HP mini 1000 not recognizing hard drive

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by nticompass, Jan 10, 2013.

1. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    This is weird story. I have a Zune 30. It uses ZIF PATA drives, just like my HP mini 1000 does.

I wanted a new SSD drive for my Zune. The one I bought didn't work. I was curious if the one in my HP mini did. I took the drive out of the netbook and put it in the Zune, didn't work.

I put the netbook back together, and it won't admit that there is a hard drive connected to it. I have a ZIF -> USB adapter, and the drive (and all ZIF cables) work great.

Why won't my HP read the drive? I've tried re-flashing the BIOS with the latest, but that didn't work.

I figured I'd broke the laptop somehow, so I found a new motherboard for it on eBay. I switched the motherboards, and it still won't read the drive? WTF? Why won't it read a working drive using working ZIF cables?

2. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    are you sure that you connected it right side? :) I have 1.8 ZIF in my zen sleek photo and I can say that I can connect drive both sides.. :biggrin:

3. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    I've tried both ways and with different ZIF cables. Nothing o_O :(

4. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    maybe you have blown the controller on hp mini by putting it wrong side? :)

5. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    I hope not. Because that's 2 busted motherboards. :(

I could get a third one, but what if that doesn't work either? o_O

6. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    that would mean hdd failure.. :D

7. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    That's what I originally thought, but the HDD works fine in my ZIF -> USB adapter.

8. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #8 gabris[LT], Jan 16, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
    it can be just because of "unique" chinese circuitry imho...

maybe BIOS stays on post screen for longer than usual?

if yes - should be circuitry fault, higher possibility would be mobo in this case..

if not - if you are familiar with electronics and and have multimeter lying around try to find ZIF pinout and check if power comes from mobo to hdd(or if to think there is much easier way.. hdd motor is spinning? :D ) and if its not it should be just fuse..

9. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    I could whip out my multimeter, but I was able to find my old HDD. The motor in the drive isn't spinning, when connected to the netbook :weep: This drive works fine with my USB adapter...

I guess I killed this motherboard too! Oh well >.>

10. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    nah.. you just blown power fuse :) if u have some soldering experience you can replace it(just solder wire instead of fuse..) I have done the same in my lappy when touchpad was shorted.. :D also now you can try connecting it other side. ;) maybe then it'll start spinning.. just check to be sure.

11. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    #11 nticompass, Jan 16, 2013
    (OP)
    A blown fuse, eh? I had a feeling I shorted something. I *can* solder, I'm just not the greatest at it.

I can see if I can find where the fuse is, and try that. What have I got to lose? It doesn't work anyway.

Any idea where said fuse would be? :p

I was thinking of trying to buy another mobo, they're like $15-$20 on eBay ^^

12. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    find ZIF pinout, trace +5v bus and try to find grey component or resistor with 0 on it :)

13. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    #13 nticompass, Jan 16, 2013
    (OP)
    Sounds like something to do when I get some free time :D

14. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #14 gabris[LT], Jan 16, 2013
    yep.. depends on circuit.. you can spend from 30secs to few hrs to find it :)
    another way to find it - try to search for element with letter F on PCB it should show infinite resistance..

What to solder instead instead? just peace of wire.. but while removing old fuse u can damage the PCB if you're bad at soldering so instead u can just solder wire(but be sure that it won't break off and you won't make short with other elements) on top of fuse and put small piece of isolation tape on your work just in case..

15. nticompass

nticompass MDL Novice

Jun 17, 2010
    This should be something fun to try then :)