Hyper V

Discussion in 'Virtualization' started by duartepascoal, Dec 25, 2013.

1. duartepascoal

duartepascoal MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    Guys i need some help, i need to do a project involving hyper v, a scholl project, but i dont know anything about it, i did a research on the web but i just couldnt understand what hyper v does.

Can someone explain me what hyper v does, what is the point of the hyper v?

Good night all

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    How can you have school project & not understand the subject?

3. duartepascoal

duartepascoal MDL Novice

Dec 18, 2013
    because i need to understand it by myself, and do the research, thats why i asked here

4. Mutagen

Mutagen MDL Addicted

Feb 18, 2013
    #5 Mutagen, Jan 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
    In very simple terms, it lets you run one or more "guest OS" (virtual machine) on a "host OS" (physical hardware). Let's say your computer has Windows 7 OS. With Hyper-V, you could also have Windows 8, OSX Mavericks and Ubuntu 13.10 (the guests) all running at the same time "inside" the physical host. Any guest will temporarily "borrow" from your host's resources while it is running. In my scenario above, if you wanted each guest to have 2GB of memory and 40GB of drive space, you would need 6GB of ram and 120GB of free drive space + enough left over for the host to operate.

I seriously doubt you could learn it in a day. If your project is due in a week and you have genuine interest in receiving a passing grade, that should work. Good luck. You may never need Hyper-V after this, but it never hurts to learn.

Most web hosting sites use virtual machines for their lower priced products. You pay more if you want your site running on physical hardware.

Not nearly as important, but a valid application of a virtual machine: Say you found a site with a bunch of cool hacks/tricks/mods involving Regedit, but you don't want to put your OS at risk. Just create a virtual machine running your current OS and make registry changes there. The worst that could happen is you lose the VM, which can always be recreated.