HP xw9400 Workstation OEM BIOS - Any INFO on How to Decompose?

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by psaisanas, Jul 18, 2013.

1. psaisanas

psaisanas MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    Hi,

I have a HP xw9400 workstation which uses some sort of OEM board from TYAN.

I recently upgraded the CPU's, however now i have noticed that the ACPI tables are full of issues.
    And no newer updates from HP are available.

I have extracted the all the ACPI tables (DSDT, SSDT, FACP, etc), corrected all errors and warnings.

So now it compiles perfectly with the latest IASL toolkit.

So now i want to integrate my updated ACPI tables with the latest HP BIOS, REV 4.03A. Attached zip file is bios image 7D6_403.bin

My question is can this bios be decomposed, import my updated ACPI tables and correct the signatures/checksums?

Are there any tools for this type of HP OEM BIOS? It doesn't seem to be based off any Phoenix or AMI bios... At least to the best of my knowledge... I looked for any intersting strings within the bin file and aside from HP and Compaq, i didnt see anything else to identify.

In the hope that it is a HP-Compaq BIOS, have tried the ADDCC v3 tool and it too doesn't recognise the file!

If anyone has a moment to spare, does anyone have any pointers on if this is possible or am i wasting my time?

Regards,
    Peter

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Where is the bios image??

:confused:

3. psaisanas

psaisanas MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    Im Trying to attach it.

It is in 7zip format, i cant attach a zip archive over a certain limit!!!

Fingers crossed!

Attached Files:

4. psaisanas

psaisanas MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    I have managed to find a tool to decompress this hp bios image from the BORGS tool kit set. The tool is "HPDECO" and is dated from 2004. This only decompresses the image and splits it up into 18 separate files for this particular bios image.

There used to be source code available for this tool but i cannot seem to find it anywhere.

I cant seem to understand yet what it does and how it works.. But looking at the decompressed output files it seems correct.

Does anyone have the source code for this tool or at least know what type of compression algorithm is used?

The output lists the following of the bios image:

Class.Instance : Packed > Expanded : Segment : Offset.

Still scratching my head trying to figure out how to do it!
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Attached Files:

5. psaisanas

psaisanas MDL Novice

Jul 18, 2013
    Ok, I have decompressed the compressed segments and found all of the ACPI tables. Does anyone know what type of compression is used in older HP bios? I have tried to use the Phoenix prepare tool to recompress the original decompressed segment and none of them seem to be correct... i.e. I have tried to use all options, LZINT, LZH, LZSS and another one that I forget and none seem to match. Does anyone know what compression is used in this BIOS... So close to getting this done but this is an impossible hurdle.... Appreciate anyone's help!

Attached Files: