HP DV7 - Product information not valid

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by scorcher9, Jan 14, 2014.

1. scorcher9

scorcher9 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2014
    On startup, I'm getting an error

----------
    Product Information not valid

The following product information programmed into the system board is missing or invalid.

System Board (00A) - Product Family

ENTER - Continue Startup
    ----------

I searched around and found that it probably indicates that a technician replaced the system board or component but failed to input the new serial number in the system.

Tried following this guide h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-PCs-Pavilions-Presario/System-Board-OOA-Product-Information-Not-Valid/m-p/2370855/highlight/true#M117906 but no avail.

I tried out different versions of the EEPROM Utility; HPBQ116 HPBQ138 HPBQ142 HPBQ189 HPBQ193
    Some of them wouldn't run saying that it doesn't support the platform but I could run it by modifying the platform check through a hex editor.

At step 7 of the guide it says to enter PCID number but I am out of luck at that point too because I see a field 'EEPROM DMI String' instead of PCID number and I couldn't find a way to put in the PCID because the PCID number I have of my laptop is 25 characters and the DMI String only accepted 17 so I didn't try anything stupid.

After changing the other fields they don't even stick. As soon as I restart the laptop they reverts back to the funky characters. I am not posting any screenshot of that because I am not sure if that is legal or what.

HPBI103.exe won't even read the information and gives an error 'Write failed errorcode=0x86'

So everything leads me to a dead end. Please if anyone could help me out.

Model: HP Envy DV7 7298ca
    BIOS: InsydeH2O F.29

Attached Files:

2. Ludonja

Ludonja MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2014
    You need small HP program called "NbDmiFit". With it you can change all. :sailor:

3. scorcher9

scorcher9 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2014
    Thanks man, that totally worked. :worthy:

Earlier I was using the tools inside NbDmiFit individually but apparently going through the NbDmiFit.bat did the trick for me. :biggrin:

4. jmoore

jmoore MDL Novice

Jun 13, 2014
    I have tried the utility many times and my only remaining item to get entered is the "Product Family"

which NbDmiFit version did you use?

&

which value gets rid of the System Board (00A) - Product Family error

I was able to clear all OOA errors except that one

5. scorcher9

scorcher9 MDL Novice

Jan 14, 2014
    I think it was v1.19, if I remember correctly.

Not sure about which value in particular but I just filled in as much information as I could and was able to get rid of those errors.