've mistaken? I'd like to "learn" how to hack BIOSes.. Even though my knowledge at the time is extremely low!=)

9. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    one easy way is at the dump folder from phoenixtool you can search for text in with xsearch for SetupUtility