HP Pavilion G7 (AMD64) RSA bios modding, a bit help needed..

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by thothie79, Oct 25, 2014.

1. thothie79

thothie79 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2014
    Greetings fellow modders.

So I started a little project of my own (against all warnings), an attempt to bring those Insyde-hidden tabs (advanced etc..) back in my bios. I installed all needed programs (as said in Donovan's blog, the Phoenixtool, hex-editor, disassembler, Donovan's IFR Ectractor) and started by downloading hp's bios update (F.26), unpacked it, ran it with Phoenixtool and....

Ran into the "not phoenix/ami/insyde/efi bios" - message. *crap*. A bit more reading, and discovered it's RSA crypted. Okay, installed F.26 with HP's tool instead of InsydeFlash.exe (HP tool uses UEFI method), rebooted to Debian Linux, mounted EFI partition, and copyed uncrypted bios & signature file from there, and back to Windows.

(Side note: Seems like I get the correct bios dump useing the Backup_Tools.exe which is referred at here too in several threads)

I get the bios & modules unpacked with Phoenixtool (thx Andy if you read this, a wonderful tool), find the correct module, get it open in disassembler, find the right locations (With a bit help from IFR extractor), but this is where I lose the grip. I'm not so familiar with assembler code, so I have no idea what to modify, because my bios files are sooo much different from the ones Donovan uses in his blog, i.e I get no "jump if zero" - orders anywhere in the code; and those are the ones I'm supposed to change to do nothing and/or to "jumps" to get the hidden tabs visible.

I will post more info / links to bios(the un-RSA version), if there's anyone actually willing to teach/help me with this (My goal is to learn to do this stuff myself, not just get the bios modded), otherwise I just post a request to the correct thread for modding.

Hopefully someone got what I'm after here, waiting for a sensei to arrive...

-Thothie-

P.S The blog I'm referring to, can be found by googling "Donovan6000 Insyde Bios Modding: Advanced and power tabs"

2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    problem is after flashing it. crc error and it bricks usually.. good luck

3. thothie79

thothie79 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2014
    Well, personally it's not the "Un-Bricking" that I'm worried, quite many laptops with Insyde allready recovered..

4. donovan6000

donovan6000 MDL Novice

Dec 29, 2010
    LatinMcG is refering to how the bios will verify itself to prevent it from being modified, and how it'll hault the boot process if the verification fails.