HP PAVILION 23-b010ef ALL-IN-ONE no display after BIOS upgrade

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by Basior, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Basior

Basior MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2016
    I have a HP PAVILION 23-b010ef ALL-IN-ONE and after BIOS upgrade there is no display.
    Has anyone had similar problem?
    Any solution?

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    Flash the previous BIOS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Simply try to connect a external Monitor to that laptop and look you could get the picture on that one! May you'll need to use the FN + ?? Key for that action too. That ?? Key on my laptop is either F5 and/or F6! Maybe that could help!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Basior

Basior MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2016
    This is All-In-One PC not laptop and there's no external video output.

5. Basior

Basior MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2016
    I unable to see anything on screen and I'm unable to connect any external monitor

6. Basior

Basior MDL Novice

Jan 9, 2016
    Any other suggestions?

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that an visit by HP Service is on order!!

I looked at the specification of that 'Toy' and first thinking were: KEEP HANDS OF FROM IT!

Unfortunately, without a working screen, it's simply impossible to even do revert 'burn' of the original BIOS! Even not an HDMI connector is available on it!

Sorry, couldn't help!

8. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    still with NO DISPLaY you should be able to Boot to BIOS. or very least insert the Recovery Media you made when NEW. most most manufactures make that Image a Default when inserted and turn on device
    My Acer AIO is that way, but it also has a HDMI Video out. and if I turn off insert the Factory Recommended USB Recovery then turn on it auto BOOTS to.

9. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #10 Joe C, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  10. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #11 Joe C, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  11. shotgun25

shotgun25 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
  12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  13. shotgun25

shotgun25 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    #14 shotgun25, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Hi,

I have successfully flashed the 8.17 rom file back to the chip (unfortunately before I saw your post) using the CH341A usb programmer.

The chip is on the back side of the board on one of the corners. It is labelled 25q64fvsig, the CH341A programming software detected it as Winbond W25X64 and worked great (my first successful use of the programmer and software which didn't come with it, I found separately).

What is likely to be missing/wrong now I have flashed without modifying the 8.17 rom?

I did take a backup and when i tried to compare it there were that many differences it crashed TextPad.

EDIT: I booted into windows fine, although it stated it was setting up devices (windows setup style screen from OOBE) then logged in to desktop.
    I turned off and put the machine back together and I booted fine. I shutdown, powered on and entered the BIOS and the System IDs on the security tab is missing a lot of info like the product name, serial number, SKU and Build ID. The UUID is new.
    There appeared to be a MAC address on the System Information displayed using the first menu (forgot name).

I made a change to disable legacy boot, enable secure boot and enable fast boot, saved changes and the blank screen is back.

Is this a result of a problem caused because I haven't modified the flashed BIOS with key IDs the BIOS needs to be happy that the authentication is good? Something else?

You mention using HEX editor to check which details are missing from the official flash file and the backup file, any recommendations and specific combinations of hex codes to look for specifically?

Thanks in advance.

14. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #15 LatinMcG, Jun 3, 2016
    you will need nbdmifit or slp tool to edit that info.
    i usually just open side by side and scroll to sections and match it..
    try flashing backup back and see if the info is back ?
    seems like you have a corrupt DMI table? or EFi is corrupt.
    flash it with programmer again and load defaults then flash latest bios again.

windows 8.1 has info in the bios for the 8.1 key

15. shotgun25

shotgun25 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    #16 shotgun25, Jun 3, 2016
    Hi,

I'll have to strip it down again to get to the BIOS chip.

If I flash the backup of the 2.17 original corrupt flash then I expect that wont have anything on the screen.

After I noticed the screen wasn't coming on I did a CMOS + PW clear with the two jumper sets. That did nothing.

There is a ROM_Recover pin header with 7pins + 1 blank, and a jumper over pins 1-2 (from memory). This is supposedly a top side SPI flashing mechanism, but I don't have a cable rigged up to connect to that....yet. I did find a guide for it somewhere that suggested it was a non-standard SPI layout. I'll dig through my history for that later if your advice doesn't work and I need to flash again.

Is it possible to flash the required specific elements of the backup BIOS, or is there a checksum like when inserting SLICs into BIOS files? everything needs to check out?

Edit: I knew about the BIOS having the Windows 8 key, read a lot on the forums when Windows 8 came out and I have even backed up one key at the time when downgrading someone to SLIC 2.1 Windows 7 install.
    Not sure if the Windows 10 digital entitlement would be altered if the key suddenly wasn't seen (if future checks are made)?

16. shotgun25

shotgun25 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    #17 shotgun25, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    So clearing the CMOS got me back on screen, but i'll still need to put the info in using NBDMIFIT as suggested. If I manage to get the info into the BIOS using that tool, will there be anything else missing?

EDIT:I've reflashed backup bios via windows SAFUWIN tool but the ID's havent returned, even after loading defaults.

EDIT2: The NBDMIFIT v2.03 tool doesn't support my platform?, and the Windows version states it can't read BIOS.

I'm thinking that there is something wrong with ME information because the tool said the following on screen.

Code:
    ME state configuration
    Vpro uncommitted
    Management Engine FW issue
    Descriptor locked

* ME errors! *
    * You need to reflash 4M/8M BIOS or order another systemboard *

Ideas?

EDIT3: I have flashed my original BIOS backup directly to the chip the same way I obtained it, using the CH341A programmer. I have loaded defaults and it boots, but the info is still missing from the System IDs etc.

Also I have found the latest version of NBDMIFIT is 2.0D. It successfully reads BIOS using Wnbdmifit64.exe in windows, but advises "This System Board is not supported. Will not be able to set BIOS settings.".
    I suspect that this tool, even in EFI or bootable MS-DOS will not be the right tool.

What else is there for HP Pavilion boards?

I have a picture of all the system id's before the BIOS flash failure.

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  18. shotgun25

shotgun25 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2009
    #20 shotgun25, Jun 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2016