HP RIN# and Hardware/Software BOM - to use HP Win 7 Recovery Media on Older G60

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by yolenman, Feb 24, 2012.

1. yolenman

yolenman MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    I'm attempting to install genuine (HP Provided) HP Windows 7 Home Premium Recovery Media from a newer HP laptop model onto an older HP G60-120US laptop (w/AMD processor and Phoenix BIOS) - that originally shipped with Vista.

But I'm encountering the following issue - which is slight different then most HP Tattoo issues - please read accordingly.

First, I have used a "non-factory" bios to update the bios to version F54A, which also revised the SLIC to version 2.1 from 2.0 (the stock bios does NOT revise the SLIC table beyond version 2.0).

I did this as so the forthcoming Win 7 install would be validated (as the install would install the HP certificate). To be clear - I'm not concerned about the validity of the BIOS update - and I don't want to confuse this issue with the other issues - where people cannot use their "FACTORY" recovery media on their system. Again, my issue is slightly different.

When I boot the G60 from the HP Win 7 Recovery Media it ultimately throws an error statsing that I'm unable to use this media to recover for this laptop model and prints out a buch of 4 digit error codes in a pop up window.

Reseaching the issue, I've found tons of info about Tattooing and the HP DMI tool (to write the DMI from the BIOS onto the HD, etc, etc).

In reading HP Tattoo utility documentation, it appears that the Recovery Media verifies certain DMI tags to validate if the target install machine is a vlaid install candidate before perfoming the recovery process.

I believe the tags/fields in question are

"RIN#" / "Software BOM" and possibly "Hardware BOM". Clearly, my older G60 is failing whatever tags the Recovery Media is verifying when it perform this verification lookup (most of this is documented in the Tattoo manual).

I understand that I can use the Tattoo tool to write new values for these fields. I can also use the HD DMI tool as so the system will write the values from the bios to the hard drive.....

My issue however, I do not have another RIN# or hardware/software BOM number from a newer/legitiate HP laptop that shipped with Windows 7 from the factory. Does anyone happen to have this information they can share with me - as so I can use the Tattoo tool to write those entries into the respective BIOS fields (using Tattoo).

I'm hoping - If I enter the right info - the Recovery Media will boot, validate that the G60 is an acceptable canditate for the recovery process, then move forward with installing Windows 7 Home Premium. And since my SLIC is at 2.1 - it should validate.

I know this is the long way around the barn (in that I could just install a retail Windows 7 Home Premium and swap out the SLP/Key/Certificate) - But I really would like a factory like image running on this system - even if it means more bloat-ware.

Anybody got a RIN#, H/S BOM they could share with me ? - or - share any other ideas input that I may be missing ?

I welcome input. Thanks for reading !

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Just use a fresh iso and put HP $OEM$ folder in it... thats it ;)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. yolenman

yolenman MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi Tito -

could you elaborate ? - make a fresh ISO ? - i have a 3 DVD/CD factory set - I can certainly copy install DVD 1 and inpart the above mentioned folder - is this what you mean ? - sorry, while I consider myself very technical, I was not able to understood your suggestion - please accpet my apology.

Leonard

4. yolenman

yolenman MDL Novice

Feb 11, 2010
    Hi Tito -

could you elaborate ? - make a fresh ISO ? - i have a 3 DVD/CD factory set - I can certainly copy install DVD 1 and inpart the above mentioned folder - is this what you mean ? - sorry, while I consider myself very technical, I was not able to understood your suggestion - please accpet my apology.

Leonard