Huawei and Trump Ban

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by frogs2b, Aug 20, 2019.

1. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015
    I have the Huawei Y6 Pro 2019 and Huawei Media pad Tablet. Both are good.
    What happens to them if the ban becomes permanent? Play store and you tube is used a lot.
    Will I need to get a new cell phone and tablet?

2. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #2 Yen, Aug 20, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Do you live in the US?

The products that are sold already are not affected. You still will get updates. Google said they anyway want to do business with Huawei.
    Besides of that Trump has extended the 'grace period' another 90 days.

..all hat and no cattle ... and where is the difference? Apple making their phones in China or Huawei?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. frogs2b

Nov 25, 2015
    Thank You Yen. I will keep the cell phone and tablet.
    I am in the Philippines.

4. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #4 Yen, Aug 21, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
    Huawei products which are on the market already are here (EU) advertised as future-proof with Huawei promise for updates until announced EOS.

Updates come via internet (OTA) and Trump could hardly prevent that for non US customers.

But to watch the situation (future Huawei products) is reasonable anyway, especially if one lives in the US.
    Actually it's the US that is known to spy on their people by modifying devices..reminds me of Cisco's router backdoor...never-mind, Trump is just a poor idiot and troublemaker.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    Idiot yes, poor no. Bet he can find a pot to piss in.

6. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
  7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    After the next election I am hoping we will have a government again.

8. rayleigh_otter

rayleigh_otter MDL Expert

Aug 8, 2018
    you will always have a government, just depends what turds are ruining(sic) it.thing with governments is dont worry about the leader, worry about the faceless individuals in the back offices who no one ever votes for but they are always there pulling the strings.
    is an election a japanese hardon? :biggrin:

9. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
    One of the usual corrupt hypocrites, like massmurderer Obama ????

There is not much good to say about Trump, but it is a pleasure to see him make a mess of the US economy, and also... everybody has to admit, he IS the true representative of the USA.

10. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #10 Yen, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
  11. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #11 Joe C, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    You'd have to be gullible not to think that the Chinese Govt would not have any interest in the companies that they have full control over. The Russian govt does this too, and I'm sure the U.S., U.K and the Aussie's (ect.) also have their security (spying) stakes involved.
    Recently the U.S. govt banned Kaspersky Antivirus....Why? Because the Russian govt passed a law stating they must inspect anything thing that comes into their country, including data collected from software companies like Kaspersky. Of course Kaspersky needs to collect data because it's how an antivirus company works. Think I read somewhere that Kaspersky is considering to move out of Russia. We really do not need a person like Snowden to know what govts are really about in this day and age when it comes to it's citizens actions. They (any world leading govt) call it "Security"

12. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015

The point about Huawei you are missing is, that for me AND PROBABLY FOR MOST PEOPLE ON THE PLANET, it makes not the slightest difference if they ever secretly install an update on my hardware, that will tell them about whatever.

But.... I certainly do NOT want Americans or any NATO country know details about me, which in case they change their warmongering to a real war, might just make me something like a Japanese living in California during WW2.
    The Chinese are welcome to read all my opinions about US & Allies, and also to my opinions about their own government, which by the way is of no interest to them, ever. That the US government prefers not to use Huawei is understandable, why make spying any easier for others. But that is all. To believé avoiding Huawei will make any difference in the end is childish. For us "common" people... what kind of a disadvantage can you see if we use Huawei?

I do not like the russian or chinese governments a fart more than "our" so called western democracies. But any war will most certainly not be provoked by these two, it will be initiated by the US and their NATO sycophants.
    But as even the CIA study realized that the US would lose a war against China, the whole story comes down to economic reasons, and not security at all.

13. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #13 Joe C, Aug 24, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  14. Yen

Yen Admin
    Staff Member

May 6, 2007
    #14 Yen, Aug 25, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    I would accept and respect that all if the govts would present a real proof by naming the technical measure they had found.
    This applies to any country not only the US. I don't like any tech 'measure' to spy on me of which I do not know.

I personally do not blame a certain country alone. But accusations without evidence is like political kindergarten.

I of course think that govts have interests to get such informations, that's not the point.
    Russians and Chinese included.
    And I of course know that even the OS makers are treating my privacy with contempt.

Snowden delivered proof. Anything else I do not know (yet).
    To blame Huawei for spying requires proof.

15. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Do we need proof to avoid the possibility of hardware that could be compromised by an invading army? I mean if your country goes to war with another country, How would you feel if the hardware in the devices came from the country your at war with? I'm sure Russia would not like U.S. devices used for their high security defenses. The U.S. may have installed a back door.

16. ThomasMann

ThomasMann MDL Expert

Dec 31, 2015
  17. frogs2b

Nov 25, 2015
    My Son has a Huawei cell phone. My other Son has a Huawei Tablet. Both are good products. We were only concerned about Android updates.
    We will keep them until they decide they want new ones.

18. PointZero

PointZero MDL Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Who said anything about western countries not spying on China? Of course they are. :rolleyes:

19. frogs2b

Nov 25, 2015
    I do not like Trump. I do not like the Democrats. The lesser of 2 evils is Trump. The Polls leading up to the Election are useless.
    Most people will not admit to the poll that they will vote for trump. Last Election every poll was wrong.
    I got fed up with the country so I left. I have no plans to ever go back.