HP restore disks restored the wrong OS...

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by helrazr, Mar 18, 2009.

1. helrazr

helrazr MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2009
    Hi all, I bought a dv8320 laptop a couple years ago. Recently, I decided to upgrade the two 80GB drives to a pair of 500GB Western Digital drives and instead of cloning the OS I rebuilt it from scratch using the 4 dvd-rom restore disks. Much to my surprise last night I realized that even though I was using XP Media Center Edition 2005 from factory, the disks restored me to Media Center Edition 2002. The COA on the bottom of the laptop is a COA for 2005 edition, and I popped in the old 80 disk just to make sure I wasn't fooling myself and indeed, the original factory OS is Media Center Edition 2005. Now I haven't as yet noticed any loss of functionality or anything but I do for some reason feel kind of cheated...

Anyone else experience this? Does HP offer a restore disk for the operating system I actually have licensed or am I just stuck with version 2002?

2. offon7544

offon7544 MDL Expert

Sep 27, 2007
    try to find a oem Media Center Edition 2005 CD on internet, you have a valid licence so you can.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. helrazr

helrazr MDL Novice

Mar 14, 2009
    #3 helrazr, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
    (OP)
    I have an OEM set of disks that I purchased and downgraded my wife's (vista business) HP 8710P notebook from. I was hoping to avoid the registration deal but I suppose thats not such a big problem I guess. I just have to find the Sonic plug-in that allows burning shows directly to DVD through Media Center if I do it this way, it was included in the original Factory 2005 install.

I guess I just find it really odd that the restore disks I made using the HP disk recovery disk creator made restore disks for MCE 2002 edition versus 2005.