HP Windows 7 Free Upgrade DVD

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by golk75, May 10, 2010.

1. golk75

golk75 MDL Novice

Apr 24, 2010
    Does any one have this DVD, I am trying to verify if what I have its actually that.
    I am not asking anyone to upload or looking for download links.

I just want to verify what I have here.
    Thanks.

2. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
  3. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #3 Rosco, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
    My upgrade set consists of 2 DVDs:

The first is labelled HP Update Manager and it prepares the system for the upgrade, flashes the BIOS, prepares the system rescue/re-install partition (or whatever it is called on OEM machines) for upgrading to a 7 system instead of Vista and then asks for the Windows media disk. It includes information for both x86 and 64 bit versions.

The second is Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Media Disk - it is like any normal Windows 7 disk - doesn't contain any OEM folder - this is handled by the "Update Manager Disk" - and install wim is 3,178,781 KB instead of 2,137,293 KB so it is a bit different. I removed ei.cfg and it has 3 versions - Home Premium, Professional and Ultimate in x86 available when you try to install but this creates a bit of a mystery about the size of install.wim - install.wim on my genuine 64 bit dvd is 2,793,790 KB.

It doesn't ask for any key if you use it to upgrade following HPs instructions - obviously it will act like a normal disk if you don't.
    Any use to you ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. darren2010

darren2010 MDL Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Hi Rosco i would really like to have the 2 discs you have.I have an HP x32 computer and i am able to run the windows home premium operating syststem on my computer please tell me how i can get them from you thanks.

5. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    I'm pretty sure that the disks I have only support the computers HP included in their Vista->7 upgrade offers so unless your computer is one of these the Upgrade Manager Disk will not flash your BIOS - if it is one of the qualifying computers you can get your own disks.

I don't have the bandwidth to upload 2 DVD images anywhere - my downloads are OK but uploads are terrible.

Firstly - check HP's site and see if there is a BIOS update for your computer dated September or October 2009 and see if Windows 7 is offered as a supported OS - if your computer is a 2009 version with Vista it will probably qualify - I'm guessing you already know it isn't.

If you find out the detalis about postage from Australia I could send you burnt copies if you deposit the costs into my Paypal account.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    I Thought HP were shipping out the windows 7 upgrade with a retail key or coa oem key included? weird how it didn't ask for a product key! :)

7. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    My upgrade kit was made in Singapore and is aimed at HP computers in Aus which qualifyfor the Vista->7 upgrade for Asia - only 3 language options on the DVD - English and 2 chinese ? varieties.

This kit also updates your BIOS for you, migrates all Vista settings and prepares the hidden HP OS partition to be upgraded to 7 so that normal HP rescue functions will restore your computer to a 7 OS environment rather than a Vista one.

PS Afterwards I clean installed 7 Ultimate instead of Home Premium for a leaner system which I could customize and avoid all the HP trialware and bloat.

8. ambidav

ambidav MDL Guru

May 14, 2008
    Iam quite curious about the HP Update Manager disk! is there any oem info eg autounattend.xml oobe info or oem logo's? you can rip from the disk and share? :)

9. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    It has 3 directories
    BIOS
    Lang
    SwSetup

as well as HPUpgrade.exe and some support programs. It only runs on HP or Compaq computers.

BIOS contains updated BIOS files for the computer versions which qualify for the upgrade from Vista -> 7 - there 19 of them.

Lang contains 33 language .ini files.

SwSetup contains 51 directories of the form Win7Dir01 - Win7Dir51 - most of these contain an x64 and an x86 sub-directory which contain the same files in each for the one major Directory. Win7Dir01 contains different files to all the others but where an x64 and an x86 subdirectory exist each contains files of the same name but obviously 64 bit or 32 bit versions.

This disk isclearly providing drivers, programs etc for the various HP computers and various hardware configurations.

Ther is none of the usual expected xml type scripts, logos or any other expected info.

The disk is 4.04 GB and as my upload bandwidth is terrible for upload it is not practical to upload - it would take too long.

10. phukme

phukme MDL Junior Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Roscoe;

just caught up with this thread. You mentioned there are 19 suitable HP models deemed OK for upgrade. Do you have/can you point me to same?
    I have a DV 9563 with vista home premium, am in Bathurst NSW. Can we work something out in relation to copies of your DVDs?

11. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Rosco, what is the SHA-1 of the disk & its label?

sebus

12. Rosco

Rosco MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2007
    #12 Rosco, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
    I looked at HP's site and it didn't list the model number DV 9563. The nearest numbers they list don't appear to have been part of the Vista->7 upgrade program - the BIOS updates on the disk give no clue as to which laptop they are for - in typical HP "we're so mysterious" form - they are something like SP44807.exe etc with varying numbers - my partner's HP is a DV7-2109tx released early 2009 with Vista Homepremium and supported by the disk but there is no way to tell which of these 19 SP....exe files is the one that works - I only found out by finding her laptop on their site and downloading the BIOS update file directly before her upgrade kit arrived. The BIOS.ini gives no clue either.

Unless your laptop is eligible for the 7 upgrade program these disks will be of little value to you other than a Win7 install disk.

Have made a mistake with the model no - the web site keeps asking for a number in the form DV7-2109 ?

I could copy them sure but there is little point as it clearly checks to make certain your machine qualifies.

Rosco, what is the SHA-1 of the disk & its label?

sebus

I've since discovered it is a 32 bit only disk with 3 languages - boy those chinese characters must take up some space ?

13. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    #13 tcntad, May 13, 2010
    Last edited: May 14, 2010
    Edit: Appearently MrJinje and maybe other was/will be offended by this so i decided to delete it, again no offense or no disrespect to any asian MDL members.

Enough.. well the chinese characters doesnt take THAT much space, LP might take 100-130 MB?

14. Mr Jinje

Mr Jinje MDL Expert

Aug 19, 2009
    WTF Grabben ?

Yes, character based languages take up a lot of space on the DVD, but that does not mean we have to take your s**t for it. Think before you speak, none of the Asian MDL member care to hear this.

15. tcntad

tcntad MDL Guru

Oct 26, 2009
    No offense MrJinje, i mean that they like to talk alot and many talk very loud or even shout

I know this beacuse i have an asian girlfriend myself:)

its not my "s**t"?