HP Stream 7 'Audit' boot loop problem

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ZaForD, Nov 18, 2014.

1. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hey Guys,

I've managed to get into trouble with a boot loop on this HP Stream 7 tablet, I'm hoping someone with experience with audit or recovery modes can help me out.

On first boot of the tablet, at the first setup page, I hit Ctrl+Alt+F3 to enter audit mode.
    (I was going to have a look around before first boot :rolleyes:)
    The tablet rebooted and the Administrator account was login in. When an error popped up saying:
    "Windows could not complete the installation. To install Windows on this computer, restart the installation"
    The only option is to hit "OK" when I do it, the tablet reboots and everything starts again.

I've tried to 'Refresh' the tablet, but that fails saying "There was a problem refreshing your PC"
    I've tried to "Reset" it, but that fails saying "There was a problem resetting your PC"
    "System Restore" can't find any restore points.
    "System Image Recovery" can't find a system image.
    (I've checked the recovery partition and there are a few .wim's in the 'Windows Image' folder. :confused:)
    I've also tried booting into 'Safe Mode' but I still get the same error.

Anyone got a way out of this loop ???

Thanks Guys.

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Damn, look at that, a whole day and no ones got an answer. :eek:
    Theres a lot of really clever guys here, I didn't think I'd ever get a question that would stump you all.
    (Admins/Mods do I get a prize for that :D)

OK, easier question for you guys ;)

This recovery partition has three .wim files. Custom.wim, ESP.wim and install.wim
    I applied install.wim to the windows partition but it failed when trying to install drivers from a folder that doesn't exist.
    Tried applying custom.wim (which has the drivers folder) but that failed to apply 'resources not found' or some error like that.
    Didn't try the ESP.wim as its only 10mb.

Anyone know how to apply both the install and custom wim's to the same partition ?
    Google just keeps telling me how add two wim's into the same wim, i.e. an AIO wim

The tablets going back to HP tomorrow, so its not that important.
    I'd just like to know if I/we can do it. :cool:

3. hypedave

hypedave MDL Member

Oct 14, 2014
    What do you think about the stream? Im getting ready to evaluate some for a client. I've encountered a boot loop for on a Lenovo tablet. can you post a screen shot?

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi hypedave,

I wouldn't really like to pass judgement on the HP Stream 7 as I never actually had it working and the reboot loop was caused by me.
    Not anything that HP did.

I was comparing it with a 'cheap' £80 tablet called the Linx7, the HP was for me and the Linx for the kids. :cool:
    But, I'm thinking of getting a second Linx instead. There doesn't appear to be much difference in the screen quality, the HP is heavier, yet it doesn't feel better. The Linx looks and feels like a Nexus7, which I prefer to the HP's feel. The Linx also has a mini-hdmi that the HP doesn't. o_O
    The only other difference I've noticed is that the HP has a removable back cover where the SD Card goes, you can also see the battery so in theory you could replace it :confused:
    I like the idea of the SD Card being safely inside the tablet as I won't be removing it that often, but others will hate the idea.

My guess is the internals are the same so I doubt there would any difference in performance between them.
    I don't believe you could use these as a PC replacement. But as a secondary/mobile PC both should be fine. :)

Sidenote:
    The HP case is nice (would be better with a catch) it folds to hold the tablet at two different angels, which are good for watching videos or typing.
    Best part is it works great with the Linx7 too, although its a little tricky hitting the power button.
    Even if I don't keep the HP Stream 7, I will be keeping the case. :biggrin:

5. hypedave

hypedave MDL Member

Oct 14, 2014
    Cool thanks for the info.