Hp G62-a70sm bricked

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by rough raider, Sep 20, 2014.

1. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    I have Hp G62-a70sm bricked, with new version of Hp bios :mad:. I have tried with HP Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) Support Environment and Bios version F.08 A, got 01439.fd renamed it to 01439.bin decripted it with phonix, renamed it in 01439.bin and 01439.SIG. Tried inserting usb stick, power and Win+B ( before removed hdd and dwdrw) . but nothing happened. On my board there is this stickers g62.jpg .
    should I rename bios to something different ?
    Is it posible to recover it with jtag or somethig similar ?
    Thanks in advance .

2. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    What BIOS version bricked your laptop?
    Flashed all version from support and no one bricked laptop.

Is your CAPS led flashing? When try to recovery.
    Did you place 01439 files in right location?

3. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Bios version 2011-12-06 , VersionF.48, 4.52M sp55430.exe, after update it shows me on vga some signal but all monitors I have shows "out of range" message. Caps lock shows nothing, only wifi led lights up. 01439 files I put in all folders New, current and old.
    Is it possible to flash bios chip without desoldering ?

4. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    In most cases win+b should make caps led flashing.
    Is possible without desoldering.But you need solder wire or some clip to attach programmer to chip.

You talk about bin but should be like
    Open 01439.fd with Phoenix tool.As result you get 01439.dec and rsa.sig
    Rename 01439.dec to 01439.bin and rsa.sig to 01439.sig
    This two files 01439.bin and 01439.sig copy them in 3 folders new,current ...
    USB pen drive is make by HP tool? Could be SP52264.exe
    Search one with led activity indicator to see if there is any activity on device.
    Try to hold win+b until usb pen drive led light up.

5. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    i did this from Nalco:
    "First, you have to go to your model name on the original HP web, and download the so called "BIOS Update Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI)" than, install it, and choose USB option. Now you have your USB prepared.

Second, you have to download the original BIOS. At that point i ahve to say, that for my model, there are several BIOS option at the HP web, first is the normal bios. (and old versions) But we need the so called : Winflash blbabla Bios, which contain the only BIOS that worked for me. So download it (F.08). Once downloaded, unzip it with WINRAR. Now you have a folder with the original BIOS. Rename the .fd file to .bin.

Third, download the Phonix Mod v.2.11, install it, and aply it to your .bin file. Now you will will have a xxxx.bin.dec file and a RSA.SIG. Copy these two to Current folder of your already prepared USB stick, then rename xxxx.bin.dec to xxxx.bin, and RSA.SIG to xxxxx.SIG (the same as the previous .bin file). Example:

01439.bin.DEC --> 01439.bin
    RSA.SIG ----> 01439.SIG

FOURS, unplug everything (batery, power, USBs), then, plug the power cable on, and then the USB stick. Now, turn on your computer, everything should go just FINE"

only used phonix 2.56.
    Tried after that creating usb with SP52264.exe but no result. Dont even light up led in usb stick. Tried with kingston, maxell and TakeMS sticks. so it seems to me that this must be done hard way... its my bad luck :weeping:
    I dont have hot air gun so cant desolder chip but can solder wires on it . Is bios stored in MX25L3205D ? Can I program it with Jtag ? Is there any manual about it. thanks

6. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Is not JTAG is SPI .
    During my attempts to mod BIOS for UEFI boot I bricked my G62 many times.
    Except few times when bds module was altered recovery works fine with latest F48 version.
    do you have required efi files on their location on USB pen drive.

If your pen drive have led activity and no sign of light that means BIOS really corrupted or something didn't work fine so no recovery is done.

Didn't try withouth battery,battery was always present and charger too.
    Also since hdd was wiped so no HP partition on hdd never removed hdd and optical unit.
    Just plug in pen drive,press key combination,press power on and after some time led of pen drive start flashing (that means pen drive is readed) few seconds later laptop have image of bios recovery applications and start recovery.
    What folders structure have you on usb pen drive?

7. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    Folder structure
    1.Hewlett-Packard
    2. Bios Biosupdate Systemdiags
    in folder bios /current New and previous folders,in all I put bios files
    in biosupdate and systemdiags have .efi files
    Didn't try with F48, I'll try in the morning. can you please upload somewhere content of usb stick that used to unbrick yours G62?
    Thanks

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    soo under your battery compartment says 1439-300 ?

mainboard stickers arent it... its on body of plastic where battery goes in.

9. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    #9 rough raider, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    (OP)
    it says Rev.143A-100 g62-1.jpg
    Tried with and without battery and with F48 and F08, but led of pen drive dont start flashing, pressed key combination for more than 5 mins.
    I have borrowed MiniPro TL866A programer (can I use it instead SPi) , and tried with ic clamp but it cant recogonize it on board.
    Any suggestions ? thanks

10. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
  11. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    #11 rough raider, Sep 21, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
    (OP)
    I done everything but caps led dont start flashing
    even I made HP_TOOLS partition on hdd and copied bios files on it, but nothing...caps led dont start flashing and screen is black, only fan is working

12. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    I will try to reprogram Ic, but I have some doubts about bios files. Should I load original xxx.fd or decripted file after Phonih ?
    Did you shorten some pins on IC ?

Thanks in advance.

13. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    No pins shorted.
    Take note that are 2 SPI chips one is main BIOS other is EC firmware.
    First of all dump original content.
    Then upload it to have a look.

Original fd is crypted so don't write that since will not fit or work.
    Decrypted bin is composed from EC firmware plus BIOS blank image.
    From that you must separate EC firmware and BIOS image,I say it blank since is without required serials,model info etc.
    From original dump if is still OK that area you can extract and add this to blank image and write by programmer.

As for address to separe EC firmware and BIOS I can tell you when I reach home at PC.Is last 4MB of file.

But first make sure all is OK and you can read and dump original.

14. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    #14 rough raider, Sep 23, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    (OP)
    do You have dumps that fits, i think that my bios is corrupt and thats why cant start recovery from usb stick.
    "From that you must separate EC firmware and BIOS image,I say it blank since is without required serials,model info etc." is there any manual about it ?

thanks

15. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
  16. rough raider

rough raider MDL Novice

Sep 20, 2014
    sorry to bother you, but I must ...
    what type of programer you used to read bios on your mboard ?
    I have MiniPro TL866A and in manual it supports MX25L3205D, but it wont, says "check id error" , tried with ic clamp and with soldering direct wires on ic
    tryed also on mb from another model working CQ laptop it does not recognize same ic, so must it be something with firmware of programer.

17. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    I use Postal AVR.
    But not in circuit.
    Could be bad connection,unsupported chip,low power.
    Bad connection - check wire connection,ic clamp.
    Unsupported chip - I think not, since even not supported,must be some id,don't know your software.
    Low power - since BIOS chip is powered from 3.3V always on,when you attach wire or clip to IC 3.3V provided by programmer drop to a low value since from that 3.3V source are many other powered.

You can check with multimeter if 3.3V are OK or drop down to 1-2V
    If this is the problem then you can try with powered laptop but since laptop is powered there is activity on datalines between MCH and BIOS chip and this could interfere with programmer - chip communications.
    Best method id to desolder chip,backup-write new,solder chip back.

18. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    The MiniPro TL866A isn't very good unless your directly put the chip in its ZIF socket. I'ver never been able to get it to work any oither way.

19. pincushionman

pincushionman MDL Novice

Oct 12, 2010
    @donovan6000

Do you recommend the SOFI SP8-A then?

I hope I can post this link... well crap. I found one at aliexpress that seems to have 4 adapters (First Supply), one of them looks to support 8 pin BIOS packages. Any thoughts?

20. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010