HP G7-2246nr laptop - Downgrading Windows 8 to 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ozc, Nov 26, 2012.

1. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #1 ozc, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
    First off, drivers are not an issue, have them.

The problem - Couldn't use Daz Loader
    "unsupported partition table"

What I did 1st.
    I enable Legacy Mode in BIOS. (cant disable UEFI afaik)
    I used Gparted to create 3 partitions and did ntfs formats.
    When I tried to install windows it would not unless I deleted a formatted partition and let it set itself up.
    This created a 100mb MBR partition and a 128mb MSR (reserved) partition.
    After getting into windows I tried Daz Loader but got the "unsupported partition table" message.

What I did 2nd.
    I tried the diskpart steps to do an MBR format in the Daz Loader text but I got
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed on GPT disks"
    Either I did something wrong or the Bios is blocking me in a way I don't understand...
    Seems I am blocked.

Possible 3rd path.
    I really don't think of this as a viable option for future installs/reinstalls but I can put the HDD in an older laptop to install windows then move it back over to the new laptop and then run daz loader. Does this sound feasible?

I'm really at a loss here and over my head. Never again will I buy a computer with windows 8...

2. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010
    #2 windsman, Nov 26, 2012
    Well, it's appear thats your windows installation is based on efi because of the MSR partition created.

You've enabled legacy mode in the bios so normaly when you select boot sequence choice at startup with the windows 8 dvd insert, you can boot on hdd or ssd, usb ect..., and you should have two dvd rom choice one with uefi based and one one with legacy mod, if you don't have this you may have a other option in the bios that let's you the choice at boot sequence (maybe you'll have to enable advanced options in the bios if you can).

windsman.

3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    I tried Windows 8 several times and I disliked it. But rather than live with an "I'm in over my head" situation why not just restore your Windows 8 system and work with it for a while?

I dislike Windows 8, I don't detest it, and if I had to use it I would adapt. I think that's preferable to having a brand new "boat anchor" you can't use at all.

4. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    "you select boot sequence choice at startup"
    Ahh. Maybe I need to press F9 for that option. In middle of another operation at the moment but will try.

"you should have two dvd rom choice one with uefi based and one one with legacy mod,"
    Hmmm. Yes I'll look into that.

If that doesn't work would making bootable Windows 7 USB get me around the EFI?

"maybe you'll have to enable advanced options in the bios if you can"
    HP, advance options? Lol, I don't think they afford you such luxury.

"I dislike Windows 8, I don't detest it,"
    I do detest it... Too much is broken and unfixable on it... It's like every other version of windows since ME has been a public beta test that you pay for.

5. windsman

windsman MDL Expert

Jan 11, 2010

LOL, hp with advanced options:rasta:

I don't think that will work if you install via usb, you will get the same result part has that two usb stick entries should appears in the boot sequence mode.

windsman.

6. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    You detest it but you bought it anyway. Don't know where you are but where i live, Windows 7 computers are still available for purchase all over the place.

7. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Price/features, didn't expect this UEFI BS...

8. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #8 ozc, Nov 26, 2012
    (OP)
    Ok, there are two optical drive options when I press f9 on boot.
    •Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive (UEFI)
    •Boot From EFI File
    •Internal CD/DVD ROM Drive
    •Notebook Hard Drive

However even though I created partitions using gparted in Ubuntu I'm getting...
    "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

What am I doing wrong now. :confused:

I can only guess Ubuntu will make use of UEFI and/or GPT partition tables without asking me if it's capable of doing so.

9. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    #9 ozc, Nov 26, 2012
    (OP)
    PROGRESS.
    I repeated the instructions for Daz Loader and did a full MBR format of the drive. (no partitions)
    After installing windows I was able to use Daz Loader!

NEW PROBLEM.
    I have no partitions. If I go back and try to use gparted to create them I'll probably end up with a GPT partition table.
    Either this is because I run Ubuntu from USB which has no legacy boot option or there is a way to partition the drive without GPT.
    Basically that's what I need help understanding now. :wiggle:

UPDATE.
    I really was doing it wrong and making 3 primaries (which is a GPT thing). I made my primary then an extended drive.
    Now I'm installing windows on the 1 primary without a hitch. I should have it going by tonight!:clap:

10. bicyclechris

bicyclechris MDL Novice

Oct 31, 2012
    I did the same thing and reverted back to Windows 7 on my Lenovo Thinkpad X-120E.
    I have legitimate copies of Windows 8, so installation was easy.
    However I have an AMD Fusion APU chip in it, so the Radeon graphics are integrated with the processor cores.
    With windows 7 I could play back 1080p video without a problem, especially on YouTube.
    However Windows 8 suffered completely. The video playback was herky-jerky, and completely unacceptable in all formats. (flash, quicktime, silverlight).
    I have Windows 8 running on a VM on my uber-desktop which houses a Nvidia GTX 580, so video playback is a non-issue there.
    Historically, I have found that Radeon drivers are poo, despite the fact that they often boast faster clock speeds.
    I'm an Nvidia fan all the way!

11. ozc

ozc MDL Novice

Jan 19, 2012
    Did you make sure all the drivers are installed?
    This was the chipset driver for mine.
    support. amd. com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/raid_windows. aspx#2

I also installed the graphic driver w/ CCC.