Hp pavilion Dv6 display fail

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by mohkam, Apr 25, 2014.

1. mohkam

mohkam MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Hi Hp pavilion Dv6 has neither internal nor external display. Fan is running, hard drive spinning. Steps taken : Tried with only mobo and new ram to no avail. Is DV6 prone to graphic problem, same as DV 6000-9000...series? Any suggestion as where to dig further is welcome. Thank you

2. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Not sure what this means, but if you can't get either the built-in display or a stand alone monitor to work, I'd say you have a problem with your video card/chip. Of course that's not a certainty, just one possible cause.

More information would be helpful. Such as age of the computer, who installed the OS and when, any OS related installation problems, have you noticed excessive heat or had heat related problems and etc.

3. mohkam

mohkam MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    #3 mohkam, Apr 26, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
    (OP)
    ... Tried with only mobo .."
    Tried with mobo taken apart and only one single Ram

Age of lap is not known, but lap looks like new inside.

Wish to precise that lap does not display bios screen so OS is not yet involved.
    Fan cleaned and new paste applied. No excessive heat noticed.

4. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Obviously, we're not communicating effectively. Your computer simply will not run at all if your mobo is "taken apart", i.e. dismantled. You're going to have to be more explicit here. What are you doing to your mother board? Swapping RAM? Re-seating the CPU? Replacing the CPU fan? Swapping cards? What exactly.

I fail to see how replacing thermal paste has any bearing on your problem unless you suspect you're having heat issues. Thermal paste is to aid in the transfer of heat energy away from the chip it's applied to. But you said, "No excessive heat noticed".

If you computer "does not display bios screen", and "OS is not yet involved" you're saying, basically, your computer is dead. Fans are spinning as is the HDD, but that's all that's going on. And that may mean a catastrophic failure of some sort.

At this point, if this were my computer, I'd remove the HDD and attach it to another computer and see if it runs and displays data. If it does, it's likely OK. If not, you likely have a dead drive whether it spins up or not.

The reason I asked about the age of the computer is to gauge its worth. If it's several years old and has failed, how much effort are you going to expend on it? If it's new, maybe a warranty claim is possible.

5. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Did you get any single output on screen? Let say the boot process from the machines BIOS or so?

If noe of that is shown, means permanent black screen, not a single digit, your MB is malfunctioning or better: DEAD!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mohkam

mohkam MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013

I'll try to be more explicit : To help isolating the no display issue (internal and external display fail), I powered the mobo naked with only a known working ram and display screen, with no avail.

Though, no excessive heat noticed, I cleaned fan, reseated CPU and put new paste (preventive and/or curative measure).

Yes,as mentioned tested with all peripheral removed, it does not display bios screen.

The owner of the DV6 (i.e my customer), wishes to make it repaired if possible, rather then buy a new one.

7. mohkam

mohkam MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013

As mentioned on my 1st post, no single display output but only fan and HDD are spinning.

8. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    Any beep codes? It almost sounds like dead cpu chip.

9. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    That fan and HDD are spinning only tells that the power is supplied. It didn't tells that the MB is working! That could have several reason and to find out what the hell is going on, I would consult an Service station. You could consult any HP Service station and ask them for an detailed quote which would tells you what's wrong with that machine. And a quotation is normally free of charge!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    CPU? I don't think son, more likely the chipset!

11. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    #11 CaptainKirk1966, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
    It could be either. I have gotten no beeps with dead cpu before, and corrected it by swapping in a spare chip. A bad motherboard is also possible, and would be even worse. No beeps and no display sounds like a pretty serious problem.

Try putting "no post no beep" into a google search (without quotes)

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #12 LatinMcG, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Code:

Sometimes the socket for cpu comes loose from board. Or chipset..apply pressure before and during boot to test

13. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    More that 70% of the MB problem on HP Laptops are Chipset related according to the HP Service Thailand! Some models of Acer till 2 years ago had also the same major problem with chipsets!

Anyway, I would just consult an HP Service station and let them quote the repair for to get to known what's wrong with that machine!

14. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    If, as you state, the only thing you had attached to the mother board when you powered up was RAM and the display, you don't have a working computer. You still have to have media of some sort attached such as an HDD or SSD to get it to boot.

I understand applying power to a mother board to test it, but that requires some pretty sophisticated test instruments to interpret results. Beeps only go so far.

Are you charging your customer by the hour? If so, it won't be long before accrued charges he (or she) have to pay will have bought a new computer.

I agree with refurbishing old equipment when possible, but I'd say the box is a lost cause.

15. rjk123

rjk123 MDL Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Nonsense. No disk drive needs to be attached. It would still do a power up self test (post) without any disk drive attached, you would see messages from the bios on the display, the last message would be about a missing operating system.

16. Bytebuster

Bytebuster MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2013
    Exactly my thought lol :rasta:

17. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    Yes and no.. Efi diags on hdd for hp.

18. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
  19. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    For to see the machine is able in general to boot, NO drive Storage etc. is needed. Needed are min. 1 Memory Module and the CPU while in Laptops all other parts needed are fix-mounted on the MB!

If, in case NO drive etc is inserted, just Memory and CPU, the Screen didn't show any sign of activity, something ts wrong with the MB or the screen. If also an attached external Screen didn't shows any activity, the problem lies in the MB! And in Laptop MB's, it's the Chipset which regulates the graphics in first place and not the graphic CPU! In case the chipset is OK, there would be at least an kind flicker and/or flash on the screen when power up the machine!

20. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    #20 PhaseDoubt, Apr 29, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2014
    My point was unless you have some pretty sophisticated test instruments to test motherboard components, beeps from a powered up driveless motherboard tell you little to nothing. And at this point, he still has a dead machine and has had no success in reviving it.

You can't determine the viability of a component by removing it. The very best you can do is establish the HDD as not contributing to the problem. The HDD would still need to be tested, he still has a dead machine and apparently no test equipment of any kind.