HP Hard Drive DMI Utility

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by asin123, Oct 12, 2010.

1. asin123

asin123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    Does anyone have a copy of the HP Hard Drive DMI Utility with Instructions?

My HD recenlty gave up and I replaced it with a Retail one not a genuine HP OEM one but would like to Tattoo it to the original HD.

2. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    HP Hard Drive DMI Utility ???

What are you talking about? To my knowledge there is no DMI area on harddrives

3. asin123

asin123 MDL Novice

Jul 27, 2009
    I am referring to the tattoo utility to tatoo the HD.

4. FreeStyler

FreeStyler MDL Guru

Jun 23, 2007
    You cannot tattoo the HD, only MB (Motherboard)

5. HPINSIDE

HPINSIDE MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    Yes you can

Heres the iso and directions, simple as 123. You can thank me later:worthy:

Attached Files:

6. DesertTech

DesertTech MDL Novice

Nov 16, 2010
    #7 DesertTech, Nov 16, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
    Not a valid archive error message on this file: HDD_DMI_Utility.zip Using Winzip 14.5 on a Windows 7 64 bit system.

7. g0rak

g0rak MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    Did not work for new hard disk for HP DV3-4050ea

The DMI utility didn't work for me.

The ZIP is fine, i burned the ISO, it boots, I selected 'Save' to save the DMI information to the disk.... DMI written to sector 8, looks ok.

BUT... the restore utility still says "system recovery media does not support this computer"

This is on a DV3-4050ea. Any advice?

8. g0rak

g0rak MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    I put my original hard disk back in, tried restoring again, still no go!! In my case, there may not be a problem with the DMI utility.

So now my problem must be down to either:

* updating the BIOS has caused the restore CD's not to work (it was the correct update from the HP site so should be okay, but perhaps a DMI code has changed slightly)
    * wiping the original hard disk completely (getting rid of all partitions and installing Win 7 using my OEM DVD with the sticker on the bottom of my laptop) may have removed the tattoo from sector 8 on the original hard disk
    * something else strange is up

I will be calling HP tomorrow. Other than that, any ideas?

9. g0rak

g0rak MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2010
    Turns out that it was updating the BIOS that stopped the restore DVD's from working. I updated the BIOS to F.16A, and had to return to F.05 to use the restore disks.

For what its worth, the HDD DMI utility didn't seem to be required. I checked and it definitely writes info to sector 8, but in my case it appeared not to be required by the restore discs as it still worked after I removed the DMI info at sector 8.

My laptop is a HP DV3-4050ea

10. HPINSIDE

HPINSIDE MDL Novice

Nov 1, 2010
    Its for desktop.

I misunderstood, but the HDD DMI utility is needed for most desktops.

11. voicegrrrl

voicegrrrl MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2011
    This is what I am experiencing as well. This machine is an HP Pavillion a6200n desktop. I have burned the ISO for the HDD DMI utility, and it ran fine. I elected to save the DMI info to the hard drive, which it appeared to do just fine. However, when I run the System Recovery disk 1, it still says, "This PC is not supported by the System Recovery disks...blah blah blah." When I access the setup screen, I noticed that the Build ID field is blank. I believe it was likely erased during a BIOS upgrade, but I can't get my hands on the previous BIOS version. Can anyone help me so that I can get this system restored for my dad? All he wants to do is play his games and his pc has been down for over two weeks while I try to get help from HP (who have convinced me NEVER to buy from them again).:help2:

12. voicegrrrl

voicegrrrl MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2011
    Can anyone help?

Everyone,

I desperately need assistance with this. There MUST be a way around this roadblock that does not include paying Best Buy, HP, or any other rip-off entity to do the simple task of reloading a system with system recovery disks after replacing a hard drive. Is there anyone who can point me in the direction of a cost-free solution so I can get this machine running? I will be most grateful for your efforts. Please respond soon. Thanks in advance!

13. voicegrrrl

voicegrrrl MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2011
    #14 voicegrrrl, Jun 21, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    Sos help sos help!!

Here is an update:

I have ran the HDD DMI took successfully and the information is on the hard drive. I have ran the Phoenix-Award DMI utility, by using an IDE DVDRW, and saw no errors when I picked option 2. Yet, I still get the message "This PC is not supported by these disks..." when I try to use the system recovery disks. Can anyone offer some direction so I can get this system running? I am SO stuck!!

Here is some info on the BIOS from the setup screen:

BIOS: Phoenix-Award
    Core Version V6.0
    BIOS Revision 5.20 10/03/2007
    Model number ALONPAV
    Product number D5468a7-ABA
    Build ID <BLANK>

The Product number for this unit is GN556aa
    The Serial number is MXX7470KCN
    The Build ID is 74nav3pra1 and it matches the bottom of the machine, as well as the system recovery disks.

When I ran the Phoenix-Award DMI utility, I chose 1 to see exactly what it was detecting. Here is what I found:
    DMI Signature found
    # of DMI nodes: 50
    Vendor: Hewlitt Packard
    D5468a7
    Version 1331211RE101EXPLO0
    Serial number US10101010NA100
    Important-->NA100<--

Everything seems to be in order, yet it will not let me run the recovery disks. Please help :(

14. Daz

Daz MDL Developer / Admin
    Staff Member

Jul 31, 2009
    This may sound like a silly suggestion but could you not just download XP, Vista or Windows 7 and setup everything from that? For Vista or Windows 7 it should find suitable drivers all on it's own and activation would be simple :g:

If you could get an OS running on there maybe you'd have better luck finding the BIOS too?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. Joanne

Joanne MDL Novice

Jun 19, 2010
    @voicegrrrl Sos help sos help!!

The documentation for that HP stuff can give you a headache, need to read it several times to fully understand it and get it right.

Good luck

16. voicegrrrl

voicegrrrl MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2011
    UPDATE:

Here is what I decided to do, and my tale of how that isn't working out so well, either. I have NEVER had this much trouble fixing a PC in my LIFE! Grrrrr! OK...I installed a Dell copy of Vista Home Premium on this system. Now, I have tried to do this several times and it would BSOD me. FINALLY, it took and it is still flakey at bootups. I am starting to think that I have a bad power supply as well. Here's why...

Now that the OS is installed, I can't get the driver for the Nvidia Ethernet Controller to work. I have tried Microsoft's version and Nvidia's most recent version. All I can get is a local connection--no internet. This means I can't change the Windows key either. I am tempted to put in a used NIC card and go from there--less headache and CHEAP! Then the next time it boots up, there is no video. Then the next time, video is ok but the NIC won't work. (Imagine a smiley here, pullin' out it's hair!)

Sooooooooo....I am going to get a used NIC off of Ebay, like an Intel PRO, and then move forward. Nothing is worth the stress I was feeling over this stupid PC--now if I can get the NIC to work and test the PSU (likely replace it, too), there will again be peace in the valley.

I want to thank all who posted to try to help me in my hour(s!) of frustration.

Peace to all! :v: