hp dv4-1147cl windows 7 MEMORY

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by dv4user, Dec 5, 2009.

1. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    I have an hp dv4-1147cl with windows 7 64-bit. I just upgraded from vista and when I did that, HP made me upgrade hte BIOS and I wasn't thinking when I did it. Anyway, I have flashed like every possible BIOS to get it to recognize slot #2...both modules work, but the BIOS won't recognize slot #2. Also, in the BIOS it says my system board ID is 30F8, but when upgrading the BIOS with Insyde, it says my current version is 30F7 and upgrades it to the newest version of 30F7. No matter what BIOS version I download for my specific laptop from hp.com , there is nothing there for 30F8, it is all for 30F7. everything is working fine except that the slot #2 memory RAM slot isn't working. If the BIOS had Memory Remapping option or somethign like that, I wouldn't be asking about this...but is there any way to mod this BIOS? Why can't I find anything for 30F8? HELP! PLEASE!

2. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Can anyone please help?

3. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    wow, no one?

4. Temp999

Temp999 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2008
    BIOS version 30F7 is correct for system board 30F8.

Try this.

1. Turn the laptop off, disconnect the AC adapter AND the main battery. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds then release it. Reconnect just the AC adapter and see if you have your RAM back if not then goto 2.
    2. Turn the laptop off, disconnect the AC adapter, the main battery should already be disconnected. Remove the small panel underneath which houses the small RTC battery and disconnect it for 10 seconds. Reconnect the TC battery and AC adapter and try again.

If that didn't work then possibly the RAM is making a bad connection with the connector. Remove the module and try clean the contact area. When replacing the module, wiggle it up and down a little in the connector before pushing it home.

5. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Even if this doesn't work, I love you for acknowledging and helping. you are the best ever.

6. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    #6 dv4user, Dec 6, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2009
    (OP)
    This was awfully stupid but at this point I dont care...I tried reseating the RAM while browsing the internet. Not slot #1 that works, I wont touch that, but slot #2, and the system does nothing, I wiggle, I do everything to try to get the computer to glitch because more RAM has been introduced. Is there anything else I can do??????? Just to clarify, this all happened when I was required by HP to update from F22 BIOS to F44 BIOS while upgrading to Windows 7. I honestly think that when when I flashed from the F22 to the F44, something went bad and I don't know how to undo it. I have turned everything off, pulled everything out and held the power button for 1 minute to drain anythign left, and I also did the RTC battery thing leaving it unplugged overnight and no success. It's not even that slot #2 is causing errors or problems, its as though it doesn't even exist. I don't understand this, this is very very weird. I would think that if something were wrong with it, I'd get an error for trying to seat RAM into a faulty slot, but nothing, even while running the OS. Surely there must be a genius here that has some sort of solution. I challenge someone to figure this out. haha, I hope that will work.

7. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
  8. Temp999

Temp999 MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2008
    Seems like your laptop BIOS is not able to read the SPD data which means the BIOS doesn't know what's in that slot so is not enabling it. I take it you have already tried each module in turn in slot 1 with nothing in slot 2 and they both worked. Have you ever had both modules working or is this a memory upgrade?

I don't know about those 4GB modules, they are still very expensive and with DDR3 becoming more popular by the day may never come down to a reasonable price. You are able to use up to 8GB in that laptop if you can get both slots working.

The MCHBAR I/O is just a memory mapped I/O range from 0xFED10000 and the 4096 is the length in bytes. You should only need to check at the SPD tab of CPU-Z.

I don't know of any BIOS options that would help you and I wouldn't think the BIOS would be a problem but I don't know for sure.

If the laptop can not read the SPD data in slot 2 the BIOS is going to ignore that module.

9. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Is there any sort of mod with memory remapping or something that I can try? ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm almost considering a 4GB module

10. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    Sisoft Sandra says the other slot is "empty" and suggests using this slot to upgrade RAM....................................WHAT IS GOING ON??????

11. dv4user

dv4user MDL Novice

Dec 5, 2009
    I was thinking even though my video card has 512 dedicated RAM, it shares some of the RAM. I don't think its using that RAM module, but I think the video card might have something to do with it. Is there some sort of onboard video card on my computer that I can use instead of the NVIDIA video card?

12. vdl68

vdl68 MDL Junior Member

Sep 11, 2009
    Usually when there is a update for your BIOS, it only affect the fan control, not much of a drastic change from the old version of bios and the new version. Once you update your bios, I don't think it will let you "downgrade"

You mention that your bios do not see the other memory stick, did you upgrade your memory and is it the same spec for both of the memory stick.