HP Pavilion DV6-6C82SL success tips

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by shybear, Nov 7, 2013.

1. shybear

shybear MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2013
    First of all thanks to all ppl that posted this thread.
    I wish to quickly report a success recovery with this Dv6.

The file name is really really important, if you don't rename the two BIOS files with the right name the recovery will never start.

I worked likes 3 hours to sort all right but finally...bingo.

These tips I will say works for the title laptop model so I can't say it will work on all models.

The best way to have the right BIOS files without you have to use Phoenix mod Tool is to directly download it from the hard drive. You will find it inside the system partition HP Tools.

Copy the two files and all the three BIOS subfolders: Current - New - Previous.

If you haven't the BIOS because the hard disk is missing, you can download it from HP official support and drivers download.

Use winrar to open the sp... .exe downloaded files.
    In my case inside it I found also other two exe files. Don't run it but use again Winrar to finally get the BIN file which is the encrypted BIOS file.

With Phoenix tool mod decrypt the extracted BIOS so you will get the two files.

example: downloaded file: 017FC.BIN open it with Phoenix tool and you'll get:

017FC.bin.DEC
    RSA.SIG

Now we get lost because some says to rename it with the ID board and someother say to rename it using the Rev number laptop. You can find it under the battery.
    Others says to looks the Platform.ini file but we were more lost because on it there were under Platform Check:
    [Platform_Check]
    Flag=3
    PlatformName1=AA
    PlatformName2=BB
    PlatformName3=
    PlatformName4=
    PlatformName5=
    PlatformName6=
    PlatformName7=
    PlatformName8=
    PlatformName9=
    PlatformName10=
    PlatformName11=
    PlatformName12=
    PlatformName13=
    PlatformName14=
    PlatformName15=
    PlatformName16=
    PlatformName17=
    PlatformName18=
    PlatformName19=
    PlatformName20=

We spent a lot of time and serval files names tries without any luck, but finally we noticed that ALLS BIOS releases used Always the same bin file name.
    So we wanted to try the easiest way renaming:

017FC.bin.DEC => 017FC.bin
    RSA.SIG => 017FC.sig

See that the rev was: 17FD - 210 not 17FC!!! (maybe a typing error but if you name 017FD it won't works!!!!)

I hope it will help other folks to finally makes recovery bios and rebirth deads laptops.