HP or Lenovo?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by elementinsane, Feb 6, 2013.

1. elementinsane

elementinsane MDL Member

Nov 10, 2010
    I plan to buy an AIO.

I can't decide which brand is future-proof.

I am getting :

HP Pavillion 23 -b026in

i5 3rd Gen 3330 2.7Ghz

4 GB RAM

1 GB NVIDIA 610 Graphic Card

OR

Lenovo B 340
    i3 3rd Gen

1 GB NVIDIA 615 Graphic Card

1 TB HDD

I have highlighted the USP of each. and even the cost is nearly the same.

But the reason I am considering HP i5 + 1 GB NVIDIA.

I wanted to know if any one has any experience with either brands, good or bad. It could help me make my decision.

Thanks.

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    You know the HP dual-GPU system? If you don't want to have that headache, go for Lenovo (former IBM) so it's good. In the future you can even install OS X on it. The thing is that the dual-GPU is more of a hassle. I own an HP i5 with dual-GPU, so I know. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Basically dual GPU is a pain if its an Intel+ATI. Intel+Nvidia has no problem.

4. rimax

rimax MDL Novice

Feb 10, 2013
    Generally I'll always go for self-built rig (not pre-built branded rig)
    Then choose the newest chipset among the mid-high end board.
    Sadly I don't think AIO are futureproof. They look good but you're limiting yourself too much.

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Yep, since I use leshcatlabs' driver 13.1 I have no problems.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. laptop servis

laptop servis MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2013
    Lenovo is my choice

8. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson MDL Junior Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Basically those two systems are not future proof at all. They are basically a laptop stuffed in a monitor. Both will be basically the same except HP should have better tech support.

That being said, you need to let us know what you'll be using this system for.

If you mainly play 2d games, surf the net, email, pictures, documents, etc... They should be fine.

If you are going to play any 3d games, then neither the 610 or 615 will be of any use at all.

Also, I find that the touchscreen is pretty well useless for a desktop. It will be easier to just use the keyboard/mouse.

Lastly, if you are space limited and need an AIO then go for it. You won't find too much better, but if you have the room you'll be better off with a tower and monitor. A complete tower with monitor will be cheaper than the AIO and at least twice as powerful.

The AIO look cool, but just aren't really practical unless for a specific situation.

Luck
    -=Mark=-