HyperV Server 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Mike.Chance, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    I've searched through the forum but can't see an answer to my question. If it is there - please point me to it.

I decided to setup a PC with Hyperv Server 2012 as the core installation and then play putting various VMs on.
    HyperV installed OK and I went through the various setup steps I found on the web; rename, set workgroup, date and time, network and a local admin account. I also enabled remote desktop and ping.

Its on a wired LAN.

I can ping the server by either IP or name.

I am unable to access via Remote Desktop Connection or add it to my Hyper-V Manager on my Win 8.1 PC.

Various tutorials appear to show people RDCing in after first setup.

A couple suggest the firewall may be an issue so I tried; netsh advfirewall set currentprofile settings remotemanagement enable; but that didn't help.

Can anyone suggest what is blocking my remote access?

2. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #2 kelorgo, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  3. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    Thank you so much. If I turn the firewall off I can access, so I was on the right track just not quite there.
    Clearly the netsh advfirewall set currentprofile settings remotemanagement enable didn't enable just for remote access.
    Clearly this needs more research, I prefer not to run it with the firewall off.

4. kelorgo

kelorgo MDL Addicted

Oct 29, 2012
    #4 kelorgo, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    Upon closer inspection, you are using the wrong command. What you did only enables a setting to allow remote management of the firewall itself, not the system as a whole. To allow remote desktop connections to pass through the firewall:
    Code:
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Remote Desktop" new enable=yes
    To additionally allow Windows Remote Management (WinRM) through the firewall (e.g. remote connections from Server Manager):
    Code:
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Windows Remote Management" new enable=yes
    To additionally allow remote connections from MMC snap-ins that use WMI (e.g. Service Manager, Event Viewer etc.):
    Code:
    netsh advfirewall firewall set rule group="Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)" new enable=yes
    Note that enabling these firewall rules is just the first step in allowing WinRM or WMI to work. Depending on your exact environment, additional configuration steps may be needed on your server or client. (In particular, if the server is not domain connected but is in a workgroup instead, additional settings are needed for WinRM and WMI).

5. Mike.Chance

Mike.Chance MDL Novice

Sep 29, 2013
    You sir are a superstar.
    Next time you bump into me in the bar - drinks on me :)