HP G62 dGPU not found

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by giofrida, Jun 18, 2015.

1. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    I own a HP G62-B13SL laptop which has an Intel CPU and a hybrid video card system: an Intel HD Graphics (1st generation, integrated) and an ATI HD 5470M (dedicated).
    After some years of usage the dedicated GPU needed a reball so I opted to directly change the motherboard. I bought for 55€ a used MB of a G62-A022SL which has the same specifications of mine: an Intel CPU + same hybrid video card system.

However, after having installed it, the laptop didn't find the dGPU card, neither in the Device Manager nor in RW Everything. So I thought the ATI card was disabled and in order to enable it again I had to change the notebook system information (like Serial, System board ID, PCID, etc.) because on the original motherboard by changing OS SKU value I was able to disable the integrated card in order to fully use the dedicated one.
    After writing the new information in the EEPROM the laptop dead: at boot the screen was all black with no backlight. I desoldered the EEPROM and reprogrammed it with a fresh new BIOS.

Today I soldered the EEPROM on the motherboard and put it back in the laptop again. The PC came back to life!
    I added the missing information with HPBFO300.exe with the data of the original motherboard.
    However, the computer still can't find the dedicated card.
    I now have no idea what to do, so I'm asking here for help :worthy:.

Thanks in advance

2. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    If you disassembled notebook did you check if ATI chip and required RAM chips are present on board?
    If these are present maybe aren't powered.

You need to have some skills or some friend with some electronic skills to check that.
    Search for Foxconn Star Federer schematic and check power source of this.

3. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Thanks for your prompt response. :)
    The GPU and RAM chips are present on the board. I didn't check if they're powered though. The guy who sold me the board said the dGPU was working on his computer. Furthermore, the revision ids of the two boards are different: '1.10' on the original one and '1.00' on the another one.

4. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #4 giofrida, Jun 19, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    (OP)
    This ATI GPU is powered by different voltage sources: 1.8V, VDD_CORE (1.12V) and VPCIE (not measured yet around 1V) for powering the GPU, 3.3V for some I/O pins and 1.5V for powering the memory modules.
    I couldn't measure the 3.3V source because I think it's on the bottom layer of the motherboard (I have access to the top layer only when the PC is turned on).

The 1.8V source is OK, measured 1.78V. However for the 1.5V I measured around 1V.
    I confused the 1.5V line with VDD_CORE one, which is OK and measures 1.12V.

The 1.5V source is controlled by a MOSFET, which gives power to the GPU when a line (DGPU_PWR_EN#) is asserted low.
    I will check the voltage at that line and post the result soon. The line is asserted low as expected.

I still need to be sure that the 1.5V source and VPCIE are OK.

The 1.5V source that powers the memories is OK, measured 1.53V.
    The 3.3V source is also OK, measured near the BIOS EEPROM: 3.32V.
    VPCIE measures around 1V, don't know if it's OK or not.

Now I'm really out of ideas :(. I don't know what to do to enable this card.

5. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    #5 gabiz_ro, Jun 20, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
    If power is OK,board is OK if you trust seller,don't know what to say.No idea.
    Nothing strange in device manager? Unknown devices,yellow exclamation marks?

Try older BIOS from support.Check on italian HP web page for actual model.

You may try some linux distro live and check output of lspci command

Check reset and clock signals for ATI chipset but this require good osciloscope.

6. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    No yellow exclamation marks, nothing at all! I will try with a Ubuntu Live USB to get lspci output. I'll try to reset BIOS settings (a guy on HP forums solved in this way) and/or unlock advanced tabs in the BIOS (there's a setting to change display mode: iGPU, dGPU or Hybrid).

I have a 20-years-old analogue 35MHz oscilloscope Philips PM3305. I don't think it's enough for this work :p.

7. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Thank you for your BIOS. Little OT: what module did you edit to remove whitelist?
    However, even setting the display mode on 'dGPU' the PC does not find the graphics card. LSPCI does not list it.

