Hung at "Verifying DMI pool data"

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by pgilmore, Sep 7, 2009.

1. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
  2. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    If you are booting from a cd or memory stick you have to choose custom install, if you choose upgrade it well tell you to reboot and start install from windows.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    So is that the reason its hanging at dmi pool data? And the thing is that if I do a clean install it will erase all my files and settings. I have files on the C and D drives that I need. Is there a way to go back to vista or fix windows 7 without losing my files?

4. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    #4 PrEzi, Sep 7, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Ok thanks for you help prezi. So I cant get the MDRT to boot from usb or cd. Files were probably bad or something. I formatted the usb drive and extracted the files from the iso file on the usb. It should just auto run right?

Got Hiren's boot cd to boot but Im not sure how to install the southbridge drivers though (and i can use the southbridge drivers right?). Do I just extract the files from the driver's .exe onto the usb drive? Sorry never did this before.

6. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Do I have to install the drivers manually? Because I tried the .exe on min-xp and it said msi.dll missing. Also, how do I partition my drive without losing data so I can move the files that are on C?

7. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    MDRT tools shall be installed on a different system, then you need to 'create' DART v.6.0 and then burn it as a bootable cd. You are also required to have an install disc of Vista/7 for DART to be able to copy some files off it.

With Hiren you can only access your system to copy the needed files and/or prepare the drivers for a Win7 clean instal. You cannot modify your existing Win7 installed system with Hiren (i.e. upload drivers etc.).

If you would be able to provide me with Vendor ID of your IDE/SATA controller (via Device manager in Hiren/XP) then I could probably pin-point the problem. Also just to be sure - have you verified that your copy of Win7 is ok ? (i.e. installed it on a different rig) >?

As I remember correctly - the basic North/Southbridge drivers from AMD/ATi shall be already included in Win7 - so something might be fishy here - that's why I ask.

8. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    In Mini-XP you cannot perform more advanced tasks. And definitely you cannot install drivers onto XP. This distribution wasn't designed for it and was slimmed down to the maximum.

Use the included in Hiren partitioning software.
    I would recommend you to use :
    Acronis Disc Director Suite or Acronis True Image. One of them (or both - not sure) are included in the Hiren Menu under Disc Partitioning software.

9. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    The only id I see in device manager is ST3500830AS, which is the hard drive.

10. PrEzi

PrEzi MDL Addicted

Aug 23, 2007
    Navigate to Device Manager -> Expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    doubleclick on SATA AHCI controller -> Details
    choose Device Instance ID
    provide me with the string, i.e. PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&SUBSYS_.... etc.
    then do the same for any other controllers in under the IDE ATA/ATAPI branch.

11. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    The only thing in device manager is mouse, keyboard and unknown. Under unknown it has the some usb drives and then that hard drive id I gave you. How else can I get the IDE id?

12. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    #12 pgilmore, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
    (OP)
    Another question, you said that if I do a clean install of Windows 7 on C drive it wont delete my files on the D drive. Are you sure? Because theres only one drive but its partitioned. On the install, it says C and D are primary. So I think you thought my drives were separate?

Also, min-xp wasnt picking up my external hard drive, but it picked up my usb drive. Do externals work on it?

EDIT - Can't I just dual boot win7 and vista? Just create another partition and clean install vista there? I just wanna make sure that if I clean install vista that it wont erase all my files on my hard drive.

13. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Ok so I think I'm just gonna dual boot with vista so I can use my computer and back up my files... then try to get windows 7 working.

14. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    make sure you uninstall and loaders or activators before proceeding.

15. pgilmore

pgilmore MDL Novice

Sep 7, 2009
    Sorry I dont know what that means. I made the new partition the active drive...if thats what you mean. Anyway I tried to install vista on the new partition but when it restarted it goes to the "verifying dmi pool data" screen and then loads from the usb flash...which then just restarts the vista install from the beginning. Is there something I'm doing wrong?