HP Z220 Workstation BIOS settings changed now the pc wont boot

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by dean_abie_pepler, Aug 4, 2018.

1. dean_abie_pepler

dean_abie_pepler MDL Junior Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Hello Everyone :)

i have tried following Hewlett Packard instructions to boot into Windows 7 and now i cant get anything to show on Screen at boot up. i am trying to RESET CMOS. i hope my BIOS is not bricked. i just tried to change settings to boot into windows 7. How do i Reset BIOS? i have tried taking the CMOS battery out but its difficult to get it out.

all i care about is that my BIOS is not bricked. HELP !!

2. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Bricking a BIOS usually only happens if you had a bad flash. Changing the settings will never brick your motherboard. -- That's the good news, so take a deep breath and relax.

Changing the settings, however, can make Windows fail to boot. For example, changing IDE to AHCI since Windows pre-saved that it was using one configuration and suddenly it hasn't updated to the other. The easy fix for this is to reinstall windows (you could try to revert the setting back, but that does not always fix windows). - I would leave the settings to what HP suggested (since that's what you wanted to use, anyways) and reinstall Windows.

3. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    thank you that relieved me. should i buy a Brand new CMOS Battery from the shops? and replace it! cause i watched a video on youtube where a guy showed he changed the BIOS to legacy and then to EFI he showed that taking out the CMOS for i dont know how long while the pc is powered off then he puts it back in the PC Makes a VERY Loud sound with the fans and then after a while it works ok again. i screwed up by pressing the CMOS button and then it would Make loud fan noise and i yanked the power out not knowing its normal have i destroyed my Desktop

4. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    #4 GOD666, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    If you unplugged the power while the system was resetting the CMOS, on some older (cheaper) motherboards it is possible to corrupt the flash (bricking the board). Most motherboards, however, have capacitors that will prevent the shortage from happening through and simply you'll end up with the CMOS not saving. Since your PC is an HP they usually have good motherboards, but if it was a DELL, I'd be worried. You shouldn't have to replace the battery, just pop back the old one. -- You can buy a new one if you wish it would only be $1 - $3 (they're very affordable).

Once you pop in the battery, turn on the computer, and hold and press the key you used to enter your CMOS. If you have fully cycled your CMOS, you may need to use a keyboard that is directly plugged in (not wireless and if your PC is older, using an older keyboard with the old PS2 connection). Once in your CMOS, you'll need to change the settings to your desired preference. If you're really worried about screwing anything up, just select the system default and save. Then reinstall your OS.

edit: -- Assuming a USB keyboard does not work. If it does work, great!

5. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    oh cause its a HP its not destroyed? or have i actually ruined my pc i got it from my moms friend who works in IT he gave it to me for free i am worried about it cause i plan to use windows 7 x64 to run my counter strike server

EDIT its not a cheap motherboard its a very expensive Desktop

6. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    if i were to plug it in again the desktop it will be making that loud fan sound which means its still wants to Clear the CMOS and Reset BIOS
    i will take it to a IT guy at Matrix Warehouse and pay to have windows 7 installed

7. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    When you first turn on your pc, tap the ESC key until you get an option to get into your bios, once in the bios disable Secure Boot and check to be sure the sata controller is set to AHCI

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    yeah i set the BIOS to AHCI instead of RAID +AHCI and enabled fast boot :( i didnt really enable anything bad
    but to get in the BIOS with HP z220 workstation CMT use f10

9. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    If you can get into the BIOS your motherboard is not bricked. Just install Windows and you'll be fine ;)

10. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    is my motherboard destroyed? it was beeping earlier today

11. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    You are someone who I think should hire someone else to look at your computer. :oops:

Your video does not tell me anything since you've not shown what happens when you first press the power button. -- It does show that you've disconnected a few cables.

12. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    that is what my pc does after pressing the Power button

13. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018
    nothing on screen

14. GOD666

GOD666 MDL Expert

Aug 1, 2015
    Again, hire someone. -- You're ignoring any postcodes or beeps or a wide range of other things that could still mean you're motherboard is workable or salvageable. You also have a few cables unplugged too laying in the case which isn't a good idea. If you want to assume your board is dead, you can replace it easy enough, but in your instance, I think you would be one of the few people best left to having someone else to do it.

Good luck :)

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    A lot of pc's won't boot without a keyboard and or mouse plugged in. It will error but if you have the error reporting disabled in the bios, you'll get what you see

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. dean_abie_pepler

Mar 22, 2018