Could it be a problem in the PCIe connection? From the schematics I see the GPU it's directly connected to the CPU. I say this because the ATI HDMI Codec is also not listed on Device Manager.
    Even worse, could it be a problem with the BGA solder balls? If so the GPU needs a reballing and I bought another motherboard just because I didn't want to spend too much on a reballing service.

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    idea.. hp part numbers ?

i seen someone use some pci hack tool to enable the registers for the pcie for wifi ( someone in lenovo forums).. wonder if similar can be done.

9. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Thank you for your help. Here are the HP Part Numbers of some of the components:

• HP G62 Motherboard (original, shipped with my notebook): 615382-001
    • HP G62 Motherboard (bought): 608340-001
    • WLAN PCIe Module (AR9285): 580101-002
    Other information about the notebook:
    • HP G62 B13SL - Product no. XF278EA#ABZ <= my notebook
    • HP G62 A022SL - Product no. WS450EA#ABZ
    Tell me if you need anything else.

10. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    #11 gabiz_ro, Jun 21, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2015
    Seller may cheat you and board was bad from start.
    Seller may be OK and board get damaged during shipping.
    Incompatible board with bios version.

If all power tu GPU are OK,all needed signals (clock,reset etc) then only cracks on BGA or trace lane could be the problem.Otherwise must appear listed somehow in device manager or lspci output.

Did you save a dump of original BIOS chip?
    what version was? Open in some hexeditor and look at the end part there must be something like
    BID01439

But since nothing at all detected I don't think that is BIOS problem or some mismatch between hwid of chip and hwid from vbios.

Try other CPU

As for whitelist
    Don't remember what module.
    Was a few time ago.
    All other mods I've found was problematic:
    -act as bricked when save settings in BIOS (need to remove BIOS battery to reset)
    -weird or slow acting on enable-disable wifi (at startup wifi was in off state,to power on need to press several times Fn+F11 to activate)

Could be OEM Bios lock module but I'm not sure.
    I can't check now but as soon as I reach home I'll check.

In older version was PCI lock module but in F48 was changed.

11. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    You are correct. I could try to test the clock since it's 27MHz but I can't find the RESET line on the schematic. I'll try to contact again the seller to retrieve more information about this motherboard.

I still have the dump of the original BIOS. The version is, as you wrote, BID01439.

At the moment I don't have another CPU to test.

I was asking you for the whitelist modification because the only way I found to disable it is by removing all the BIOS checks (CMOS errors, battery problems, etc..). The module name is 'StartUpMenu'.

12. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    #14 gabiz_ro, Jun 22, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    H19BiosLock aka CD28DACA-BDBE-481A-90AC-625C79CF234C module is responsible for whitelist.
    Whitelist is not really found as list,is created on the fly when that module run.
    If you look into with IDA sub_1800003F4 is the one that create list of accepted cards.

Did you check carefully board for missing or damaged components?Maybe during shipping something bad happened.
    If you need I have board view for one revision and few revisions schematics if I remember right.

If I'm not wrong,I take a look at schematics last night,US6 is used for reset,is in firts page of GPU section schematic

13. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #15 giofrida, Jun 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
    (OP)
    Thank you guys for your help.

Tonight I'm going to test the clock and reset pins and I will post the result here as fast as possible. If there aren't any problems on those pins I will carefully check the board by looking for missing/damaged components.

Edit: reset and clock lines checked: 3.3v on reset line (active low) and about 27mhz on clock line.
    Yesterday I hadn't enough time to check the componenti so I'm going to do that tonight. I'm going to upload the motherboards photos so you can see them

14. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    I compared the pictures I took from the motherboards and I found out a few things:
    • the "new" one misses an analog switch, used to drive the PWM signal to the LVDS. Its name is "UB9", it's a "TS5A3157DCKRG4". RB22 and RB24 miss on the "old" motherboard. Instead, RB24 is present on the "new" one. I think the PWM signal is driven by the iGPU.
    • the "new" motherboard includes PQ781, PQ782 and PR769 while the "old" doesn't.
    • the "new" motherboard doesn't have RG430 but RG434.

15. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    UB9,RB22,RB24,PQ781,PQ782 are not related to ATI GPU
    RG430 and RG434 are hardware configuration,acting like switch
    Present means high or 1 absence low or 0

So you have
    AT_MEM_ID
    0XXX on new board
    and
    1XXX on old board
    Your old board was 1GB video memory?
    What memory chips are on new board?

On schematic R436,R437 and R434 are GPIO pin
    I means Included NI means Not Included I suppose.
    As for config
    001 512MB
    011 reserved
    unknown for 1GB

So for board with 512MB
    R434 - not present
    R436 - not present
    R437 - present

For board with 1GB
    Unknown

What config is on old and new board.

Look at these for aspect,look like factory mounted?
    Also in case of missing,solder at pads look like not mounted or have some form that look like missing component.
    Hope you understand what I say in my poor english.
    In not mounted case solder on pads look smooth,in case solder on pads is not smooth and maybe have traces of missing component maybe when handling board was damaged

16. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #18 giofrida, Jun 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
    (OP)
    This afternoon I will have some free time so I will be able to look at the boards.

Edit: sorry for the late response

1 means present on board, 0 not present
    On the "old" board, the resistors are:
    RG94 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID0
    RG431 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID1
    RG104 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID2
    RG430 - 1 - AT_MEM_ID3
    AT_MEM_ID is 1000, so 128Mx16 Hynix 1GB which is correct, the memories are actually Hynix branded.

RG437 - 1 - AT_GPIO11
    RG436 - 0 - AT_GPIO12
    RG434 - 0 - AT_GPIO13
    AT_GPIO is 001, so the memory aperture size is 512MB

RG72 - 1 - HSYNC
    RG73 - 1 - VSYNC
    1,1 means "Audio for both DisplayPort and HDMI"

RG113 - 1 - GPIO0
    RG114 - 1 - GPIO1
    RG112 - 1 - GPIO2
    All these PCIe features should be enabled:

• GPIO 0 : PCIE FULL TX OUTPUT SWING
    • GPIO 1 : PCIE TRANSMITTER DE-EMPHASIS ENABLED
    • GPIO 2: PCIE GEN2 ENABLED

On the "new" board, the resistors are:
    RG94 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID0
    RG431 - 1 - AT_MEM_ID1
    RG104 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID2
    RG430 - 0 - AT_MEM_ID3
    AT_MEM_ID is 0010, so 128Mx16 Samsung HC12 1GB which is correct.

RG437 - 1 - AT_GPIO11
    RG436 - 0 - AT_GPIO12
    RG434 - 0 - AT_GPIO13
    AT_GPIO is 001, so the memory aperture size is, as on the "old" board, 512MB

RG72 - 1 - HSYNC
    RG73 - 1 - VSYNC
    1,1 as on the "old" board.

RG113 - 1 - GPIO0
    RG114 - 1 - GPIO1
    RG112 - 1 - GPIO2
    The PCIe features are same as on the "old" board.

17. giofrida

giofrida MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Any new idea?

18. gabiz_ro

gabiz_ro MDL Member

Feb 2, 2010
    For the moment nothing new.
    When you check voltage presence,you say something about inaccesible side.And checked same power line in other place.
    Try to check at last accesible point.
    Let's say 3.3V is same for many blocks but at GPU is connected thru some inductor (coil)
    If one is broken,fused,damaged you'll find 3.3V almost anywhere where must be,except one or few capacitors on GPU side of inductor.
    Ex.
    +V1.8S_GPU it may be OK and present in few measurement points but if LG52 is burned or damaged then on CG313,CG298,CG174 you'll get 0V as result who know how this will affect GPU?
    Same at LG14,16,24 and many more.