HP DV6-1210SA Bios recovery?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by nea, Feb 29, 2012.

1. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Hi all.

Really hoping someone here is able to help me here! I have a customer's laptop in with a BIOS corruption failure (I didn't break it :biggrin:).

I've tried various methods of trying to force flash the latest version of the BIOS following instructions gathered from many hours of Googling, but all to no avail. Part of this may be that it's because I've not found the specific instructions for this particular model.

I've tried various key-combos at power on (all 4 arrow keys, Win+B, Fn+Esc), but none of them seem to access the USB thumb drive I'm using (Intensio Rainbow 8GB).

If someone here is able to help, I would be eternally greatful.

Many thanks.

2. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    I've tried that and no beans I'm afraid.

3. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    I can't even get the laptop to read the USB on booting. Tried a 2GB stick, formatted as both FAT16 and FAT32, with and without MiniDos. I've tried numerous file names (some using Andy's tool, original names and all variants in between). I've tried with the files on the root of the USB, I've tried with them in Hewlett-Packard\BIOS\Current. I've tried every key combination suggested. Next step is a pint of virgins blood, but even that I fear will not help.

Anyone got a suggestion that I may have missed?

Thanks.

4. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    just a thoght, try with battery removed and mains power leads, i think i remember someone i read something to do with the battery? note 100% :eek:

5. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Tried with and without battery, with and without hard drive and 2 different USB sticks, both formatted multiple ways, with and without the HP_TOOLS installed on them. No matter what I do, I can't get the laptop to read the USB sticks. Touchpad light never goes amber.

Edited for spelling.

6. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    What about trying to boot from a bootable cd>?

7. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    I have not tried that yet. Busy installing a 32bit virtual machine so I can have a crack with Crisis Disk. Chances of succeeding?

8. NICK@NUMBER11

NICK@NUMBER11 MDL Expert

Mar 23, 2010
    worth a go, fingers crossed then! :crystal:

9. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    No joy with bootable USB or CD either. Surely there has to be a way to get it to work?

10. nea

nea MDL Novice

Feb 28, 2012
    Ok, I've done a little more experimenting and still nothing. So I've disassembled the laptop to get part number of the motherboard to see if anyone knows what I should be naming the bios files on the USB.

Board part number is DAUT1AMB6D0, Revision D

Anyone able to shed any more light on this for me? I'm at my wit's end with this laptop but don't want to have to tell my customer he needs a new laptop. Not yet anyway.