HTPC Advice?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by lovetruth, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. lovetruth

lovetruth MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2014
    I searched the forum for "HTPC Suggestion", could not fine.

Request: Could you please give me a n approximate hardware specification?

Requirement: Should play 4k 60hz smoothly (through Displayport or HDMI2). (No HDR is okay)

Most of the setups I looked would need a 7/8 gen i5+ with non-cheap motherboard (for displayport / hdmi2)

I guess a setup could be 8th gen i5, compatible cheapest mb with displayport, 4k monitor

Remaining - 400W SMPS, 8/16 GB RAM, No Video Card (if i5)

What would be your advice?

2. Julius

Julius MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    4k 60hz. 4-2-2 maybe 4-4-4 smoothly, high bit rate ? passthrough bitstream audio for atmos - hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2 -- hmm. you will have to start with a gtx 1080 and an i7, then build to spec around that.
    look for a board with an audio chipset that supports what you want. need a bunch of big hard drives ? It's addicting, awesome, and it costs..
    you could do cheaper, but it will have some limits..avs forum has good insight on this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Are you planning on using a tv tuner in your HTPC?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. lovetruth

lovetruth MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2014
    @Julius
    4k 60hz 4-4-4 smoothly (if it will cost 1.5x more 4-2-2 )
    passthrough bitstream audio for atmos - hdmi 2.0 hdcp 2.2
    Planning to use DAC

hmm. you will have to start with a gtx 1080 and an i7
    Just wish to clarify my understanding. In today's market, we can get to 1080p at 60hz easily with a mid range setup - an i5+ equivalent and even lower (if we settle a few factors). Processor, motherboard, integrated graphics ... all gel well to make that happen. But I guess that stage for 4k HDR will come only after 5 years. Since 4k hdr monitor is very exp, gpu to push 4k hdr at 60hz is very exp, motherboard also more expensive. So either I can spend a lot more and enjoy for another 5 years, or wait until then to let prices drop off. Am I right? - at least approximately? Just to get to a philosophical clarification, albeit an informed one.

I was under the assumption that what is possible in 1080p is possible for 4k pure 10bit 4-4-4 HDR with a price of ma 1.5X total cost. I guess the actual total cost will be 3x+ (even the monitor etc). So my above question is to get a reality check.

@Joe C
    Are you planning on using a tv tuner in your HTPC?

No, mainly just for streaming media frum HD

5. Julius

Julius MDL Junior Member

Aug 2, 2009
    same here - ripped blurays are on hard drives

6. lovetruth

lovetruth MDL Novice

Dec 12, 2014
    just a heads up - please do advice now also - this post is auxiliary
    friends, i think the yesterday announced ryzen 5 2400g, and its future intel and ryzen likes will help :) hopefully displayport / hdmi 2 - capable of 4k 60hz becomes mainstream in motherboards, else we are throttled at 30hz -