HP optical drive ( model GSA-H31L) unable to read disc

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by nickpeh, Nov 1, 2015.

1. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi, recently I reinstalled my window 7 due to some start up problems. The re-installation was using the optical drive installed and successfully done installation on my window 7. One thing I found, after that installation, I tried to run some other disc from music to photo collection in those burnt dvd but out of 10 , maybe one can be read. Anyone here got such issue? I tried all ways like deleting upper & lower filters, reinstall driver and etc...still same, who can advise what's the cause out from it?

2. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #2 Muerto, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2021

3. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    I sense dead lens.

4. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Check if there's a Firmware Update for that drive available, and if, use that and try again!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    hi pisthai, I can't find the firmware online.

6. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    I don't have anything new installed , I am using the Microsoft security essential. Bios checked identified there.

7. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
  8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That's an LG Drive!! Just google for: Firmware GSA-H31L[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]

Maybe you could get them directly from the LG Website/Support!

Just to note: It's maybe possible that the GSA-H30L is the exact same drive too!
    [/FONT]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi, I went to the LG web support unable to get the drive Gsa-H31L or H30L firmware. U know where to get?

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    If you google for that, you'll get multiple sources. I used that way to updated all of my optical drives, which are most from LG!

11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #11 Joe C, Nov 2, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    Try the dvd disks that you burned, on to another pc to confirm that it really is the fault with your drive. If it is your drive and not the dvd disks, then it's much easier to cough up $13. and buy a brand new dvd drive

12. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Hi, I found but most of them required to load their download manager. I read the info on my mainboard Asus P5G41T-MLX, it point out something like > The serial ATA 3 gb/sec is backward compatible with serial ATA 1.5gb/sec specification.

Does the above mean that the mainboard unable to support the drive? I found the optical drive running at 1.5gb/sec as per some info on the web.

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    The MB would support SATA 1 device (CD/DVD/BD/HDD) with no problems! Backward simply means: with older versions etc.!

Did you didn't have an extra Optical Drive/DVD Burner for to test it's just the drive and NOT the MB, Chipset and/or BIOS?

14. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
  15. nickpeh

nickpeh MDL Novice

Oct 17, 2012
    Thank u @pisthai, I will try the 2nd method to look for a driver and test. The reason being why I think it's driver because I am using the same optical drive to reformat my window 7, only after that I tried to slot in dvd or disc for test run and found it's not reading majority of it except one or two . If it's the lens problem, probably I will just get it replaced with new drive since it's not expensive though.

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Not sure, it still could be a lens problem. Maybe you download CD-Roller (would need a cracked version because it's Payware!), and try one or a few of those DISK's you couldn't read, for to see CD-Roller would be able to save the content of that Disk.

If the Firmware of the drive is OK, and you have some empty Media (or RW Media) try to format those, copy some files on it and try to read in any other drive.

Just to mention: I do like GEAR special for to use with RW Medias because I use a lot of them for Backup purpose, and GEAR is the only Apps I found to be able to really do an very clean formatting of the RW Media's. Other advantage of Gear (Mastering Edition) is, that I could use multiple Optical drives at the same time.

Therefore I would suggest that you download and install GEAR try your testing with that apps.