HP Laptops with Windows 8

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by itsbighead, Apr 11, 2014.

1. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    Hi All

Recently i bought a cheap ass HP Pavilion Sleekbook 14 off eBay where the original hdd that it came with had hard drive failure. After trying every method known for days on a external computer, i decided to give up knowing i couldnt save the recovery partition

As a result i was not able to retrieve the recovery files on the separate partition. Currently i know how to create a image that i can use to restore in the future but i dont have the recovery manager executables

So could anyone with a HP Laptop that came with Windows 8 out of the box along with having fast internet be able to upload their recovery partition with the exception of the preload folder?

Thanks

2. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Dude, why not keep it simple and fresh install windows! am i missing something?

3. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    dude its such a hassle not have the recovery tools available

sure i understand making it simple and fresh but i want to have the programs to be able to restore fresh images onto my laptop without having to wait forever while it installs

4. Ming_the_Merciless

Ming_the_Merciless MDL Member

Feb 7, 2014
    So far, all replies have been accurate and helpful, but I do understand where the OP is coming from. I hope their request is satisfied, but in my experience, it is quite rare to find a recovery partition image posted anywhere.

5. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    #6 bchat, Apr 11, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
    My suggestion follows EFA11's idea.
    Bite the bullet, do a fresh install - image it - you are safe from all future catastrophes.
    Make an image of the bare OS install and another with all programs/personal settings if you care to.

I have been using Acronis True Image for years, never a problem.

Acronis will allow you to make a bootable USB for future "recovers".
    A fresh install gets rid of all the HP blah blah blah too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Rock Hunter

Rock Hunter MDL Senior Member

Dec 6, 2011
    You should be able to get all or at least most of the HP files you need from the HP web site downloads in addition to what you get with Windows.

7. bchat

bchat MDL Smart Azz

Nov 7, 2008
    True - got all the drivers etc. for my HP lappie there.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    stupid thing is i got the drivers for everything besides the recovery manager which they only offer for laptops running Windows 7.

9. itsbighead

itsbighead MDL Novice

Jan 16, 2014
    this is a really stupid question but im thinking of selling the laptop and i want to delete my user profiles and data from it but i dont want to wipe and reinstall the whole hdd

is there a function within windows 8 that allows me to purge all my personal data in a way that leaves all the drivers on the hdd intact?

10. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I would make a default one without a password. PC-USER or something, they can change the name and add a password and account on their own if they choose.