HP dv6700 build, BIOS concerns

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by JSpec520, Aug 23, 2013.

1. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    Hello everyone!

I am working on a pretty crazy build on my HP dv6700 laptop and need some clarification on some things related to the BIOS in order to ensure my build ends up working smoothly. I am much better with the hardware side of things...parts is parts. I will be upgrading the CPU, upgrading the GPU, and changing the hard drive to a SSD. (I am building on a new mobo with new chipsets, I say this because I worry that most people will just tell me the GPU is soldered on there and can't be upgraded)

I have run across numerous posts about HP's dreaded whitelist of approved hardware, but I almost always only see it in relation to upgrading a wireless card. I have found a couple places that vaguely reference there being a whitelist for processors and such as well.

My questions then are;

1) Is there a whitelist for processors and GPUs and hard drives?

and

2) If so, what modifications need to be done to the BIOS for it to allow these new hardware components to be installed as well as the settings being unlocked and adjustable?

Please let me know if you need any further information from me to answer these questions.

Thanks!

2. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    I am really looking forward to getting started on this build soon, I just need this one piece of the puzzle sorted out. Please help me out :biggrin:

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    cute post... have u noticed nobody replied to the ridiculous request ?

youre building on a new mobo with new chipsets ?? wtf does that mean ?? u replaced original mobo with new with GPu also soldered on?? please make sense.

u thinking of a laptop as a desktop.. wake up

4. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013

While I appreciate your response, the snarkiness of it is neither productive nor appreciated. I understand your concerns though...there are a lot of people who dream of making their laptops a desktop killer. I am not one of those people...I have a custom desktop for that. I genuinely enjoy the ergonomics of this laptop and am simply building it to do things a bit faster than it does currently which I know has been done on other laptops, I am just having a hard time finding anyone who has modded the bios for this one.

I dont understand what is confusing about my build...I am going to purchase a motherboard to assemble the new CPU and GPU on and then simply swap it out. And my question was just about these stupid whitelists that the manufacturers put in their bios to prevent certain upgrades.

To summarize, I am merely looking for someone who is capable of removing the whitelist or whitelist check, however it is done. If you are this person, fantastic, lets talk business. If not, it would be much appreciated to keep any personal opinions on the matter private.

5. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    not even gona bother to clarify what youre trying to do.. pointless to try to upgrade a piece of s**t if it cant be upgraded.
    ill keep looking here for fun times ahead if anyone bites the trolling hook.

and trust me if i wanted to be snarky with my remarks.. id be banned for abuse

6. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    Please help me to understand why you say my laptop cannot be upgraded. If I am missing something that keeps me from upgrading it besides a whitelist, please let me know. That is why I started this post. Merely asking a question about the whitelist on these machines, asking for help. I promise, no trolling, no BSing. I am being genuine.

Let me start with the parts...why do you say my laptop cannot be upgraded? I have already taken it apart and examined the motherboard and done the proper research on parts that are compatible with it. If there are other things besides a whitelist keeping that from happening, I would greatly appreciate to know what those things are.

7. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    Please let me know what information you need about this that will help you. I am more than willing to share exact details, I would just like to know what details are pertinant.

Thanks

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    mobo hp part number.
    video chip on it. or is it discrete ( separate video with slot)
    wireless card u want to use. (i dont do whitelists but i found some).. but new mobo wont be same bios as its likely not a dv6210us or whatever the real model is not 6700 look under barcode sticker for original model (mobo changed ?)
    thats why u need hp part number to find proper bios with whitelist removed (for wifi.. video is unlikely)

9. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013

The mobo I would be using is HP 460902-001, which the most current bios for it should be F.58A
    The video card is a BGA chip, so not a removeable slot. I'd be installing a G84-750-A2 on it. There is a local laptop repair shop that can do soldering for me.

The one thing on it I'm not touching is actually the wireless card lol. I appreciate you finding some bios with the wireless whitelist removed, I had found a couple as well.

I think my project is more of a custom one, and would require a mod request from a good modder because I'm also switching out the processor and going to change over to a SSD. Do you know who I could ask on here that may be interesting in modding a bios for these things? I would of course compensate them for their time...I would be an ass if I expected someone to take that kind of time without any sort of payment.

(I know, by traditional standards I am a complete crazy weirdo to do these things, and I appreciate you answering my questions :spoton:)

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    im pretty sure video chip change wont work.
    F.58a ? SP####.exe

11. JSpec520

JSpec520 MDL Novice

Aug 23, 2013
    Yeah, sp39862.exe to be exact

Meh, I'm not as worried about the video card as much as finding a mod to install the new CPU and SSD...I mainly just want it to do work faster, load things up faster, stuff like that. I know a 5 year old machine is going to be very limited in the graphics department.

Do you know anyone on here I could ask about making a custom mod to that bios? (you can PM me about it if you would prefer)