HP notebook with Windows 10 Home to Pro problem.

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by rwijbenga, Nov 18, 2015.

1. rwijbenga

rwijbenga MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2008
    #1 rwijbenga, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    Hi,

I have a HP notebook with Windows 10 Home pre-activated on it. Now I tried to reinstall Windows 10 Pro OEM from an official DVD but when setup finishes it is still a Home version activated. I also did not get the 2 prompts for the new key.

The Windows 10 Pro DVD is official with an unused Windows 10 Pro key..

How can I force the installation to the Pro version, of in other words how to disable the automatic activation of the Home version.

I think a key in the BIOS is telling the install it must be a home version.....

Or is the only option to get a legal version of Pro to buy the update online from MS directly even if I already have a legal unused key and DVD?

Any tips welcome. :worthy:

2. genenioo

genenioo MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2007
  3. odiebugs1

odiebugs1 MDL Expert

Jul 30, 2015
    #3 odiebugs1, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    On a clean install it should ask for a key, and if you use the pro key it should come out pro, you can also go to settings and update and add the key and it should change to pro.

You can also copy the DVD files and burn them bootable to a flash drive for full UEFI booting, and Create a text file named PID, add your pro key and save the file and copy it to F:\sources. Where F is your bootable Windows 10 flashdrive

4. rwijbenga

rwijbenga MDL Novice

Apr 29, 2008
    @odieburgs1:

Whoohoooo! The PID.txt was the answer! Thnx!! :worthy::clap: