HP Pavillion 17-e002sg - broken display, how to get ext. Monitor working in BIOS ? HDD image anyone?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by itsmemario1, Nov 25, 2019.

1. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #1 itsmemario1, Nov 25, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Hi there,

got a HP Pavillion 17-e002sg here.

It booted into Windows just fine, but only using an external monitor.
    The laptop screen has vertical lines.

The external monitor wont show the bios. Only windows gets shown.

As of today, the HDD died and I tried various youtube videos to navigate through the BIOS in blind mode.
    But to disable Secure Boot, I need to enter a number afterwards it seems...which I cant see.

I tried booting various CDs, (Win 8, Win 10, Knoppix etc.) but they all did not boot.
    I tried to pre-install windows 8/10 to another HDD and boot it from within the laptop. It fails of course.

Is there any "cheat" to get an external monitor working before Windows, to view the bios ?

Is there any chance someone has a HDD image of this particular laptop ?

Would it be possible to flash a already "Secure Boot DIsabled" BIOS via Crysis Recovery ?

I already tried "Windows Key + B + Power On"..which should re-flash the last bios...but I only get a blinking CapsLock...which, according to google results, means a defective CPU or Mainboard...yet the Laptop booted and worked just fine this morning.

Any help is really appreciated.

2. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #2 itsmemario1, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    (OP)
    If I tamper with the display connector on the mainboard, I sometimes get to see the left side of the actual boot screen...but on the right side of the display.

Guess thats a graphic chip issue.

Any chance to disable the RADEON and just use intel onbaord graphics ?
    I remember on the 2011 macbooks you could desolder a resistor if you had such graphic issues, to disable the nvidia graphics.
    Then the macbook would boot just as normal, but without the power of nvidia.

UPDATE:

Managed to use the half screen, to disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy...on reboot the "Please type the number and press enter" message, already appeared on the external monitor...wtf hp....:S

Weeee...

3. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Some HPs only display the bios on an external monitor if you detach the LVDS cable from the internal display.

If I'm not mistaken, that laptop has a dedicated GPU and an intel HD graphics included with the CPU. If the dedicated gpu is damaged, it should still be able to generate image because the intel gpu is the responsible for managing the displays.
    If you have some soldering skills, you can remove 2 large chokes near the GPU and it should cut power to it. Only do this for debugging purposes.

4. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #4 itsmemario1, Nov 26, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    (OP)
    Hey and thanks for the reply. I thought about desoldering as well.

Ya, it really only works without the cable.

Is there a tutorial for desoldering these 2 chokes ?

p.s.
    I installed Windows 10 Home x64 and the intel & Radeon Drivers installed just fine.
    No problems in device manager.

5. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    @Michaela Joy

I was asking for a specific tutorial on the hp Mainboard, regarding those 2 "chokes" (position and stuff), not for basic soldering techniques. ^^

6. Michaela Joy

Michaela Joy MDL Crazy Lady

Jul 26, 2012
    Then I suggest you open up Youtube and search for it yourself.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    #7 itsmemario1, Nov 27, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    (OP)
    Uhm ? Okay...
    MDL is usually my last resort, after hours of google/forum/youtube research.

Dont get me wrong, I love to post solutions to something, but here Im lost.

I have watched so many hotgun and "fix GPU" videos about 17" hp Pavillions by now...all useless regarding this problem, about "desoldering 2 parts near the GPU".

I already did such work on a 2011 MacBook...and you really need guidance on which of these "parts" you have to desolder. Tutorials on these are rare, because you need to know exactly what you are doing.

Thats why I felt really lucky, reading TigTex his post...as it sounds like, he knows which "2 parts" I have to desolder. (?)

Anyway, the laptop runs just fine now, using the Intel HD4000 and the Radeon, so I probably wont have to desolder anything.

But just in case (and for future hp 17" Pavillion owners) Id love to know which "2 parts near the GPU" TigTex meant. :)