hp probook 6540b bios updated, boots to bios if hdd is taken out, or no display

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by ranajee3, Oct 3, 2012.

1. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    Hi All,

I have HP ProBook 6540b notebook. I have upgraded its bios and now it has started giving errors.
    1. It gives checksum erroe CMOS reset(502), but now it doesn't come up with this error anymore as I have reset system configuring to default.
    2. There is no display if system powered on while the hard drive is installed.
    3. The system boots ot bios only when there is no hard drive and searches for drive. As there is no drive, it comes with erro"non-system disk or disk error"
    4. System boots to windows when the hard drive is attached via ubs.
    5. System boots with DVD when windows CD installed in it.
    6. When I restore the bios to default settings, upon restart system ask for " the following configuration change was requested to this computer's truted platform module(TPM):
    clear the TPM= F1-accept, F2-reject.

Now, please anyone help me how to make system configuration change so that it may recognise the hard disk. Or is there any problem with the bios installed??

2. SOCRATE_MMXII

SOCRATE_MMXII MDL Expert

Jan 25, 2012
    If I were you, I'd flash again with the factory BIOS. ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    when I tried to reflash through usb diagnostics, there were no previous files and I could not simply restore the factory bios. Now after a couple of tries of restoring or re-applying the other version, i did not allow and shuts down, there is no display at all and fan runs in high speed now.

4. gabris[LT]

gabris[LT] MDL Senior Member

Nov 6, 2010
    let's start from the beginning, why did you flashed your bios? :biggrin:

5. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    That is the question I don't know myself that why did I think hp to be a reliable!!!!:suicide:

6. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    On a serious note, Please can someone guide me how to start from scratch to give life to this bricked machine! Thanks

7. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #7 gabris[LT], Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    well, if thing is in BIOS chip you need to get an SPI programmer and decompress & cut firmware.. :D and then flash it. Or if lappy supports - recovery flash. for me it seems more like some kind of HW damage.. have you tried to disassemble it before probs appeared?
    Also try "Try a hard reset, power down, unplug AC cord and remove Battery, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, connect AC only and see if it will boot." and the last question for now, did you download BIOS update from official HP site?

P.S. recovery flash can be done using USB stick, I don't know how exactly but it supports it.. :D

8. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    1. Bios was downloaded from official hp website of the same model and installed under win7.(no disassembly apart from RAM and battery removal)
    2. Upon restart, there was balck screen.
    3. I did hard reset, no display.
    4. Removed hdd and cd Rom, and then did USB method to reflash the Bios.
    5. It worked, but still was corrupt but it let me change the config to default and diagnostics to run.
    6. When the diagnostics was run, it did not let me flash the update again in diagnostic bios setup and system shut down.
    7. Now, upon restart, no display and num lock and caps lock both blink 3 times in 5 sets and then fan speeds up.
    8. Upon trying the USB method again, no change, no USB readings or USB blinks, no luck!:mad: o_O

9. ranajee3

ranajee3 MDL Novice

Oct 3, 2012
    There are no beeps actually, but blinkings and between pauses the num-lock and caps-lock both blink 3 times which according to the code is the following:
    Caps Lock/Num Lock 3 Memory Memory module error not functional Reseat memory modules (see next section). Test memory from UEFI or BIOS. Replace bad memory modules. Service
    And on top of all even after removing the battery and RAM modules, and reset; the system does not recognise the USB method re-flash bios process. whereas this process worked before and helped me to restore the bios although it was not fully functional and gave error yet through diagnostics I was able to find and flash the correct bios. And after all this is the current situation that the machine is bricked now. All failed:suicide:

10. gabris[LT]

Nov 6, 2010
    #11 gabris[LT], Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    haha :D two last posts were really useful, as suggested in link that Outkast1 posted try to reseat RAM, if that doesn't help you still have one thing to try, remove RAM and clean gold ram pins using your t-shirt or towel or whatever is near you from that kind of things.. :D it may be grease from your fingers which appeared on gold pins while you were dealing with RAM and it caused these probs :biggrin: old problem, I first time saw it on SD-RAM(DIMM) and then do recovery flash from USB again. it should work :D unless bootblock is not damaged.

You flashed your BIOS when RAM was not fully functional, and where updater saves itself and BIOS image? to RAM... mistakes occurred = bad flash. but by the idea boot block can be overwritten only using EEPROM burner, so if my theory is right you'll be happy soon :D
    ALSO, be sure that you fully inserted RAM.

11. Outkast1

Outkast1 MDL Junior Member

Nov 11, 2007