Hyper-V Boot from Flash

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by jordan.turner1974, Aug 29, 2009.

1. jordan.turner1974

jordan.turner1974 MDL Novice

Jul 30, 2009
    Does anyone know more on how to install Windows 2008 R2 with Hyper-V on Flash and boot from it - from any capable Hyper-V machines - basically a portable Hyper-V on a flash?

I am NOT asking how to install Windows 2008 FROM flash...difference between two.

Thanks.

2. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    it's not really possible due to different hardware and other stuff. Either way it will still install the boot loader on a physical partition.

So in other words it is not possible.

3. jordan.turner1974

Jul 30, 2009
    #3 jordan.turner1974, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    (OP)
    Wrong....

Folks, before you post, it would be nice to get some real knowledgeable response - it is possible FYI. It is part of R2 release in Hyper-V, the question I have is for people who actually has the OEM kit to enable or know how to do this - instructions. If the server is Hyper-V compatible and meets Windows 2008 hardware requirements, it does work. Just put it another way, if I can build Bart Boot disk and similar like tools, it would be simple for MS to do this also. I can do this today with VMWare ESX(i) on compatible hardwares, so of course you CAN possibly do it with Windows 2008 and Hyper-V. Googling the term returns hundred of hits but no instructions.

4. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    All the demo's i've seen of Windows7/SVR2008R2 booting from USB drives, aren't proper installs. There VHD's which are stored on the USB drive and loaded from WinPE using the updated Windows7/SVR2008R2 boot loader.

The only one i've actually seen in real life, was running SVR2008R2 and it ran so slow I don't think you could use Hyper-V on it.

5. jordan.turner1974

Jul 30, 2009
    #5 jordan.turner1974, Aug 29, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    (OP)
    Different

That is also a different thing...

What I am talking about is called a portable hypervisor - NOT the same as booting off VHD which I have already used. this is strictly for Hyper-V role.

6. jordan.turner1974

Jul 30, 2009
  7. jordan.turner1974

Jul 30, 2009
    Not so good...

This solution is not as good as I thought then. Linux based solutions are so much better because I can go to any machines with proper hardware and able to do it. I just wished Hyper-V was as flexible in its implementation.

8. duh

duh MDL Member

Jan 20, 2009
    some more info please.

hi,
    i am a little confused as boot windows server 2008 from flash, flash as in a pen drive? like those 512mb,1,2,4,8.16,32gb, pen drives? if thats what you intend to do? then i will have to say you are wasting your time. the average write life of those is 10 million or something, so even if you do it (i know how to get it done) will be an utter waste of time in the name of love.
    but if you got an external USB drive? then yes you can. if your CPU got intel/amd's virtualization tags and also virtualization is supported by the mother board then you may very well install windows server 2008 from a USB bay aka your version of flash. if you guys are interested i can do a detailed write up. let me know if you would like to have it step by step with screen shots. thanks.
    my laptop is compaq presario c734tu. its a 32 bit processor with 64 bit capabilities. i got windows server 2008 sp1 x64 installed on a USB and alas i dont have virtualization. i got it installed tho. but for virtualization i use vmware or qemu.
    its not difficult and requires a LOT OF PATIENCE, and LOADS OF LOVE.
    since someone is interested? i wouldn't mind a step by step guide along with registry hacks.
    i didnt post it before because people like to have it on their system hard drive, and only developers like me who like to play with multiple OS would like to have it. so let me know if you guys would like to see how its to be got done to boot windows server 2008 sp1 from USB or flash (i am still confused as is it flash drive of external usb drive, as flash will be a big waste of time and write/second will be a pain and to install it may take ages and if fails at one step you will end up banging your head on the wall, so unless you like to enjoy the pain and end up with a frustrated smile, there is no point posting it.) people like things done the easy way. this is way damn tough.
    -duh

9. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    And then 2 months later is become available

sebus