HP firmware fix for 3rd party cartridge?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by trodas, Feb 23, 2013.

1. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    I very much wonder, since the firmware is possible to update/modify over the USB connection, if someone is hacking the HP firmwares, so the average Joe could use 3rd party cartridges.
    There are even reports that the working cheaper cartridges are not working any longer, after a firmware update, so... that almost beg the qestion if anyone did it or doing it.

Me got pissed off over the HP PSC 1315 not working with a Active Jet AH-657N and AH-656N cartridges :(

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    have you tried to downgrade your firmware to version on which chineese cartridges were working? :D

3. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    Nope. I did not even know, where to start... :eek: Not to mention the "small" drivers are 36MB big and create a havoc in my system... :rolleyes:
    Is there any source of firmwares for HP PSC 1315?

4. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    OMG... the yellow is all out there... was that even repairable...?

Well, I *JUST* want it to scan, as it did already, untill reboot, tough... Really no-one is making and firmware fixes or such things for these HP PSC craps?

BTW, IMHO HP made a reasonable laser printers, at least my experience with HP 1012 was good.
    My experience with HP PSC 1315 is, on the other hand, utterly horrible. I won't recommend anyone buying hardware, where the drivers having 38MB in the most light version and 350-420MB in "normal" version, because such drivers can ofter unpdate your firmware w/o you even knowing and then block the cartridges you use... :mad:

5. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    that was just random photo from the net, but I had similar problems with canon ink printer and chinese cartridges :)
    well, that should be violation of your rights.. :biggrin:
    I now use samsung.. its not very old.. but has driver only for xp and that causes problems... so every manufacturer makes silly moves from time to time..

6. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    True, everone made a mistake or two. But this is just over the top from my point of view. To tie up scanning with cartriges, this is just outright theft! If anyone come up with HW, the require miltimegabit sized drivers, one should prefer another hardware, because in such huge drivers, there is the possibility that w/o your consent, the firmware will be "upgraded" to limit usability of your HW.
    Now that is something I find very dangerous.

It just make my head spin to see, that HP doing this, is still in bussiness. It should be boycotted for that!

7. trodas

trodas MDL Member

Jan 22, 2008
    One my good friend give me HP PSC 1510 for a try. W/o the powersource. Luckily, the powersource is identical from HP PSC 1315 and I make it work. And - despite my high doubts about it - HP PSC 1510 is scanning fine even with the cartridges completely removed! Hoooray!
    Now I have a working scanner, ufff!

HP PSC 1315 - never more, ever.