Hybrid (fast startup) shutdown not working

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by copo, Oct 18, 2012.

1. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hi guys, I've had problems since yesterday regarding the hybrid (fast startup) shutdown.

The machine just won't do it, instead it does a full shutdown. I have the option thickened under power options but it still doesn't work.

The only software change was running a portable version of 00 Defrag 16. I used a portable version because installing it would cause the problem I described above (maybe something about reg files?). I've used the portable version a few days ago but just to scan the drive, yesterday I started to defragment the drive and then the problem surfaced.

hyberfil.sys it's there so I'm out of ideas. Running the shutdown -s -hybrid -t -f 0 does a full shutdown too.

Can you help me?o_O

2. DM-moinmoin

DM-moinmoin MDL Junior Member

Feb 6, 2012
    You can try shutdown.exe /s /hybrid /t 0

3. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Won't that erase my settings?

4. HeadWalker

HeadWalker MDL Senior Member

Aug 22, 2009
    Your problem is exactly OODefrag.
    PerfectDisk 12.5 and OODefrag 16 make fast startup stops working, uninstall and everything works normally.

5. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    What exactly makes it stop working? As I said before, I was running a portable version. While running it, no problems. After the defragmentation started, the fast startup broke.

6. HeadWalker

Aug 22, 2009
    I do not know why this happens, I reported the problem to the support of PerfectDisk, and I'm waiting.
    As for the portable version I do not know how it works, but if you stop using will see that the problem is solved.

7. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I stopped using it since I realized what it had done. I even deleted the .exe and the folder it was in. Ran ccleaner to cleanup registry and still it isn't working. Any ideas? If those guys from perfectdisk tell you what is causing the problem, please let me know.

8. HeadWalker

Aug 22, 2009
    We are in contact by email, for now I suggest you download the full version of OODefrag, install and uninstall again, so you can solve any problem of registry that has remained due to the portable version.

9. badboy77

badboy77 MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2008
    have the same problem with PerfectDisk 12.5, fast boot not working

Do you know if Diskeeper has the same problem?

10. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    I haven't. I use a local account.

11. Vern

Vern MDL Junior Member

May 24, 2012
    I have Perfect Disk 12.5N installed on Win 8 Pro 64 Bit. I've had no problems with Perfect Disk and fast boot is still there.

12. copo

copo MDL Senior Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Lucky you :)

The 'solution' HeadWalker gave worked for me. Installing and uninstalling it removed values from registry.

13. Vern

Vern MDL Junior Member

May 24, 2012
    Not really, I first tried PD 12.5 Pro and then PD 12.5 Business and had trouble with both. It was the N version that worked.

14. RaxcoSupport

RaxcoSupport MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I am very interested in getting this issue identified and resolved with PerfectDisk but I need someone who can work with us offline. I need more details about the issue.

Does the shutdown take longer or booting up?

15. HeadWalker

Aug 22, 2009
    First I want to congratulate for the importance in solving a problem.
    I already have an open contact with Raxco "Susie", and on the question, the start slows down, the shutdown did not notice much difference.

16. RaxcoSupport

RaxcoSupport MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    I'm Susie. I have emailed you or someone on this forum several times and I have not received a response from you. Please reply to my ticket so that we can continue.

Susie

17. Q9650

Q9650 MDL Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I had the same problem with PerfectDisk 12.5, fast boot not working on win 8 ent x64...uninstalled PD12.5 and walaaa fast boot is working again :worthy:

Issue CONFIRMED!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  18. tgquan67

tgquan67 MDL Novice

Aug 15, 2012
    Hybrid startup involved hibernating, so can you check if those disk defrag software didn't delete/disable hiberfil.sys and the hibernating function?

19. RaxcoSupport

RaxcoSupport MDL Novice

Oct 25, 2012
    FROM RAXCO SOFTWARE:

During our research, we have found that during the fast startup process PerfectDisk's pdboot.exe is running and checking for boot time defrag schedules. The PDboot.exe is working as expected but it does slow down the boot time. This goes for any software that is configured in the boot execute key.

We have a tool that can remove pdboot.exe from the boot execute key which will allow the machine to boot fast but this removes the ability to run a boot time defrag. If you need to run a boot time defrag then you will need to go to the help tab, click product resources, under the diagnostics area, click start to find problems and then fix. This will re-insert pdboot.exe back into the boot execute key and allow the boot time defrag to work again.

Due to my access here, I am unable to post the pdbootcleanup link but you can Raxco support for it.

Susie