Hyper-V server 2012 R2 or server 2012 R2 with hyper V roll ?

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by 3sidedcube, Jul 4, 2015.

1. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    Ok to get straight to the point here.
    Stand alone hypervisor 2012 r2 is free which is excellent , But the catch is that the VM's that you connect to have to be licenced. so.
    Say if my hardware has the latest Slic 2.3 and then install Hyper-v Server 2012 R2 and set up a VM say server 2012 R2 with updates as a vhd and used the said cert 2.3 for 2012 in the vhd then it should be licenced. am I correct in that assumption ?
    if that is the case then I should be able to do the same with prior installations.

Also what would be best the stand alone hyper-V or the server with hyper-V roll Approach

:g:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #3 3sidedcube, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Yeah, it would be nice if Hyper-V or any Hypervisor worked that way. :)

I know you run Server 2012 from a .VHD but you can't run the Hyper-V role on it. Best I've managed was VMWare Player. :(

4. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    #5 3sidedcube, Jul 4, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    (OP)
    Have managed to run a vmware VM server 2012 R2 with updates and slic cert worked using the 440 way < simple
    but when I started the hyper -v roll on the server it would not run due to the fact i was in a hypervisor already

And yes I did set it up the other way as well in VMware as a vhd install as well same result i am already hypervised.
    so the next step is the mentioned above.

Or are you saying that if I install Server 2012 R2 with updates as a vhd attach way to my main machine I still will not be able to run the hyper-v roll form the server for the VM's that I want to create.

So I should install on HD and not into a VHD ?

ty in advance

5. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    OMFG I am a genius...
    Bootable VHD with server 2012 R2 updated with hyper-v roll working :)

6. 3sidedcube

3sidedcube MDL Member

Oct 1, 2009
    same with win 7, vista, and win8 and as I thought with latest slic hardware all activated and using cert and key for each win 7 is on main hdd and all others VHD's wicked ty all this will keep me busy for a while anyhow