HP wifi W10 anniversary pattern ?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by logicwatch, Jan 5, 2017.

1. logicwatch

logicwatch MDL Senior Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Good day
    Just wondered if anybody else has come across this strange recurring issue I keep seeing lately
    I have now seen 4 separate cases in the last few weeks of HP laptops going through the W10 anniversary update and loosing their wireless network card after the process has finished ?
    The card disappears from device manager and on the task bar it says no network devices available with the red cross were the signal strength should be ?
    Intermittently on reboot it may reappear but usually it disappears again after a few seconds.
    If it was a one off I would say faulty wifi card but I have now seen 4 separate laptops and all after the anniversary update have the problems started ?
    Anybody else seen this at all ?
    regards
    :confused:

2. Hadron-Curious

Hadron-Curious MDL Guru

Jul 4, 2014
    That is clearly Wi-Fi driver issue. To start with I would suggest you look for the latest Windows 10 compatible drivers from the devices maker official website and install them.

3. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    uninstall driver from progs n features if it was an upgrade from 7/8x
    run services.msc and make sure device install and device setup manager are running.
    update bluetooth if any then remove wifi device and delete driver and reboot.
    check device manager and retry connection
    (saw one today with version 1511 with airplane mode on and wifi working. i clicked airplane mode off and it disconnected wifi? )

try take power cord and battery out and hold power button 30 seconds to drain power then replug batt and power.

in some cases i had to run windows repair portable and then it worked fine to update to win 10 auto update version by right click update driver in device manager with LAN cable plugged in.
    also had to netsh winsock reset a few.

its been most HP with a few acer toshiba and asus.. but battery power drain helped some

4. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    glad to see its not just me who has had this weird problem lately !!

5. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    ok just to update things

currently looking at a HP envy M6 laptop the wifi is working ok on AC but network adapter disappears when runs on battery.
    So I changed the power settings for wifi in power management to maximum and the adapter is now present when boot up on battery BUT only whilst battery is between 90 - 100% capacity
    then it disappears and the wifi is dropped and adapter disappears again.
    Clearly the issue is related to power on battery powering the wifi adapter but this issue was NOT present before the anniversary update ?
    a separate usb wifi adapter can resolve the issue but why should the internal adapter have to be dropped now in favor of the usb adapter all because of a W10 update something clearly has changed in respect to power settings with the anniversary update and so far i am unable to find a answer ?
    tricky one ??
    :(

6. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    i think its bios related.
    bios version updated ?
    spare hdd fresh w10 install same ?

try uninstall hp wireless button device also.. and wifi and bluetooth then restart

plug in LAN cable then start device install and setup manager services.

7. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    yes LatinMcg
    I did wonder if there was an updated bios which may help ?
    Although all was good prior to the anniversary update.
    Another fresh install to spare HDD is a good shout but alas its a full strip down to put in another HDD ( Grrr !!!! :mad: )
    I could try a winPE 10 boot disc instead ?
    thanks for your quick reply

8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    run windows repair portable in safemode with net with default repairs.. usually reg and file permissions and service permissions.
    the 2 that take long is store and component store at bottom.. but sometimes they are crucial.

9. logicwatch

Jan 26, 2011
    is that the tweaking.com app ?

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    yep mirror dload majorgeeks

dont forget to pull battery and power of then press power button 25 secs to drain it and reset Embedded Controler.

also uninstall all wifi and bluetooth soft and device manager driver (view show hidden)
    and check for printers>unknown
    for some reason it causes win updates to fail with hp printer failed to install due to service device manager.

if after all this it fails still.
    run media creation tool upgrade this pc with lan cable to repair win10.